Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who is afraid...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I the only one who is afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga
    My primary two concerns are moddability and that this will focus too much on the last hurrahs of the Republic, from the Gracchi Brothers down to Augustus. That's an interesting period sure, but I think a lot of our appeal (beyond those who are dogmatic to Rome) is for the earlier 3rd century engagements across the Mediterranean. Yet it's also interesting to have the Third Punic War depicted in that demo, rather than the usual focus on the second punic war.

All in all I am obviously very happy with this.
    CA had intended to release RTW with a number of provincial campaigns, I think there were even references to the 'Caesar in Gaul' campaign in the final release and rumour has it a 'Spartacus' campaign was intended. I'm hoping they go back to this idea. Even if provincials appear as DLC that wouldn't be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SinerAthin View Post
    Am I the only one who likes pharaoes and the stereotypical Roman Legions?
    Yes, we had all the others executed.

As far as moddability goes, I do think they(CA) will at least try to give more support. Their recent history and statements indicate that they at least are trying to give some support. You can't just ignore that they launched the map editor, the Db tables(largely useless by then from what I have read) and they are doing this modding summit thingy.

They are at least trying, whether they have been successful or not its another debate.

But yeah I do think they will at least try to add more tools.

I hope they'll iron out the problems with modability they had with the engine in Empire, Napoleon and Shogun. Rome TW (is still) a great game to play because it lives on in the community by being played in various mods.

The announcement of being able to play any nation or tribe from the start seems promising. But I hope they put emphasis into the design. If it is rushed, great potential may yet be lost again.

Anyway - I am looking forward to RTW-2.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Holy ,if I was a CA worker,I would be very upset about this thread.You should at least say thank you,not whine about moddability.They work for years to bring you Rome 2,and everyone is like:"Ok,I don't care about the game you have been working on for years, it,just give me the mods so I could be entertained".Besides, in one of the previews it is stated that they have been working with professional historians,so be relieved,Rome 2 will be the best TW so far.
    PS: Author of the thread,don't be a child,life is not always about what you want.

Does anybody wants to play the actual game packaged (or steamloaded) as it is when you install it?
    Modding is nice, and it's supposed to be a good alternative after the vanilla campaign is finished and did all the pre-packaged scenarios and whatnots and you want more fun out of the game.
    Modding isn't supposed to be fixing anything, but provide more hours of fun with the same working game.

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for Rome 2 -_- View Post
    Besides, in one of the previews it is stated that they have been working with professional historians,so be relieved,Rome 2 will be the best TW so far.
    Working with an advisor doesn't mean anything. Call of Duty has worked with military advisors for it's entire span, doesn't make it accurate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for Rome 2 -_- View Post
    PS: Author of the thread,don't be a child,life is not always about what you want.
    Mods allow him to make what he wants, he doesn't have to have it handed to him on a silver platter.

Does anybody wants to play the actual game packaged (or steamloaded) as it is when you install it?
    Modding is nice, and it's supposed to be a good alternative after the vanilla campaign is finished and did all the pre-packaged scenarios and whatnots and you want more fun out of the game.
    Modding isn't supposed to be fixing anything, but provide more hours of fun with the same working game.
    Well, if the vanilla is like the past three versions of TW and the modding is the same as those same three versions then there is very little reason to buy the game. Maybe some players are just wanting to at least get the latter from CA so that they can have some control, rather than being stuck with another unmodable Empire.

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

If it supports mods I'll buy it at release no question.

But no mods = no sale for me. Will probably get it when it's 10 bucks or so on sale, just because it's Rome.

Read the previews, there saying each faction will have its own unique culture and tech trees.
    If that is true I m less scared now.

Also I think that it will be less moddable the the previous TW games.

Quote Originally Posted by Angatar View Post
    Working with an advisor doesn't mean anything. Call of Duty has worked with military advisors for it's entire span, doesn't make it accurate at all.
    Oliver Stone's Alexander had a few historians on its crew, as well, and just look how that turned out...

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    CA had intended to release RTW with a number of provincial campaigns, I think there were even references to the 'Caesar in Gaul' campaign in the final release and rumour has it a 'Spartacus' campaign was intended. I'm hoping they go back to this idea. Even if provincials appear as DLC that wouldn't be so bad.

Yes, we had all the others executed.

Provincial Campaigns are fine - ETW had them too. What isn't is when they become the game itself - one can argue that Napoleon was an example (given outlying events like the War of 1812, Anglo-Marathi Wars, Napoleon in Egypt though that was I think a provincial campaign).

