Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How long sexism will be tolerated around here?

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default How long sexism will be tolerated around here?

Ok, the site is prodominently male, and we have all agreed to permit some "adult" fun and discuss the pleasures of female form. Nothing bad here.

Don't you think that lately a subtle line is about to be crossed. Say the line between Girl and Slut?

I would like the opinion of the CURIA on this matter.

Thank you
    Garb.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; April 27, 2006 at 08:30 AM.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Default Re: How long sexism will be tolarated around here?

there have definately been a surge in the number of threads that don't deserve a life outside the Babes thread, but we've been closing them down pretty much as fast as they have been opening.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Quote Originally Posted by Tacticalwithdrawal
    there have definately been a surge in the number of threads that don't deserve a life outside the Babes thread, but we've been closing them down pretty much as fast as they have been opening.
    And I applaud you for this. Any ideas about preventing them from opening in the first place?
    :original:

as far as i'm concerned, slut is a pretty offensive term to most women i know. as a matter of course, any user who calls another user a slut is flaming and will be moderated.

i have noticed an increase in sexism and degradation of women in the general discussion areas, along the lines of women only exist to please men
    obviously, such an attitude should be discouraged

Tacs right. It sometimes does seem a little brash out there, but the Mods are on it. Unless theres some form of public action to stop it being posted in the first place theres not much we can do.

That being said i dont want more female members being driven off. its nice to have a feminine point of view around the place.

I'm with Tac here, but we cant delete every post that is "Sexist". Personally I delete the really bad ones but leave the mild ones, (depending on the content) people just have to ignore them of try and educate them. But these stupid threads have been, and will continue to be - Closed.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

I'm sure that a strong message to the perpatrators will go a long way to minimize the occurence of such threads.
    And I reiterate: aesthetics GOOD
    "Oh my god 1111!!! blond stupid sluts hehehe ***** 111!!!! ": NOT GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by rez
    That being said i dont want more female members being driven off. its nice to have a feminine point of view around the place.
    that's my greatest fear, one of the things that attracts me to TWC is that we do have a broad range of races, creeds, relegions etc.

The one under-represented grouping is women and I would hate anything to happen to drive the few women members we have away (or for that matter, any other 'group').

Not sure how we can stop this getting to that stage (although mst of the women on this site are more than capable of standing up for themselves).

But basically, if people keep opening this sort of thread in the face of constant closure's and PM's from moderators they will start earning warnings (eg. Mod asks you not to do something, mod then tells you not to do something, mod then hands out a warning/caution/suspension for continuing to do it).

We've got the Babes (and Hunks) threads, they should be enough.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Personaly i'm more offended by this one, i see no real disscution from the original post, and alot of bad attitudes towards women in some of the subsequent posting. maybe i'm wrong but i think it should at least be suspended until some one can give a good reason to keep it open. this thread was equally cited as insulting by stern, who has left the community as a result.
    fake doctor.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49501

Closed :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by halie satanus
    Personaly i'm more offended by this one, i see no real disscution from the original post, and alot of bad attitudes towards women in some of the subsequent posting. maybe i'm wrong but i think it should at least be suspended until some one can give a good reason to keep it open. this thread was equally cited as insulting by stern, who has left the community as a result.
    fake doctor.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49501

Closed :wink:
    I've been watching it since it started and decided to give it a chance, now got bored so closed it.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Many peoples attitudes towards women on this forum is worrying. Many male members seem to view them as objects for their pleasure, instead of as their equals. Whilst many of the people with this attitude are teenagers, it is not an excuse, i have always respected women and treated them as my equals and my superiors in some cases. All we can do is close all the threads outside of the babes thread that come up, which we are, and try to discuss the peoples attitudes towards women with them.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Let me just say that I'm happy to see this discussion taking place and action be taken against the offending threads. I raised a similiar issue at another site and was either ignored or told that what I consider offensive images were not offensive.

Always keep in mind that this is a "gaming" site, and therefore will draw an audience of all ages, and thus should only have content appropriate for all ages.

Thanks and keep up the good work guys!

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

While I certainly agree that calling a woman a slut is absolutely offensive, I'd even take an extra step that slut is one of those words that is not appropriate in any context.

However, I can't help but feel that we are simply sleeping in the bed we've made. We have this "Babes" and this "Hunks" thread which is nothing but purely oogling, which is fine. Have your fun I say, I just don't grace those threads. However, to promote such sexism, and then cry foul when it spills out to other threads? Hypocrisy.

Always keep in mind that this is a "gaming" site, and therefore will draw an audience of all ages, and thus should only have content appropriate for all ages.
    Amen! Give this user some rep! Not only should we keep in mind that a gaming site draws audiences of all ages, we should also realize that some of those ages don't understand "its all in good fun" and "just because we diminish the value of men and women in our Babes and Hunks threads, that doesn't mean you can do it to a more severe degree in a different thread."

Double standards make for nothing but users who don't understand why their threads are being closed.

If I were still in office, I would have killed a few people by now. Kill the firestarters before the fire gets a chance to spread.

Dirk Gently's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: How long sexism will be tolerated around here?

Well, I said I would lobby voiciferously on ana, so here I am -

My opinion on this matter is clear. The deletion of some of the posts that have been produced to me would be, if examined within the context of the wider manner in which TWC conducts itself, harsh. The intention of the majority of the posts is not -generally- to offend, either, it's just thoughtless, tactless, ignorant, nasty and generally unwise and unworldly.

The point that is far more important to make is that, as members with Civ+ status, there is an onus upon every single member who (in a manner of speaking) represents one to whom other members should, in the content and thought of their posts, aspire to imitate. The obligation, not necessarily one based around the letter of the law, is equally relevant in consideration; civitates and their superiors should not remain so if they choose to exercise their prerogative and say stupid things, which they should become aware of as being unacceptable henceforth. If people agree with me, anyway - because I'm fairly sure Civ+ posters have been involved in some of this posting.

I also feel it is necessary that the modding staff step in quickly to warn posters who pursue threads which could easily slide in to sexist banter that such a thing won't be tolerated - this should satisfy the desire I know some will have not to censor posts, even if this place is not exactly a mainstream newspaper; there can be no harm in discouraging sexist (and in fact, any other sort of vile behavior) language if it seems likely that it will emerge, or a poster has erred dangerously toward it.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; April 27, 2006 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Many a man can seem respectable and hide at will behind a spiral staircase" - Wodehouse
    My Patron is Wilpuri.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Yes, prevention is better than deletion, the only problem is that people who are really new to the forum may not realise this isnt the kind of place the tolerates more frivilous forms of posting - generaly those which tend ultimately to be offensive to a majority.

So i'm very grateful that we dont have free speach around here, the fact that moderators actively delete pointless threads and give warnings is what makes places like this great.

Other than that, i dont know what could be done
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

This is a very tough issue for moderators and yet I believe we handle it well overall. As Tac has said, these threads are generally stopped fairly quickly but we also must take into account that we don't impose our own cultural beliefs on others.

To me many words are totally offensive yet I am aware that to some people 'slut' for example is an accepted word.

It does appear that those who 'offend' are generally very young in the grand scheme of things at TWC, another consideration really. But we must put things into context - we are not necessairly being flooded with these threads (though they are generally unwelcome) and the best way of addressing a particularly badly worded thread (as in offensive) is not to post in it but to report it. It mught take time and a lot of will power but it is by far the most effective way of dealing with it. Responding often leads to situations we all regret.

However, it is not me to dictate how anyone responds (short of demanding people stay within the ToS) but I would urge people to act with restraint and be thoughtful. My personal advice is to shun these threads and report. Easy and effective. Good on the blood pressure too!

They'll always be opening, with some people just wanting to talk about them. I think what the mods have been doing has been great, and the "Sexiest slut thread" was absurd, but is this going a bit too far? Will the "Babes" thread be closed, aswell? Is it sexist to like the body of a woman?

As many may know, I don't go there anymore, but my point is still valid.

I don't think the babes thread is sexist. If that were true you should call every man in existence a sexist. Truly how many of us have never looked at a woman we do not know and thought Wow!

As long as the dialogue doesnt go too far it should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus-Popat
    They'll always be opening, with some people just wanting to talk about them. I think what the mods have been doing has been great, and the "Sexiest slut thread" was absurd, but is this going a bit too far? Will the "Babes" thread be closed, aswell? Is it sexist to like the body of a woman?

As many may know, I don't go there anymore, but my point is still valid.
    Nope, the "Babes" is sort of an ...ehem... instituition around here, and despite the mild/moderate controvertial nature, it can be funny and even enjoyable. I only proposed that we should keep it that way, and not let offensive mutations of it spill everywhere in the site...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast