View Poll Results: Do you smoke Shisha/Hookah?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (be it rarely to often)

35 36.08%
  • No

48 49.48%
  • What is that stuff?

14 14.43%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shisha Smoking: Do You Do It?

Default Shisha Smoking: Do You Do It?

Popularised by the exotic Persian ways, Shisha (more so known as Hookah in the US) has spread across Europe and North America. Now, anyone can find a café here and there designed especially for relaxing and having a smoke. So, does TWC smoke Shisha/Hookah?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I must admit, I do enjoy smoking Shisha occasionally. I'll go to a local café, sit back and spend a few hours there with a small group of friends (not a few hours constantly smoking, of course!). We smoke non-tobacco though due to the smoking ban in the UK and other regulations, but it's still great to do nonetheless.
    House of Caesers
    Under the patronage and son of Empress Meg
    Brother of the mighty Geat Carl von Döbeln

Graphics Workshop | My Graphics Gallery

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Shisha Smoking: Do You Do It?

We have one at home but I have no idea how to start it :/, I do like to smoke it though.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ascarona View Post
    We have one at home but I have no idea how to start it :/, I do like to smoke it though.
    Agreed. It's complicated as hell if you have no idea whatsoever. Maybe if you've seen it done before or have some idea... Still.

That's the reason why I go to a café instead of doing it at home. Saves time and saves me burning my house down!
    House of Caesers

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

I did a few times, found it pretty boring - you're just blowing smoke around, there doesn't seem to be any effect from it whatsoever. Ł8 and a compulsory drink are not really worth it.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Turtle Hammer's Avatar Senator

I have used them before, there's a convenience store that doubles as a headshop near me and they've got a few cheap but quite serviceable looking ones. My friend's housemate at uni had an enormous one with four hoses that was very nice. Put The Doors on, pull up every comfy chair from the house, and blow smoke rings and argue over who's turn it is to reload the thing.

Essentially, although it's "basicly" smoking, but people seem to go "ooh, you use a hookah?" rather than "dude, you're gonna get lung cancer". For some reason it's seen as a little exotic, and far more socially accepted. I think the ban on smokingin public buildings is sort of overlooked or granted a loophole too, 'cos the Desert Rose cafe in Luton's still going as far as I know.

As for the flavours, I like molasses flavoured, and mintier ones too, although some can be a bit too close to toothepaste flavour rather than a genuinely nice minty taste.
    Euroba Barbarorum convert

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

Did it twice, found it to be boring both times.

rusina's Avatar Domesticus

I wish I had one. It's relaxing as hell.

Turtle Hammer's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by rusina View Post
    I wish I had one. It's relaxing as hell.
    You can find them quite reasonably priced online. I'm not sure how easy they are to come by where you are though, but if you want one they're out there. I'd try to not be tempted by the very cheapest ones though, they can get a bit broken. Also, I hear cleaning them's a pain in the bum.
    Euroba Barbarorum convert

rusina's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Hammer View Post
    You can find them quite reasonably priced online. I'm not sure how easy they are to come by where you are though, but if you want one they're out there. I'd try to not be tempted by the very cheapest ones though, they can get a bit broken. Also, I hear cleaning them's a pain in the bum.
    I'm trying to save money. And besides, if I ever got one I'd be too lazy to actually use it. Therefore I must convince one of my mates to get one.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

i have tried them once or twice, both times i felt sick. so i avoid them now!

Kids here in germany use little transportable ones to be cool.

I plan to buy myself a big one to relax after hard days.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Yeah, I'm also 13, so I won't use a metal bong.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

I only knew it as an old traditional custom in India, and something that some hippies used in the 60s to smoke hash. If i ever did want to smoke though, i'd stick with a cigarette, seems utterly pointless to me.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

The café where I go is awesome. They have leather chairs and sofas there, so just lie back, kick your feet up and relax. I can't tell you how great it is to do after college. It's a great way to unwind if you've had a stressful day and sets such a relaxing tone if you're with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    i have tried them once or twice, both times i felt sick. so i avoid them now!
    Hey, I know how you feel! I first tried it in Egypt where they use the heavy Shisha (full tobacco). Started off coughing, but then it got smoother and I smoked and smoked for a good hour. After I stopped, my head starting spinning and I spent a good 30 minutes in the bathroom looking at my breakfast!

Thing is, you've got to be gentle with it. These things give off a lot of Carbon Monoxide, so if you mess with them they'll mess with you unless you're relaxed. Also, try smoking non- or half-tobacco shisha. It's much more gentle with you and a damn sight better for your health.

If you were to try it again, take it easy. Take about 3 puffs, have a glass of water and pass it round. There's no rush to smoke it, just take your time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    Nevermind him, Guy, he's one of the non-believers, all hail to shisha
    He is not one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Fred-nin View Post
    Yeah, I'm also 13, so I won't use a metal bong.
    They're not a bong pipe! Everyone says that! Kids, eh?
    House of Caesers

My friend has a hookah and we smoke it every so often, the flavors are nice and it's relaxing. More of a buzz than cigarettes too since you smoke a ton more of the stuff.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

I've done it, but it's nothing special.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

I want one, but only as an ornament, because I have a pipe!
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't do it every day (thankfully) but I like to smoke some when I'm out with my friends in a special day or something like that. Though shisha has been popular in Portugal for decades, at least, as it seems my cousin, 20 years ago, was grounded for keeping a pipe under his bed

The flavour I like the most is the fresh mint one. It's great. But the first time I smoked it, it kinda struck me a little harder than I thought and felt a little bit dizzy.

It's good but don't make of it a habit.

The café where I go is awesome. They have leather chairs and sofas there, so just lie back, kick your feet up and relax. I can't tell you how great it is to do after college. It's a great way to unwind if you've had a stressful day and sets such a relaxing tone if you're with friends.
    The nearest two shisha cafés we have here (they're around the same distance) are also like that. One has a Turkish-like architecture, inspired in the Hagia Sofia, with Arab music on the background, an atmospheric dim lighting, and some comfy sofas and giant pillows/puffs. The other is an eastern themed café.
    Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; October 10, 2010 at 09:53 AM.

razor-'s Avatar Decanus

Yes, me and my friends did it a lot at parties when we were around 16, it was the coolest thing at that time, then we started smoking cigars, cigarettes and you know... One of my mates still have one however and we do use it on rare occations, my favorite tobacco (or whatever its called) is with apple flavor

www.clan-twilight.com
    #clan-twilight @ qnet

Yeah, its nice.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast