View Poll Results: what kind of MP modes would you prefer in TW:R2 (feel free to choose multiple stuff)

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • classical mode PvP Team vs Team, Free for all (Rome 1 like), perhaps with less or no unit skilling and retainers

137 47.40%
  • Avatar mode as known, matchmade battles

72 24.91%
  • something new (evolved)

101 34.95%
  • a working bug free MP campaign for 2 players

109 37.72%
  • a working bug free MP campaign for 4 players

167 57.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: ROME II - Official Multiplayer discussion.

Default Re: ROME II - Official Multiplayer discussion.

multiplayer?

whats that.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi everyone just want to announce that we have some vital updates in the TW Rome 2 Multiplayer petition thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=548858

Also I would like to thank you 201 visitors who already took part on my attached poll here. The results are very interesting.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SusScrofa View Post
    Loaded up Napoleon and Empire to play some multiplayer TW after a long break. I find it tiresome to see players still forced to employ honor system rules like "no arty" etc. Don't get me wrong, I think such rules are often key to make a balanced multiplayer game. It's just frustrating that CA still hasn't implemented anything to make it easier to host with such rules.

How difficult is it to allow the hosting player to remove certain unit types from the selection menu?

I never did multiplayer Rome, but I'm guessing the same community based honor system battle rules were in effect for it as well. CA should take the time to add a "remove unit type" feature to the hosts menu in Rome2.

good thoughts, I will talk to my friends if we can use your idea in our Rome 2 TW petition aswell.
    oh btw you should try Rome MP and host a game with 3k no rules or 6k 20 units no rules (full stack)>> loads of fun mate.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

They should include hotseat in the new Rome. It was a real shame that they didnt include hotseat in the more recent titles, it made the game far more interesting playing with a friend or brother. I bought Empire expecting that it would be included - but it wasn't, it was a real disappointment...So this is a message directed to the developers, please include hotseat in Rome 2, it makes the game far more social let's face it, the ai will never react like a human would. I would encourage community support on this issue because I would not be surprised if the developers overlook this and just include multiplayer campaigns...

Yeah, I agree SableUK, I've been looking for any sign of hotseat for Rome 2, pretty disappointed with Empire and Napoleon's disregarding it. It can't be that hard to implement, I mean they did it for Kingdoms. Hopefully the developers take notice.

Argon Viper's Avatar Ducenarius

Hotseat is going away as developers assume you'll just use two computers and play over the online connection. Apparently they live in some kind of fantasy world where the internet never goes out and everyone has dozens of high powered gaming computers at home

Yes I agree the must make the hotseat possible because even when you have internet you could play with another player but not at the same time.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Why can't there be PvP multiplayer and avatar multiplayer and a multiplayer campaign for up to 4 players?
    Is that too much to ask for?
    Last edited by Darth Red; December 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: double post
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Bellus88's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon4 Multiplayer Campaign, will they have it?

Im hoping they have a multiplayer campaign where you can play with 1 person and a bunch of AI or an entire group of friends. It would work by starting a game and if someone leaves the game then it would be saved for them and their faction would be switched to AI. All players could also agree on how long to play and when finished they would each have their game saved and would meet up again another time, there would need to be a friendslist system.

There should also be an option for when you are playing the single player campaign, every time you fight the enemy AI army, it automatically matchmakes you with a human player who would control the enemy army on the battle map but the AI would control the campaign map.

If Rome 2 does not have a multiplayer campaign then I probably won't buy it.

I believe all of those except the 4 player MP campaign are already in Shogun 2. We can hope that they add that as well though

Default Re: Multiplayer Campaign, will they have it?

I agree it should have a stable multilayer campaign which it has it now but its very bugy.....
    "Honor and Glory There is no good and evil only how you perceive it."

The co-op campaign in Shogun 2 was pretty good, but I'd like to see it expanded for more than two players. Why can't every playable faction be a human being in a massive free for all?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yes though I can max maybe 4.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Of course, there will be a multiplayer campaign :-) CA said that they were working on something big for the multiplayer aspect of the game. It's bound to be a improved MPC. Or at least, I very much hope so :p

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

MPC isnt that buggy tbh, not anymore. S2TW and FotS are both damn fine MPC experiences now, wasnt always like that mind!

What they need to do for the future in regards to MPC is simply increase the player amount and incorporate some sort of optional cloud storage for saves.

Basically, if i finish my turn and next player isnt online, the save is uploaded to the cloud and when next player comes on Steam he gets notification saying its his turn. He can load it up, access his save, input his pw and play his turn, if next player not online it just gets saved in the cloud for them and the process repeats.

In this way, you could have upto 8 person MPC and it wouldnt really be impossible because of time restraints, which is the main draw back to doing it imo (how often can you get the same 8 people online, ready to play, at the same time?)

What about battles you say? That could work in the same way! If i have to fight another human controlled faction and the player isnt online, the pre battle point gets saved until both me and other player are online and have got the save loaded up, then we fight our battle and i go back to finishing my turn or whatever.

In this way, you get the best of both MPC and Hotseats, which is just about where you want it to be i reckon!

very complicated they put lists with host games in Shogun 2

very complicated they put lists with host games in Shogun 2. I hope not for Rome2

Quote Originally Posted by emotion_name View Post
    MPC isnt that buggy tbh, not anymore. S2TW and FotS are both damn fine MPC experiences now, wasnt always like that mind!

What they need to do for the future in regards to MPC is simply increase the player amount and incorporate some sort of optional cloud storage for saves.

Basically, if i finish my turn and next player isnt online, the save is uploaded to the cloud and when next player comes on Steam he gets notification saying its his turn. He can load it up, access his save, input his pw and play his turn, if next player not online it just gets saved in the cloud for them and the process repeats.

In this way, you could have upto 8 person MPC and it wouldnt really be impossible because of time restraints, which is the main draw back to doing it imo (how often can you get the same 8 people online, ready to play, at the same time?)

What about battles you say? That could work in the same way! If i have to fight another human controlled faction and the player isnt online, the pre battle point gets saved until both me and other player are online and have got the save loaded up, then we fight our battle and i go back to finishing my turn or whatever.

In this way, you get the best of both MPC and Hotseats, which is just about where you want it to be i reckon!
    I like the idea of cloud saves. Shogun 2 already debuted a limited system of this. Unfortunately I don't have access to it at the moment, so I can't confirm it, but I do recall games being saved to the cloud. Great idea though, +rep for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Argon Viper View Post
    The co-op campaign in Shogun 2 was pretty good, but I'd like to see it expanded for more than two players. Why can't every playable faction be a human being in a massive free for all?
    Because every battle would have to be played out. Imagine how long just a few turns would take. The only way I can see it working is if when one player leaves, the CPU temporarily takes over and another player is soon found to replace the AI.

Im imagining a cooperative campaign where each player takes the role of a General within one faction. Say the chosen faction is Rome and there are 4 players. One player would take the role of the faction leader. The other 3 players would take roles as army Generals. These generals and the faction leader general would be units on the campaign map.

The faction leader would be responsible for delegating missions of taking settlements to the generals. The generals would then carry out the missions as they see fit. Each general would command a personal army, with their own funds they could hire more troops where available in the field or from nearby settlements. The faction leader would also train and delegate state troops to each general as they wish. As well as adding rewards of more troops or money to missions. I like the idea of the faction leader having the ability to leave Rome to command his own army if he pleases too, which would have positive affects on the battlefield but possibly negative affects on social issues, corruption or the economy, whatevers a realistic consequence of having the emperor leave on a campaign, leaving it up to the player to decide what kind of emperor to be. Likewise a general would find traits to gain by spending time in cities, not just in combat.

Just like in the single player generals would gain traits and followers which would affect things like troop morale and army upkeep. If a general dies in battle or from natural causes the player takes on a new general to command his active army with these traits and followers lost.

This way, while on the campaign map players would be able to make their moves within the same turn. Battles can be played in 3D with the other players being able to carry on on the campaign map or being a spectator of the battle, if they are not also fighting in it as reinforcements.

Hopefully ive explained this idea well enough. In my mind it sounds pretty fun.