Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions

One casualty is impossible. I get 2 to 3 casualties for each volley fired at close range and 1 to 2 at extreme range. This at "winded" status. are you sure you are not using any other mods? check the trajectory by going in first person view from a soldier and see if they are shooting straight or the enemy is partially covered maybe?

Caius Bingerus's Avatar Tiro

hey masters of europe team, casualty rate is fine methinks, i suggest to everyone try to aim with a musket of that time, when bullets and canonballs fire through your regimental line, the screaming and the overall dust and smoke, this means pure physical and mental stress for the shooter, so casualties in firefights are only in very near distances, but i would like to see an improvement in ammunition for all infantry types for longer fights and tactical movements, 60 bullets per man was common and 10.000 musket shots = only 200/400 dead or wounded between 100 and 300 m combat range, what do ya think?
    ...the duty of a soldier ends only with his death...

Civis

i use razer cortex to enhance my games so i can try to record it, i'll post you a video maybe the monday, this weekend im totally busy XD.

roy64's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    One casualty is impossible. I get 2 to 3 casualties for each volley fired at close range and 1 to 2 at extreme range. This at "winded" status. are you sure you are not using any other mods? check the trajectory by going in first person view from a soldier and see if they are shooting straight or the enemy is partially covered maybe?
    I'm taking & giving plenty of casualties, I'm not seeing any of B1ackwolfs problems.

roy64's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Bingerus View Post
    but i would like to see an improvement in ammunition for all infantry types for longer fights and tactical movements, 60 bullets per man was common and 10.000 musket shots
    Agreed, more ammo is a must.

Hawkeye74's Avatar Tiro
    Based in Indonesia originally from Scotland East Coast

fair enough the point about smoke, why obscure detail after working so hard for it.

However, maybe a mod that would give those who, at the same time, admiring the fantastic work of yourself have a beefed up mod option, maybe compatible with Macdonalds or some such like.

Btw, I have been using BranMacBran's sub-mod for DMN and I must say I am impressed with the his work with the AI, I mean after all the beta testing I did for Darth, Brans surpasses anything I saw from Darth, which is in no way a disparaging comment on Darth's work, man's a miracle worker, but Bran ironed out the issues we lost sleep over.
    Ships! I see no ships!

jg209's Avatar Foederatus

I still think the cavalry's morale is still quite low - they seem to route very easily if they're not near the general. For example, after charging and routing a unit of light infantry the cavalry then routed because they sustained only 10 casualties.

the new username's Avatar Praepositus

I agree with the above poster
    It's quite frustrating seeing your cavalry unit rout because they only lost a handful of men
    And even more frustrating is when an enemy cavalry unit pursuits your routing unit and chops them to pieces
    I had to savescum some battles because of that.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I'll see what can be done for that when I make the update with Netherlands. I don't want to make a correction to the db and add a lot of new units at the same time. Finish Netherlands, then see to improve battle experience.

Quote Originally Posted by the new username View Post
    And even more frustrating is when an enemy cavalry unit pursuits your routing unit and chops them to pieces
    I had to savescum some battles because of that.
    Wait so you are saying that you are frustrated when cavalry does what it has to do? You are frustrated by what historically occurred? Then I'm afraid you should play a more simple game. NTW has bad BAI by itself and the one time you are actually challenged to use the types of cavalry available in a more intelligent manner you dont like it? I'm not saying it shouldn't be adjusted but your statements are questionable

Patrician Artifex

Beside, cavalry chopping down routing units has been trademark of Total War for very long. I agree it is not perfect, since the broken men are just killed by the cavalry at no risk. It would be better if they could defend themselves a little when fleeing, and kill a cavalryman from time to time, ot make ti a little risky. But I don't think it can be modded.
    So you have to find other way to avoid this, like keeping some cavalry of you own in reserve to counter his cavalry.

Shaggy2010's Avatar Miles

I have used the optional sound mod, It's been a long time since I have played NTW but found the sounds mostly decent but the muskets - they just sound like air guns to me.

Does this sound like vanilla sounds or the optional mod? I can tell the marching music etc is modded from memory.

jg209's Avatar Foederatus

you are actually challenged to use the types of cavalry available in a more intelligent manner
    I hid 5 units of cavalry in a forested area situated at the centre of my line, like this: INF\ CAV /INF. My plan was to engage the enemy with the infantry in a V shaped pincer move, then release the cavalry (which were hidden) straight into the middle of the enemy line (one unit thick) then continue to storm the artillery which was left behind undefended. I waited until the target enemy unit was about 70% strength then released 5 units (2 heavy, 1 light, 1 hussar, 1 lancer) into that one enemy unit. The plan worked, but the units took ~10 casualties each, after which they all seemed to think they were doomed and routed...

I must admit though, I've been testing the mod a lot and can say that it really is very good!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The level of detail is phenomenal!

PS: How do you quote people to show the original poster?

Hi Steph,

I just came back to Napoleon after a time and saw your mod. It looks amazing and am downloading it now. Quick question: when do you think the Ottomans will be finished? I always wanted to play a correct roster of them as they seem like a real challenge and a nice change from the typical factions.

Patrician Artifex

I'm working on Netherlands, I hope to finish them before end of June. Next will be the Ottomans, hopefully before end of August.

Hi Steph,

Thanks for the reply. I had two possible suggestions/ideas. I don't know how feasible they are:
    1. Is there going to be anyway to incorporate a manpower system where armies can only be a certain size based on historical limits/regions maybe (i.e. at height of the war French army stood ~1million men, whereas the british only had ~220,000)
    2. Will there be colonial units that one can draft since the french empire is not included due to the small map size it would be immersive to include faction specific colonial units with a limit cap that can be "brought over" from the colonies to fight on the mainland (i.e. Indian sepoys, or Haitian army, etc)

Patrician Artifex

1. There is already a kind of manpower system through the Area of Recruitment. For example, France can recruit up to 3 grenadiers in France, 2 in Alsace or Picardie, 1 in every other region. For a total of 16.
    So if France loose regions, then the manpower is reduced, and so is the army size.
    Each region allows some units,
    2. I've made a few colonial units, such as Brazilian or Mozambique units for Portugal, may be I will do more later. But I don't think it is very important as the colonial units fought in the colonies, and seldom in Europe.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Hey, have you considered giving early British Cuirassiers? The heavy dragoons were given cuirasses for the copengaen campain.
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Patrician Artifex

What copengaen campaign? Do you mean Battle of Copenhagen in 1801? 1807?
    Last edited by Steph; May 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM.

It would be nice to add university to Portugal and to others minor factions in Grand Campaign. This will make game more interesting and balanced for minor factions. I play with Italy (11th turn) and this faction has raserch-university. For example "Fire and advance" tech gave me oppotunity to defeat Austrian army in hard battle.I had small army but, my troops reloaded faster. I thich techs are important tactical issues.