I don't like the backlash against modders, it strikes me as rather sycophantic to be honest - modding always improves a game even if it is very great. There's no reason to treat modders as somehow an enemy or challenge to your own capacity to enjoy the game.

Paragon's Avatar Senator

GAME HAS JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED AND IS STILL MORE THAN A YEAR FROM BEING FINISHED

I WANT TO MOD IT ALREADY
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dax View Post
    Oliver Stone's Alexander had a few historians on its crew, as well, and just look how that turned out...
    A very good movie that I enjoy to watch a lot.
    but you will never hear my say "its totally true, just look up oliver sto...."
    same goes for Rome total war, it was a good looking game I enjoyed it a hell a lot.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post

I don't like the backlash against modders, it strikes me as rather sycophantic to be honest - modding always improves a game even if it is very great. There's no reason to treat modders as somehow an enemy or challenge to your own capacity to enjoy the game.
    its the market Ahiga. Modders are often seen as competition to DLCs. CA needs to hit their targets, and the consumer has voted with their wallets since the DLCs became a good revenue stream. If they give modders too much info/tools, mods will be sprouting up in direct competition to DLCs. I dont like it,but i can understand their viewpoint. I wish there was a cut off point though. After a set period of time, where no more DLCs are planned to be released, give modders the tools. Moddability is the reason why the original Rome is still selling strong.

But in this case, the engine for Empire was due to be used for several more games so they still had to keep it on the dL.

FFS people, you've seen two screenshots of alpha software a year away from release. Enough of this gloom and doom crap. You don't know anything at this point.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

Domesticus

Can't say im a big fan of the whole packing stuff up idea, with regions becoming provinces and armies being grouped in "legions".

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    its the market Ahiga. Modders are often seen as competition to DLCs. CA needs to hit their targets, and the consumer has voted with their wallets since the DLCs became a good revenue stream. If they give modders too much info/tools, mods will be sprouting up in direct competition to DLCs. I dont like it,but i can understand their viewpoint. I wish there was a cut off point though. After a set period of time, where no more DLCs are planned to be released, give modders the tools. Moddability is the reason why the original Rome is still selling strong.

But in this case, the engine for Empire was due to be used for several more games so they still had to keep it on the dL.
    That makes sense for the developers, less so for regular gamers. Yet now I'm seeing people snap at us and it doesn't make sense - not for modders being smug or arrogant but for simply wanting to mod.

I do think that CA is not really malicious, they are correct that compared to the text files of old the new stuff isn't less intuitive. I just want to see apparent roadblocks removed especially on map and provinces. Unit model/texture wise too, but really map and provinces.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    That makes sense for the developers, less so for regular gamers. Yet now I'm seeing people snap at us and it doesn't make sense - not for modders being smug or arrogant but for simply wanting to mod.

I do think that CA is not really malicious, they are correct that compared to the text files of old the new stuff isn't less intuitive. I just want to see apparent roadblocks removed especially on map and provinces. Unit model/texture wise too, but really map and provinces.
    I agree with you brother. I just hope modders can do with Rome 2 what you, Miraj, AD, Grandviz et al did with Rome 1 when you made Broken Crescent. Mods like yours are the reason M2TW still sells for £15 in some stores.

The problem is that CA has no reason to make the game modable when people are willing to buy a game with ten playable factions and then pay money for new units/factions. This wasn't a problem back when there were expansions, even though they could be seen as competing with mods. Expansions brought new content and features that mods couldn't give, but then allowed mods to work with the new material after purchase. Now, with DLC, any modding (since half the stuff comes on the discs now) infringes the ability of the company to make more money.

I completely understand why CA does it, but as a customer I too have every right to not buy the game if they choose to not even throw a bone to the modding community. A "modder's summit" doesn't mean jack squat; it's a publicity stunt at best. Everyone says that CA pays attention to what happens here on TWC, yet that seems to accomplish nothing as well.

I agree with you brother. I just hope modders can do with Rome 2 what you, Miraj, AD, Grandviz et al did with Rome 1 when you made Broken Crescent. Mods like yours are the reason M2TW still sells for £15 in some stores.
    And are the reason why people are willing to pay such prices for old games. Hats off to you guys.

That modder's summit is still going ahead right? They wouldn't gather people up to tell them to sod off would they. Let's wait and see.

Oh and frankly, Empire and Napoleon have been modded into truly GREAT games, if the modding ability is better than that, it's just a bonus as far as i'm concerned.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast