Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia's blow-up weapons

Default Russia's blow-up weapons

Last edited by maerd2003; October 11, 2010 at 08:31 AM.
    "Surely Allah enjoins to do justice and to adopt good behavior and to give help to relatives-neighours(whoever you can reach), and forbids shameful acts, evil deeds and oppressive attitude. He exhorts you, so that you may be mindful." Qur'an; 16:90 (this is the verse that is recited every friday in sermons during the Friday Prayer rituals)
    "Beware! Whoever is cruel and hard on a non-Muslim minority, curtails their rights, burdens them with more than they can bear, or takes anything from them against their free will; I (Prophet Muhammad) will complain against the person on the Day of Judgment." Prophet Muhammad

Default Re: Russia's blow-up weapons

Not political, against the rules to start a thread with just a link or an article, and boring.

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

They copied the idea from the British in the second world war.
    “Cretans, always liars” Epimenides (of Crete)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Not political, against the rules to start a thread with just a link or an article, and boring.
    sorry, didnt know..
    "Surely Allah enjoins to do justice and to adopt good behavior and to give help to relatives-neighours(whoever you can reach), and forbids shameful acts, evil deeds and oppressive attitude. He exhorts you, so that you may be mindful." Qur'an; 16:90 (this is the verse that is recited every friday in sermons during the Friday Prayer rituals)
    "Beware! Whoever is cruel and hard on a non-Muslim minority, curtails their rights, burdens them with more than they can bear, or takes anything from them against their free will; I (Prophet Muhammad) will complain against the person on the Day of Judgment." Prophet Muhammad

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Dummy targets had/have been used for a long time... Either way, may be it is a good idea for Taliban to test those strategy for Russian free of price now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Aren't they completely useless in the age of electronic warfare? As in , AWACS planes detect very well the difference between a real and a blow-up tank , unless the blow-up tank has a radar signature the same as a real tank. Idem dito for blow-up radar stations.

Don't air-to-surface missiles track a radar signature as well , and not a visual picture?

Reminds me a bit of the Iranian flying boats. Impressive if you're a total noob at warfare.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; October 11, 2010 at 08:37 AM.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fortitude

The Russian's are 66 years late.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

CarbEast's Avatar Senator
    The best place on planet Earth - Russia obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte View Post
    Aren't they completely useless in the age of electronic warfare? As in , AWACS planes detect very well the difference between a real and a blow-up tank , unless the blow-up tank has a radar signature the same as a real tank. Idem dito for blow-up radar stations.
    AWACS planes recognizing tank radar signature? Sure, though it only works against flying, and, to a certain extent, against jumping tanks.

As for the topic of this thread, there's absolutely nothing new in setting up false targets. It has been around in Russia and everywhere for decades. I guess people at BBC were really bored they decided to do this thing...
    Last edited by CarbEast; October 11, 2010 at 08:55 AM.

It's all in a day's work for bicycle repairman.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte View Post

Don't air-to-surface missiles track a radar signature as well , and not a visual picture?

Reminds me a bit of the Iranian flying boats. Impressive if you're a total noob at warfare.
    in the video it says the radars see these things as real.

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

Not all that political and the OP didn't lay out any framework for debate. Moved to the TD.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by CarbEast View Post
    AWACS planes recognizing tank radar signature? Sure, though it only works against flying, and, to a certain extent, against jumping tanks.
    Ok , maybe not AWACS then,my bad. It's JSTARS that recognizes ground targets.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Not very effective if you've advertised the details of them on national news.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Everything has been given rader stuff to reflect what they resemble

Us Kids Know's Avatar Decanus

lets just hope for their sakes the taliban dont browse the BBC
    Don't you want me to wake up?
    Then give me just a bit of your time.
    Arguments are made for make ups,
    So give it just a little more time.

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

this "tool" is for dirt poor nations who can't afford to buy tanks so they but a hundred of these things and say, "we gotz tankz"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    quote of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    I am sorry I was wrong.

Youtube
    Justin Bieber: God sent me to make music
    Disturbed: No we didn't

I remain highly sceptical , nonetheless. All the decoys need to emit the same level of radiation and heat as 'da real thing' . I didn't see any power source in that duffel bag.

Also : 'They are made of a special material that tricks enemy radar and thermal imaging into thinking they are real weapons.' Wow! Russia invented one hell of a material , one which we don't have in the West , and which is so cheaply manufactured , one can build entire fake armies with it. I guess not...

And what about , for example , acoustic signatures?

Fake!

There's no mystery about it.Russian military just uses them for their own target practice...

edit : Lol , yeah . The presenter told us that one of the greatest things about them is that they are about a 100 times cheaper than the real thing. Not being an expert on current military hardware prices , I still can justly claim that that would be one expensive decoy.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; October 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM.

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

instead of decoys, why not just have the real thing?
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Turtle Hammer's Avatar Senator

Russia's new greatest enemy: moderate winds. Surely somebody at the Kremlin must be getting fired over this. Do they still send people off to count trees in Siberia, or is it all bullonium in their breakfast nowadays?
    Euroba Barbarorum convert

Mig el Pig's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by CarbEast View Post
    So when their filled with hot air or helium AWACS work just fine

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Serbs did the same thing during NATO bombings with great success. So much for modern 4. and 5. generation aircraft recognizing fully armed tank from a pile of old steel.
    Has signatures turned off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast