Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Yōkai (Abandoned)

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Yōkai (Abandoned)

The tale of a boy caught in the spider's web of revolutionary Japan. Trapped between the nefarious Emperor and the scheming Shogun, as well as their associated agents, can he survive long enough to forge a path of his own?

Contents

Act I: The Demon of Asahi
    The Demon of Asahi The Inkless Woman A Silent SongstressVigilShimetsuSake Okasan The Flip of a Coin Pursed Lips The Final Piece of the Puzzle Maruni Mitsu Aoi Pilgrimage Embers The Kindest Eyes Mandarin Ducks

Act II: The Road to Osaka
    Unbroken Bonds Guardian Angel Of Silence and Stares The Lady of the Inn By Moonlight Karakuri The Clockwork Army Resolve Journeying West I am Mashira A Rider in Red Cornered The Last Days of Autumn Journey's End Upon Broken Wings Duel Let There Be Light

Act III: Weighed Down
    Tsukumogami To One's Senses Shelter A Midnight Meeting The Shoreside Suggestion The Greatest Victory Compromise Rumours from Edo Burdens Across the Straits Nagasaki Overheard The Reporter's Tale In Beauty's Company Amber and Ember Sonno Joi Promises

Act IV: Of Nightingale and Gossamer
    Separation

Maps

The Road to Osaka

Dramatis Personae
    Possible spoilers

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Act I

Akashi Kyoumu
    Captain in the imperial military. Seconded from the Tsu garrison at Iga to investigate a series of paranormal murders in the township of Asahi.

Norito Tsuya
    A native of Asahi town and local police officer. Returned from training to assist Akashi in his investigation.

Itoguchi Yosuka
    A victim of the murders in Asahi town, the circumstances surrounding her death are particularly suspicious.

Suzushi Yosome
    A young woman residing in Asahi, notable for her upbeat personality and
    flamboyant attire.

Yaridama Chiryo
    The widow of Yaridama Izen, the former police chief of Asahi.

Act II

Tsukaru Shinji
    A young boy with a mysterious power. His personality is somewhat peculiar.

Nishina Hitsumei
    A Christian nun, pledged to deliver Shinji to Rome.

Kaname Yukemuri
    An doll-maker from Matsusaka, not entirely pleased with with the 'opening up' of Japan.

Mashira
    A strange man, distinguished by his fine clothes and monkey-mask.

The Red Rider
    A samurai wearing ancient and frightful livery, who appears to be pursuing Nishina and Shinji.

Act III

Ryukei
    A demon hunter also on the trail of Nishina and Shinji.

Satetsugawa Sakka

A journalist working for the Yokohama Daily newspaper. Dainty, with some mixed priorities and a general obliviousness, she somehow gets herself caught up in the hunt for Shinji. Not that she's complaining of course.

Saigo Takamori
    General of the Satsuma domain and hero of the Tozama.

Act IV

Sokaku
    An old lady who rescues Nishina from death.

Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; March 11, 2016 at 04:24 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai

The Demon of Asahi

Asahi-cho, Tsu-han, August 1864

The town of Asahi w
    as plagued by a demon. When clouds obscured lunar glow, an amethyst mist would descend, depraving inhabitants of any opportunity to observe their predator. Although one could not see his hand before his own face, one could still clear the screams which permeated the haze with frightening amplifiance. They were screams that captain Akashi Kyoumu had heard every night since his arrival.

In truth, boarding up the windows and affixing extra bolt locks to the police station doors wasn’t exactly work befitting of a young sheriff – certainly eluding the itinerary he had been presented upon his departure from Iga two cycles of the moon previous. Yet whatever fell afoul of the mist risked a fatal dance. Akashi knew not what demon possessed the nightly fog that befell the town, yet he knew that over two dozen people had been culled since its unearthly arrival. There was no slice of katana through night air, nor crimson splayed across unfortunate abodes; just screams, silence and one less member of his flock come dawn. The captain, wise enough despite his youth, dared not bring musket to bear against this foe, content instead to imprison himself at every sunset. The villagers of Asahi were surely losing faith in their new sheriff, yet they were losing their lives at a far faster rate.

“Is it safe yet?”

Akashi glanced back at Norito. His assistant, by whatever grace of God, was younger even than he – barely qualified in puberty enough to avoid the moniker ‘boy’. A native of Asahi, Norito Tsuya served as the sheriff’s deputy. Despite his place of upbringing however, he remained the most recent acquisition of the local police force – only joining the captain a fortnight previous. He also remained its only other member.

“It looks like it,” Akashi spoke a little flatly. With practised eyes, he peered through a boarded up window. The mist had indeed retreated and the first lights of dawn had begun shedding across the graveyard town outside. The captain sighed. At first, the piercing sounds of his citizens succumbing to the midnight terror had shaken him to his core. Now they merely just kept him from his slumbers. Stifling a yawn, he patiently made his way to the station’s door, moving to unbolt the many Western appendages that guaranteed his safety every moonrise. Behind him, Norito buttoned his onyx hued tunic; still crumpled from its feeble use as a pillow that night. Opening the door out onto the silent street outside, Akashi slid silently out, making sure to grab a rifle before departing.

Together, the duo stalked down Asahi’s primary thoroughfare;
    Akashi’s ivory military garb standing at odds to his assistant’s local police uniform, despite the lingerings of darkness about them. Although Akashi bore himself with a professional indifference, Norito’s nervousness was apparent to all; or at least would be apparent to all were anyone around to see him. Instead, the streets were deserted – as they had been ever since the demon had arrived. Akashi had briefly considered enforcing a curfew upon his arrival, yet such measures soon proved unnecessary. The inhabitants not only fled to their homes upon night’s descent, they also feared so much as to deny themselves sunlight when dawn did finally rise to their rescue. The sheriff might have found the silence peaceful, were it not quite so eerie.

Yet sometimes walls were not enough to keep demons away; people had been ripped from their beds, snatched from their places of hiding or simply caught in futile attempts to escape. No bodies remained, no blood stained, nothing at all suggested the kind of agony so apparent in the screams they were forced to bear witness to every night. There were no clues to pursue, no witnesses to interrogate, no evidence to even give them any inkling about the true nature of their foe. Instead, it was
    Akashi’s only task now to catalogue the names of the dead.

“It’s the Itoguchi residence,” Norito spoke feebly, as they finally wandered upon the site of that night’s defilement. It appeared to be as ordinary a house as any other, yet a faint cries of the bereaved could be heard from inside. In truth,
    Akashi was still too unaccustomed to the town to discern one family home from the next. Whereas Akashi saw his once venerated position reduced to that of a glorified coroner, Norito was now merely a tourguide.

Taking off their caps – as more of a habit now than any show of respect for the departed –, the pair of them edged into the house. Norito quickly moved to console an elderly woman, who led prostrate in front of them, weeping into the floor mat. With mechanical motions, Akashi slung his rifle across his shoulder and reached for a notepad in the pocket of his tunic. Fumbling for a pen with his free hand, he began to rattle off the questions he had become so accustomed to every morning. “Can you tell me the name of the deceased?”

The woman let out another wail and Norito – as usual – answered for her. “Itoguchi Yosuka,” he affirmed, obviously well acquainted with the resident family.

“Did you see the killer at all?” the captain continued flatly, although he had already closed the notebook. No interview ever went beyond the first question. “Is there any evidence of forced entry?”

Still knelt beside the prone woman, Norito glanced up at
    Akashi, answering vicariously with a solemn shake of his head. The sheriff sighed and turned to depart, beckoning his assistant to follow. After another sleepless night, he just wanted to return to his bed. It was only possible to sleep in the presence of the sun, whilst it impossible to do anything except try to sleep during the night. A sorry existence indeed.

Just as they were about to depart, the Itoguchi mother’s voice rang clear for the first time. “Wait…” she rasped in broken tones.
    Akashi half turned his head, eyebrow raised. Norito, being the more compassionate of the two, quickly returned to the elder.

“What is it Itoguchi okasan?” Norito asked gently, placing a comforting hand on the quivering woman’s shoulder. The unfortunate soul simply raised a wizened finger, pointing to the rear of her abode. Intrigued,
    Akashi slid back into the room and paced across the floor, following the silent directions. Norito rose to join him and they made to explore the house.

The interior of the residence was laid bare before them, barring one room towards the rear. “It’s Yosuka’s bed chamber,” Norito spoke as they approached the sealed shoji doors. Were Norito Tsuya any actual specimen of a man, his superior might have wondered how the boy had happened upon such information. Instead
    Akashi simply put it down to a keen sense of deduction.

Norito gasped as they slowly slid the paper door open and
    Akashi allowed his brow to furrow. Thin light escaped into the room, courtesy of a small window on the south side, illuminating a dark liquid staining the tatami flooring. “It’s blood!” Norito cried in surprise; never before had any of these crimes been accompanied by such a residue.

“No,”
    Akashi spoke softly. “It’s ink.”
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; September 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: swanky new borders

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Looks like we got a real thriller on our hands here, boys! I'll get my Dick Tracy fedora and trench-coat...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

On the ball as always McScottish

I thought I'd try something different Although I have been watching a ridiculous amount of Lewis these past few months

I'm sorry f0ma but you are not allowed to just start an AAR like this, you nearly gave me a heart attack from excitement.

Looks like this story will have some interesting supernatural themes to it. I would get my fedora and trench coat out if I wasn't already wearing them

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I gave you a fair warning on my blog

I hope you enjoy! I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes, since apart from a few bits and pieces, I don't have much of a plan at all. But that's when I feel most comfortable

You alluded to it but I wasn't sure if you actually had anything concrete in mind.

The first thing I thought of when I read "amethyst mist" was Fuma Kotaro...or should I say, f0ma Kotaro...
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    You alluded to it but I wasn't sure if you actually had anything concrete in mind.
    Mhmm, I have a bad habit of making grandiose announcements and not following through with them. I thought I'd down play it a bit in case I didn't feel the same way the next day. I have a good feeling about this one though

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    The first thing I thought of when I read "amethyst mist" was Fuma Kotaro...or should I say, f0ma Kotaro...
    Thesaurus.com; doing wonders for me since 2007

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Yes, a most interesting start. Like that you have taken a different road than the usual AAR. This will be quite a AAR...
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Ooooh a chance to learn from the famous f0ma! Really digging the whole mystery vibe

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

The Inkless Woman

Ink. It didn’t make any sense. Itoguchi Yosuka didn’t write – she couldn’t even read according to Norito. No brushes for painting or calligraphy adorned her effects; no Western pens were ever used for prose or diary alike. Itoguchi Yosuka was an inkless woman.

Yet there it was – there it had been, splattered across her bed chamber.
    Akashi couldn’t understand. Was this connected with the demon? Did it represent a ritual – a rite, an offering, a ceremony? It was impossible to know. Yosuka’s mother had been of little help, although was hardly to blame given the circumstances. Instead, Akashi was left with nothing at all; he’d probably preferred it when there hadn’t been any clues at all.

Norito hadn’t been of much help either. Smart as the young policeman was, his meagre training afforded him no experience in such an arena. Being a military man however,
    Akashi had been trained to survive. He couldn’t fathom what linked ink to the murder, yet he could at least say he was more cautious now because of it.

Despite their gruesome morning,
    Akashi had at least managed to sleep that day. With the autumn moon ascendant for another long night, his slumbers were cut short as he and Norito barricaded themselves once more inside their dilapidated station. His assistant had been less fortunate in their day’s lazy endeavours, kept up – according to his word – by the memory of Lady Itoguchi’s misfortune. It hadn’t been the first time he’d mourned so vicariously for the losses of others. As such, he wore dark ringed eyes as he set up vigil for the night; a bleak and hollow expression weaving itself through the threads of his features.

“She couldn’t speak,” Norito spoke, as
    Akashi finished bolting the door. His assistant didn’t find himself impatient or irritable without sleep – much unlike his superior –, instead gaining a pathetic sombreness and despondency.

Not particularly interested in the elderly woman to whom he assumed Norito was speaking of,
    Akashi merely shrugged as he made to seat himself behind one of the room’s cluttered desks. “She told us to wait.”

The rebuttal didn’t steal any misery from the young man’s face. “That was all she could say,” Norito spoke softly. “I doubt she’ll ever speak anything more.”

Akashi was already tiring of the conversation. Stretching back on the hind legs of his wooden chair, he placed booted feet upon the desk before him, kicking over a pile of paperwork in the process. Wrapped up in his own morbidity, Norito paid his superior no heed, intent instead upon elaborating his spiralling thoughts. “None of them speak. Not anymore. This town was so alive when I left. Now it’s as if every familiar face I see has pre-empted the grave.”

Largely ignoring his subordinate,
    Akashi was examining a Western revolver on the desk. Reaching for it to caress in his hands, his thoughts wandered. A lot of things were changing. When once a yumi might have adorned a rack in this room, a rifle lay adulterous in its place. Akashi did not know if he could sympathize with the young policeman, yet he could understand the process of change. As his thoughts idled, his free hand wandered across his chest; fingers fumbling against the white tunic to fondle as if silk the small crucifix that hung around his neck.

“I asked them about you,” Norito continued, turning his head to gaze at the captain. “Yet no one speaks.”

Akashi didn’t return the look, instead focussing a little too hard on the revolver in his hands. “They can’t be happy with me,” he replied evenly. “I haven’t managed to solve these murders. I think they’ve given up hope.”

Out of the corner of his eye,
    Akashi saw the younger man bite the tip of his thumb, looking anxiously over at the seated officer. “It’s not that,” Norito replied eventually, sounding hesitant. “It seems as if they fear you more than they fear the demon.”

Norito’s accusatory tone didn’t favour
    Akashi’s temperament and the captain paused to consider a reply. “That’s ridiculous,” he spoke eventually, deciding against reprimanding his assistant. Norito was in no state to bear the brunt of Akashi’s irritancy, nor should he himself admit he was irritated.

“When you arrived,” Norito continued slowly, ignoring
    Akashi, “had the killings already started?”

“Yes,”
    Akashi answered swiftly. “I’ve told you before: I was assigned here by the imperial military command in Iga to enforce martial law.”

Norito cast his gaze around the dark police station, obviously not fully satisfied with his superior’s idea of martial law.
    Akashi scowled. What more could he do? Although he was never one to fear death, from a pragmatic standpoint the idea didn’t particularly appeal to him. If bolting himself in this small building every night was what it took to survive his posting, then that was what he would do. Besides, it wasn’t as if the town’s populace required a heavy hand; too preoccupied ‘pre-empting the grave’, as Norito had put it.

The policeman didn’t respond, instead nestling his chin in his hands in an attempt to stave off his plaguing wakefulness.
    Akashi reflected on the other’s words, still turning the gun over in his hands. Change. Everything was in a state of flux, yet the fabric of difference was simultaneously frayed and sleek; existing with no right at all, yet existing all the same. The inkless woman.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; September 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | 21.8.14

A Silent Songstress

“Do you know where the ink might have come from?”

Itoguchi had somewhat calmed down, although it had taken the better part of a week. The bereaved was still solemn and sombre, but they had finally managed to get her to speak.
    Akashi was just glad she hadn’t been murdered yet.

The woman shook her head, not meeting either his or Norito’s gaze. “No,” her voice was soft and still laced with pain. “She had no use for anything like that.”

Akashi stooped down beside her. The three of them occupied the grieving residence; its mistress knelt on the tatami mat, unable to put weight on shaking legs. “Itoguchi okasan,” he pressed her, attempting in vain to convey a tone of compassion. “The ink we found in your daughter’s bedchamber is the only clue we’ve found. If we can gain even some understanding of it, we’ll be one step closer to catching her killer.”

“You can’t tame a demon through understanding,” Itoguchi replied with stubborn bitterness.

Sighing,
    Akashi fought to keep his temper in check; this was not the time to debate the existence of ghosts and demons. “Your daughter had no interest in anything literary at all? Did she not even observe paintings or patterns? Nothing to perhaps entice her to try a hand at it herself?”

Whilst the mother shook her head, Norito spoke up from behind them. “She could sing,” he hazarded, sounding unsure as to whether that information would be helpful or not. “She always used to sing traditional ballads for the children during town festivals.”

Itoguchi nodded when
    Akashi looked to her for confirmation. “Thank you for your hospitality okasan,” he applauded her as he rose to his feet, making to leave. “We’ll leave you to your thoughts.”

The pair of them silently departed the dark house, stepping out into a crisp autumn afternoon. Asahi was as quiet as ever; getting quieter every day as more of its townsfolk disappeared into the night. Nearing two and a half months of lethal abductions now, the populace was thinning at an alarming rate.
    Akashi doubted they’d all survive the year.

Akashi tai-i,”Norito addressed his superior tentatively as the pair of them made their way down the boulevard. “Is Yosuka’s singing important?”

The captain scratched his chin thoughtfully. “Well, she would have to learn her lyrics somewhere,” he concluded, not entirely convinced all the same. “Even if she couldn’t read, she must have been taught these folk songs from someone. Somewhere down the line we will find lyric scrolls – and ink.”

His assistant thought upon this for a while, before seeming content with the reasoning. In truth they had little else left to go on. “Who was she learning from then?” Norito asked eventually.

“I was hoping you would know,”
    Akashi replied, a little deflated. “You grew up here. You must have known Itoguchi Yosuka as a child.”

Norito pondered this as they continued on their way back to the station. “Honestly, I did not,” he spoke, sounding almost a little ashamed – as if it were his fault they were in this predicament. “She was a sheltered child from the west side of town. I grew up in the east.”

“It’s not a big town,” the captain responded, eyebrows furrowed and obviously more than a little confused by such a revelation. “There’s really such a large divide between east and west?”

His assistant shrugged. “Well, as much as any other town I guess? I meant it inasmuch that we didn’t really cross paths. I spent most of my time growing up in the Yaridama household.”

Yaridama. The name was familiar to
    Akashi, although he couldn’t quite place it. Since arriving in Asahi he had failed quite magnificently in remembering the names of most of its residents – although he tried to assuage what little guilt he felt to that effect by reminding himself that most of them died shortly after he had met them. Still, Yaridama… That name stood out.

Seeing the look of confusion on
    Akashi’s face, Norito began to elaborate: “Yaridama Izen was the former police chief. He was one of the first victims of these murders, according to your records. I’m not sure if you met him or not?”

Akashi nodded; Norito’s words finally enlightening him. The former police chief. “Why would you spend your time in his household?” Akashi asked, returning to the original discussion.

“To you he might have been just Yaridama the police chief,” Norito had an almost faraway look in his eyes, “but to me he was Yaridama-sama; the man who inspired me to become a policeman.”

“Ah, I see,”
    Akashi spoke instinctively as he tried to process this new information. “That still begs the question of how you came to his residence in the first place.”

Norito looked away; the enamoured glaze over his eyes turning sour as his thoughts were forced towards darker matters. “My father passed when I was young,” he began, obviously uncomfortable. “My mother was sick with grief. She never took her life, but there were times when she might as well have.”

The captain remained silent. There was no use in pressing the boy for anything more; traipsing through his bitter memories was hardly relevant to the case. Thankfully they were nearing the station, where Norito could brood alone and
    Akashi could sleep. However, before the building had come into view, Akashi saw something else approaching from the opposite direction. Instinctively he levelled his rifle and directed it down the road towards whatever was advancing upon them. Gasping in fear, Norito did the same with his own weapon; hands trembling.

“Halt!” he cried, trying to sound more authoritative than he felt – whatever comfort the heavy weight of the rifle provided him was not enough to entirely to subdue his fears. However, just as his finger was beginning to tighten around the trigger, a lilting, sing-song voice echoed through the empty streets and a figure came properly into view.

Akashi-chan! Norito-kun!”

With the pair of them uttering a sound halfway between a groan and a sigh of relief, they lowered their weapons as Suzushi Yosome came into view. Clad in a bright kimono and wearing even brighter hair by way of some strange – and probably illegal – Western dyes, Suzushi Yosome stood quite at odds with the increasingly dark and morbid Asahi; a striking contrast to the other locals they had met so far. Her painfully cheerful demeanour didn’t help matters much either.

“That’s
    Akashi tai-i to you Suzushi,” the captain berated the bubbly newcomer with reminder of his military rank. Not that it would be of any help however, the young woman was either insistent on being infernally annoying or otherwise completely oblivious to any form of authority. Probably both, Akashi thought bitterly.

“And it’s Suzushi-chan to you,
    Akashi-chan,” Suzushi spoke sweetly to him as she closed the gap between them. In a town full of unknown faces, dying indiscriminately every day, Suzushi was both the one person Akashi found impossible to forget and the one person apparently least likely to perish. Akashi wasn’t particularly happy at either of those two outcomes.

It was Norito who spoke for his superior, noticing that the other’s mood had declined quite rapidly since his lowering of the rifle: “Why are you out and about Suzushi-san?” he asked the question on both of their minds; the streets had been deserted ever since the killings had started. “You know there’s a murderer on the loose?”

“I have faith that
    Akashi-chan will keep us safe,” Suzushi affirmed brightly, smiling at the captain. It was clear from both her words and actions that she had no real sense of danger, as Akashi’s eyes narrowed in response. “Anyway, I was just on my way to pay my respects to Itoguchi okasan. Her daughter has passed away, did you know?”

“We did,” Norito replied solemnly. “We were just there ourselves.”

The morbid topic did little to dampen Suzushi’s spirits and she began to move past them - ever smiling -, waving her goodbyes as she did so. However, before she was but a few feet past,
    Akashi suddenly turned to address the insolent girl. “Wait,” he called after her. She turned back, flashing him another broad smile. “How did you know her daughter had passed away? We haven’t announced it yet.”

Suzushi Yosome shrugged nonchalantly. “The Itoguchi girl was always coming and going to my neighbour’s house in the middle of the night. Then, last week she suddenly stopped visiting. I assumed she’d been killed.”

“Who are your neighbours she was visiting?”
    Akashi pressed her, an edge of urgency in his voice now.

“Why, the Yaridama family of course.”
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; September 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: Yōkai | 28.8.14

Who are this Yaridama family? I'm liking the Suzushi character as well. Keep it up

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Spooky ey? I love writing Suzushi, she's heaps of fun. Actually, I'm having so much fun writing this in general; got a good feeling it might go far
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; February 01, 2015 at 07:13 AM.

Suzushi reminds me a bit of Gin from Road to Kyoto in her personality and just in general.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I think both my male and female characters always start from the same kind of template, then evolve into their own persons gradually as I write them - since as you know, I'm much more of a 'write first, plan never' kind of guy. I think Gin was a bit more strong willed and quicker with her wits, whereas Suzushi is more of a bubbly airhead. I see the similarities though, inasmuch that they both quite independent and carefree.

~

Also, I've changed the names around a little - to give Kyoumu and Tsuya actual family names. So Kyoumu is now Akashi Kyoumu and Tsuya is now Norito Tsuya - meaning that Akashi and Norito will be the usual names written now. Hope this saves confusion! Chapter three has a funky new picture too
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; August 31, 2014 at 12:17 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Vigil

She couldn’t be dead. No, Akashi refused to believe it.

“What other explanation is there?” Norito solemnly answered Akashi’s silent question. The pair of them were stood before the Yaridama residence; the late evening sun framing their long shadows across the vacant woodwork. No sound stirred from within the former police chief’s home; no candlelight illuminated a figure against the interior. The Yaridama family was survived by no sons – just the widow Yaridama Chiryo; now as alien to the household as her late husband.

She couldn’t be dead.

“Suzushi would have said,” Akashi muttered to himself, cursing the young girl’s name, as if she were somehow to blame for this turn of events. “She lives in the next house along. If she noticed that Itoguchi Yosuka had stopped her visits, she would surely have noticed if her neighbour had perished too.”

His assistant was staring toward his own feet, already mourning the loss of another of his childhood memories. “You know what she’s like. She’s not exactly attentive at times. It would be an easy thing to miss.”

Akashi shook his head, unwilling to believe that outcome. “No,” he spoke forcefully. “That Suzushi woman may be many things, but she’s not that ignorant. The sun has yet to draw this day to a close – Yaridama Chiryo could not have perished last night with Suzushi around.”

Sighing, Norito relented, as if charitably humouring his superior. “Well, we can question Suzushi, just to make sure. If we hurry, we can still make it to the Itoguchi residence before sundown.”

The sun overhead was sinking with a rapid grace towards the country horizon, beckoning forth another terror filled night. Those who dared venture out in the daylight hours were now futilely fortifying their abodes in anticipation of the demon – only the captain and the policemen remained in the evening air. “It’s too late,” Akashi murmured ruefully. “By the time we reach the Itoguchi residence, the sun will have set. If Suzushi isn’t there, we’ll be at the mercy of the mist.”

“So, shall we retire to the station?” Norito broached, scratching his head.

“No,” resilience coloured the captain’s tone. “We’ll retire to Suzushi’s home and await her return. We’ll question her tonight. We can’t risk losing any more leads.”

His assistant looked uneasy at such a proposal. “Is it safe?” he asked nervously, repeating his words from the week before.

“We both know walls are no barrier to the killer,” Akashi spoke resolutely, assured of his decision despite the peril they were in. “We’re no safer in the station than we are here. At least here we might get some answers.”

Norito finally relented and the pair of them stalked down the road towards the residence of their erstwhile informant. The house of Suzushi Yosome differed little from the other constructs of Asahi, at least on the outside. The interior was as garish as her clothes and as blissfully infuriating as her personality; colourful banners hung from the wooden walls, whilst Western dolls and tea sets took pride of place atop her tables and drawers. It was the abode of either a child or a madman – both descriptions quite apt for Suzushi, Akashi thought irritably.

Whilst Akashi moved to recline on the tatami flooring, Norito stood vigil at one of the western facing windows, gazing wistfully at the darkness encroaching upon the Yaridama residence, some ways down the road. Suzushi was probably the only resident of Asahi to neglect to board her own windows. Despite his earlier words, Akashi was beginning to feel a little uneasy.

“What happened to him?” Norito asked, distracting Akashi from his thoughts.

“Who?” Akashi asked, perplexed. His mind had been so preoccupied with the spiralling images of the Yaridama, Itoguchi and Suzushi ladies, that he had quite forgotten any man relevant to their predicament.

Norito made a noise halfway between a snarl and a mewl. “Yaridama Izen,” he clarified, half depressed, half annoyed.

Realization coloured Akashi’s features. “Yaridama Izen…” he began, trying to conjure up the relevant memory. “You must have read the records. He was killed, alongside all the other policemen of Asahi. After the first few murders, they rounded up a group of locals and went hunting for the killer one night. None survived.”

“And where were you, Akashi tai-i?” Norito spoke swiftly and forcefully, revealing both the true nature of his earlier veiled question and his rapidly deteriorating mood.

Akashi coughed nervously, before responding. “It was before my time. News hadn’t reached Iga of the killings when Yaridama and his men went on their hunt. I arrived the following week to assume military command here.”

“Well it seems pretty strange to me,” Norito spoke angrily, turning away from the window and rounding on his superior. “You arrive here and suddenly everyone just starts dropping dead. The Yaridama Izen I knew wouldn’t have succumbed to the realm of the gods so easily.”

The captain wrinkled his nose of Norito’s use of the term ‘gods’, yet refused to back down. “His blood is not on my hands,” he snarled, rising from his reclined position to look his assistant in the eye. “Now stand down.”

Norito glared at him for one long moment, before returning to watch the silent Yaridama household down the street. Akashi stared after him. He wasn’t entirely sure what brought on the boy’s mood swings. Was it the night? The enveloping purple mist? Or simply the loss of the family friends who had helped raise him? Akashi didn’t know and didn’t like to think he cared; yet a rift between the two of them wouldn’t solve anything. However, on that dark, cold night, he had no words to reassure his companion.

So they waited; they waited for the mistress of the house. Yet she never returned.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; September 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM.

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 4 - 1.9.14

Great stuff, but who are these new people. Whoever they are, I'm sure they add an interesting element to the story. I wonder if there might be a clash between these two dynamic duos.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 4 - 1.9.14

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    Also, I've changed the names around a little - to give Kyoumu and Tsuya actual family names. So Kyoumu is now Akashi Kyoumu and Tsuya is now Norito Tsuya - meaning that Akashi and Norito will be the usual names written now. Hope this saves confusion! Chapter three has a funky new picture too

Sorry for changing it around, but I felt like I needed to give them full names, and Kyoumu and Tsuya were more first names than family names, so there was a switcheroo. No new people I added a list of characters for reference in the first post though as well.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; September 01, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast