Thread: Question about romans?

Default Question about romans?

Can I, if I play with the Romans, produce other warriors conquering new territories? For example: hoplite, heavy cavalry, or are they only available as mercenaries?

Default Re: Question about romans?

You can "produce" (e.g. recruit and train) some other types of units - up to the Imperial Reforms. I haven't tried this post-patch, but after the reforms, you are limited to Roman Legions and Roman Auxuilia.

For example: in Massilia, pre-reforms, you can recruit and train several types of Hoplite-style units, complete with the Greek shields, skins, etc. But once you trigger the reforms, you can recruit four or five "legions' and about the same number of Roman auxilia units. The hopilites are gone.

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Damn .I wanted some hoplites and heavy cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_b_good View Post
    Damn .I wanted some hoplites and heavy cavalry
    There are a few heavy cavalry units available, IIR. The Campaignian (sp?) cavalry that you recruit and train in Capua is heavy. There might be some Macedonian units, too.

But no, you can't have heavy auxilia cavalry AND hoplites, unless you hire them as mercenaries. Sorry.

~ Dani ~

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Besides you'll have access to various greek/celtic/etc. AoR units for a long time until you reach the reforms.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    There are a few heavy cavalry units available, IIR. The Campaignian (sp?) cavalry that you recruit and train in Capua is heavy. There might be some Macedonian units, too.
    But no, you can't have heavy auxilia cavalry AND hoplites, unless you hire them as mercenaries. Sorry.
    ~ Dani ~
    Well.... by building the allied state building in Massalia Romans can get excellent Hoplite and Spear Units and there are 2 heavy Cavalrys in Massalia too.
    1. Massalian Lonchoporoi (39 charge bonus) and 2. Ligurian Noble Cavalry (38 charge bonus).
    Both are heavy Cavalry and with 2-3 chevrons and silver weapons and armour upgrades they are pretty nasty and better than Campanian Cavalry...... after Marian Reforms you can recruit Heavy Barbarian Cavalry ...

Example: Massalian Lonchoporoi with 3 copper chevron and silver armour/weapon has 16 attack and 28 defense...they can deliver quite a punch...

Dani
    You are sure that the hoplites are gone once the reform triggers or are they not available anymore because the player build the next barrack ...
    Last edited by chris10; December 01, 2010 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    Dani
    You are sure that the hoplites are gone once the reform triggers or are they not available anymore because the player build the next barrack ...
    Good point - I honestly don't know how it works now (post-patch) since I'm nowhere near this point in my campaign ... I'm assuming that since the auxilia units are now connected to the "culture" building and these units are readily available from the start of the game (see Capua), the building of certain barracks is no longer necessary.

Logically then, if the above statement is true, then those units would disappear as soon as the Imperial Reforms were triggered because all the auxilia units would appear (because they were linked to the cultural building).

~ Dani ~

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    Good point - I honestly don't know how it works now (post-patch) since I'm nowhere near this point in my campaign ... I'm assuming that since the auxilia units are now connected to the "culture" building and these units are readily available from the start of the game (see Capua), the building of certain barracks is no longer necessary.

Logically then, if the above statement is true, then those units would disappear as soon as the Imperial Reforms were triggered because all the auxilia units would appear (because they were linked to the cultural building).

~ Dani ~
    I will soon find out. Last time Massalian units dissapeared when I built the Roman Fortress (EDIT..ups..Campus Martius) and I was
    sort of because I could not retrain my very nasty Massalian Gold Expeditionary Army anymore...

Their stats where just ridicolous ....
    Last edited by chris10; December 02, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    ... my very nasty Massalian Gold Expeditionary Army anymore...

Their stats where just ridicolous ....
    Impressive.

~ Dani ~