Page 28 of 317 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637385378128 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Pictures & Videos Thread

totalwar-zone's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Total War: Rome II - Preview Pictures & Videos Thread

its from powerplay.
    Empire Total war Symbolic

Quote Originally Posted by hannibalbarca13 View Post
    I haven't read anywhere that Romans used artillery on their ships at circa 200 B.C. I don't know why, maybe because this artillery was not so important that you can "bombard" cities and have devastating results (bombard=devastation in my mind). If you can provide me with a source, i would thank you
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpax

If they used catapults to shoot grappling hooks, then why shouldn't they have used them to shoot other projectiles?
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

I haven't read anywhere that Romans used artillery on their ships at circa 200 B.C. I don't know why, maybe because this artillery was not so important that you can "bombard" cities and have devastating results (bombard=devastation in my mind). If you can provide me with a source, i would thank you
    They did use ballistae and even catapults. A simple Google search would show you many sufficient results...
    The Armenian Issue

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I just don't want a coastal city to being bombarded by catapult ships and huge stones to destroy buildings, towers, soldiers. That is what seemed terrifying to me. If something like that ever happened, i am sure it happened in a small scale and the results were insignificant (the city was not destroyed and waited a small army to capture it).

I hope i made my opinion clearer than before. Thanks for the info

I just don't want a coastal city to being bombarded by catapult ships and huge stones to destroy buildings, towers, soldiers. That is what seemed terrifying to me. If something like that ever happened, i am sure it happened in a small scale and the results were insignificant (the city was not destroyed and waited a small army to capture it).

I hope i made my opinion clearer than before. Thanks for the info

FINALLY SOMEONE VOICED MY THOUGHTS !!! THANK YOU !!!

Default Re: Two exclusive new Rome II screenshots!!

Nice shields.

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

yep northern african forest elephant, smaller, less bully then the african steppe elephant, has smaller ears and is easier to domesticate.
    if the carthagenians had african steppe elephants......mars save the romans!

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar-zone View Post
    A New Pic?
    Woho, where did you find that? That is artwork, but it is cool and definitely official. It is very similar to the one where a bunch of principes are looking at some elephants charging on the streets in terms of graphics so that's why I say is official. Nice of you to share!
    RTWRM - back to basics

dom385's Avatar Senator

I just thought of something, if you attack a town via an amphibious landing, and that town has a port with enemy ships in, will the besieged city be able to use those ships to attack your invasion fleet?

totalwar-zone's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Petroniu View Post
    Woho, where did you find that? That is artwork, but it is cool and definitely official. It is very similar to the one where a bunch of principes are looking at some elephants charging on the streets in terms of graphics so that's why I say is official. Nice of you to share!
    onemoretime:from powerplay
    Empire Total war Symbolic

dom(le wild number): so it seems :

http://nestmitchtri.blogspot.com.es/...val-myths.html I do not know the historical accuracy of this site about naval roman things, but they talk there about artillery on ships. It seems that Romans used adapted ships in the siege of Syracuse with assault towers and ladders and so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_o...E2%80%93212_BC)

Also see the siege of Tyre by Alexander here and all the rest interesting too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic-era_warships
    Last edited by Bethencourt; July 23, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

onemoretime:from powerplay
    Hehe! You should know that this is not the thread where you answered twice from where you found the pic. I was the first and only to ask you here. I guess you lost track of your posts.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Yeah Plutarch and others talk about the siege of Syracuse. Some pretty epic stuff.

This is going to be great. Hopefully the updates and patches match up with features and gameplay mechanics.

Nice pictures. Such a long wait....omg
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; July 30, 2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: d-post

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    yep northern african forest elephant, smaller, less bully then the african steppe elephant, has smaller ears and is easier to domesticate.
    if the carthagenians had african steppe elephants......mars save the romans!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The North African elephant was also trained and used by the Ptolemaic dynasty of Egypt. Writing in the 2nd century BC, Polybius (The Histories; 5.83) described their inferiority in battle against the larger Indian elephants used by the Seleucid kings. A surviving Ptolemaic inscription enumerates three types of war elephant, the "Troglodytic" (probably Libyan), the "Ethiopian", and the "Indian". The Ptolemaic king prides himself with being the first to tame the Ethiopian elephants, a stock which could be identical to one of the two extant African species.
    hmm...

maybe they also extincted because of the romans....they exterminated all lions, cheetahs, leopards and tigers. maybe they did so with the forest elephants too...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

unfortunetally in german (left forest elephant, right steppe elephant)

as this is a congo forest elephant(looks different) i guess the greeks, ptolemies, seluikides, carthagenians, etc. used the extincted ethiopian species
    Last edited by PunitorMaximus; July 24, 2012 at 04:36 AM.

Maleventum's Avatar Decanus

Yes , in historic times (not prehistoric) many animals like bears, elephants , leopards , lions (the lions lived also in Southern Europe like Greece, Italy : the Panthera leo europea now extinct )lived in N. Africa, tigers an asian elephants also libed in Anatolia and Syria, they were all captured for the circus hunts (venationes)

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

That looks really beautiful and scary Elephant now than in Rome I. Now I am serious afraid them in game. Good picture!

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Master.Mind View Post
    http://www.totalwar-rome-2.de/neue-d...war-rome-2-78/

Here is a translation:

sea battles are now dominated by ram and boarding maneuvers ( who would have thought)

There will be catapult ships, which are espically useful when you attack cities
    Yummeeee!