Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Marines (Land Brigades)

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Royal Marines (Land Brigades)

Fighting on land

Wonder if there will be royal marine land units this time around since there was about 30,000 of them in 1805. This would be a unit that would help give the Great Britain faction its personality since they relied on their navy heavily. The Royal Marines served quite extensively on land during this period and deserve not to be overlooked. Maybe the lead unit designer Lusted can give us some insight since this is his area.

Source:
    http://www.napoleon-series.org/milit...c_marines.html

Default Re: Royal Marines (Land Brigades)

Good point, aslo how about French marines, what with not wanting to venture out to often against the Brits at times they must of being rather land locked, didn't Nappy use them in land campaigns?

-Joker-'s Avatar Semisalis

Good idea, I dont think we will see them in game though

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by -Joker- View Post
    Good idea, I dont think we will see them in game though
    Well there was an American Marine land unit in ETW it would be a shock to be honest with you if there is no Royal Marine land unit in NTW. If JL is as knowledgeable as he claims about the Napoleonic Wars then there will be a Royal Marine land unit for GB I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiksmarshal View Post
    Well there was an American Marine land unit in ETW it would be a shock to be honest with you if there is no Royal Marine land unit in NTW. If JL is as knowledgeable as he claims about the Napoleonic Wars then there will be a Royal Marine land unit for GB I hope.
    Want to bet it will be DLC? And you can recruit only 1 unit.

Maybe the lead unit designer Lusted can give us some insight since this is his area.
    There will not be seperate Royal Marine units as they would essentially be the same as the normal British units but just look slightly different.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

So we'll see them in a DLC then?

Surely just because they may perform in a very similar way to Line Infantry, that's no reason not to make them. They were a vital part of the Royal Navy and also played key roles in sea-borne invasions from Royal Navy ships. If CA had a genuine interest to recreate the era they would make Royal Marines.

As funny as the joke about them being in DLC is, it will probably be the case. These 15 odd units that come with the Imperial Edition should all be in the game. I seriously hope there's enough variety to justify having 15 unique units outwith the standard game.

Then again, let's just hope the modders can try and make a Royal Marine unit if CA don't.

Regards,
    The Gallant Forty-Twa

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    There will not be seperate Royal Marine units as they would essentially be the same as the normal British units but just look slightly different.
    As always thanks for gracing the thread and answering the question. I don't think them just being an other land unit but looks different is the best reason for leaving them out of the game in fact I think they look cool as hell and should be represented in the game because they are unique and would add personality to the GB roster who else used marines on such a large scale? nobody is the answer. They could have different stats since Marines were usually trained to shoot at individual targets vs the regular solider was not so maybe their accuracy would be better but their reload time would be slower due to the fact they probably weren't flogged as much for slow reloading time. Marines would most likely be of higher moral standing due to their roles they played on ships cop criminal mentality so they could have better moral then an average land unit full of criminals etc. I am disappointed they are not in the game disappointed indeed, but would be willing to buy them as DLC.

Royal Marine

Regular Soldier

Who wouldn't want to be able to recruit Royal Marines as land units?

Its not asif it would even be hard for them to make it. All it requires is a trouser swap and a hat swap from the basic soldiers (as you posted above) and you would pretty much have your marine.

Me.

I don't care honnestly. They are anecdotic (and their coolness is subjective i guess)

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by The Gallant Forty-Twa View Post
    Its not asif it would even be hard for them to make it. All it requires is a trouser swap and a hat swap from the basic soldiers (as you posted above) and you would pretty much have your marine.
    They could wear the same trouser but they would be white.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Me.

I don't care honnestly. They are anecdotic (and their coolness is subjective i guess)
    Maybe I am a bit bias being a former Marine but that being said they are different. Some might not see the difference in a Hussar or a Lancer unit, to them they are just cavalry units.
    Last edited by Kinjo; December 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM.

So why the USMC in ETW?

The USMC isnt the most famous Marine corps (not counting WW2 and Modern Conflicts)

Britains Marines deserve to eb in game just as much as the Black watch or HMS victory...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Just as today the Royal Marines are a better trained force than the Royal army and should be in. You say you that they would basically be the same so theres no point putting them in yet you release a DLC for the 33rd infantry... they ARE regular infantry, just with a reputation.

And as far as the USMC being in ETW, i think its stupid personally but its a perfect example of how CA basically made ETW for America.

The Royal Marines were alot more significant during this time than the united states marines were during the 18th century.

Perhaps they could be used in the same way as armed citizens are used now, like for example if you have a certain number of sloops, you have 1 regiment, or 3 1st rates you have 3 regiments...

Quote Originally Posted by RorySheen View Post
    Just as today the Royal Marines are a better trained force than the Royal army and should be in.
    The British Army traditionally owes its allegiance to the Government, not the Monarch hence why it lacks the 'Royal' title seen in the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.

Regards,
    The Gallant Forty-Twa

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by The Gallant Forty-Twa View Post
    The British Army traditionally owes its allegiance to the Government, not the Monarch hence why it lacks the 'Royal' title seen in the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.

Regards,
    The Gallant Forty-Twa
    oops haha sorry i was just ranting and wasnt paying attention.

lol sorry for being picky

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

The British Army had roughly 124,000 infantry in 1805 30,000 which were Royal Marines. If anything they should be a core unit for GB and not dismissed as not significant or the same as line infantry. I can guarantee the standards to be a Marine were much higher then being regular army, do you really think they would let criminals police ships and guard the officers? Come on Jack throw us a bone and add a Royal Marine unit we would be grateful. Here is some ideas on how to make a game version of Royal Marines:

Royal Marines - Would be named 1st Royal Marines, 2nd Royal Marines, etc.
    -120 per unit
    -Better Accuracy then regulars.
    -Can be recruited at the Navel Academies (naval building in the major cities)
    -Higher Morale (due to better pay and higher recruitment standards)
    -No recruitment limits since they accounted for almost 25% of the infantry in 1805.
    -Can disembark from ships on land and not have movement penalties i.e. can move the same turn they make a landing so they can perform lighting raids like they did in history.
    Last edited by Kinjo; December 15, 2009 at 02:11 PM.

Its simple. If what Jack says is correct regarding their lack of inclusion, it just proves CA don't give a damn about historical accuracy.

To the poster above ^

You have it bang on, that's perfect for a RM unit.

Magic Man's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

.....Like all the DLC units? lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast