Thread: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.2 Here' Thread -

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: -- Unofficial 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0-1.4 Here' Thread --

Quote Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
    How is this possible?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Why didn't I get the opportunity to ambush even though the enemy army is within my zone of control? Not even a failed ambush message popped. Only a sound was heard during mordor's turn that "setting an ambush here". The next turn that Mordor army didn't move at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    I was having this problem with my Silvan Elves campaign and I think it has to do with going into ambush mode while in the campaign map line of sight of the enemy. They know you just hid yourselves so the ambush doesn't even take place. Try going into ambush mode with no enemies nearby first.
    To succesfully ambush you have to be on the route your enemy takes, this makes it hard to ambush if there are roads.

old_dude's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos_I. View Post
    I'm using RR/RC at the moment and the good factions are quite strong.
    Rohan was down to a few settlements, but have slowly recovered.
    Gondor is insanely strong, holding Minas Morgul, Barad Dur, Ithilien, a few Haradrim settlements and some former towns of Rohan.
    So it all depends. In general, compared to 1.1 they hold out much longer.
    Well yes their empires strength has been quite good. I'm just noticing their royal families not lasting as long as their lands and armies can hold out. Yeah, maybe I'm just a negligent babysitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    You should get him between turn 70 and 80. Seems like your scripts are messed up; And no victory is necessary..
    doesnt it have something to do with winning a heroic victory against mordor?

As far as i can tell; No.

The Script doesn`t mention any victory..

Heroic victories are a way of getting him adopted into your family tree, once you have him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    As far as i can tell; No.

The Script doesn`t mention any victory..

Heroic victories are a way of getting him adopted into your family tree, once you have him, though.
    ahh thanks anyway

EDIT: ok i went back on an old save and got aragorns script to fire so now he is a general and i have to get him into my family kill off every other male family member to get him to be heir right?
    Last edited by GreekGlory; April 09, 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGlory View Post
    ahh thanks anyway

EDIT: ok i went back on an old save and got aragorns script to fire so now he is a general and i have to get him into my family kill off every other male family member to get him to be heir right?
    You get the option to adopt people into the family if they win heroic victories. Lead Aragorn and 2 spearmen and 6 archers. Go attack a stack and win. Keep doing this until you get the option to get him into the family. Once he is in the family you will need to get him as an heir. To do this you need to take all the male characters except the King of your family and send them by themselves to attack stacks, do the battles manually to ensure they die. Once they are dead Aragorn will be the heir and once the king dies he can become king of your kingdom!

that seems more trouble than its worth but i will try

What faction are you doing this as? Because Aragon is already King of Eriador.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon's Febreeze View Post
    What faction are you doing this as? Because Aragon is already King of Eriador.
    gondor, i keep winning heroic victories but i cant get him adopted

How did you get him in the first place? I thought he only served Eriador? Is there an event that makes him pass over or something? That is odd and how do you get gandalf as well?

Default Esgaroth or Lake Town?

Shouldn't Esgaroth be named Lake Town? Is there a way we can rename cities to our liking without changing major data?

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Esgaroth or Lake Town?

Esgaroth should be it as it means Lake Town AFAIK. If you want to change a settlement name go to the building tab once you select the settlement, click the name at the top and you can name it whatever you want.

If you want to edit it from the start though, you will have to edit descr_regions.

You can do it while in game by opening the construction tab, and clicking on the settlement name... if you cheat, it will use that name instead of the original... Only known changes I know of it affects...

Quote Originally Posted by el Cid View Post
    To succesfully ambush you have to be on the route your enemy takes, this makes it hard to ambush if there are roads.
    Untrue! I have had many successful ambushes from a forest next to the road. It's easy to confirm this fact in Ithilien.

How did you get him in the first place? I thought he only served Eriador? Is there an event that makes him pass over or something? That is odd and how do you get gandalf as well?
    It's the RRRC submod. In that submod there is a script that once Gandalf dies the first time, he is respawned for Gondor as Gandalf the White. There is also a script that offers Gondor Aragorn between turn 70 and 80.

Quote Originally Posted by el Cid View Post
    If you want to edit it from the start though, you will have to edit descr_regions.
    Thats not correct. To change the data to make Esgaroth appear as Lake Town go to your TATW folder/data/text and open imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file. The search for the line: {Esgaroth}Esgaroth and change it to: {Esgaroth}Lake Town. Thats it .

Quote Originally Posted by Golock View Post
    You can do it while in game by opening the construction tab, and clicking on the settlement name... if you cheat, it will use that name instead of the original... Only known changes I know of it affects...
    You can do this only in settlements you own.

you get the option to bring in aragorn from eriador now

ok so i have heard alot of stories on here about how great the fountain guard are. yes they hold a line superbly but at the same time they dont seem to live up to the stories i here on here. so my question is what is the best way to place them. ie: guard mode? spear wall(or is it phalanx)? let the enemy come to u and let them fight it out? or tell them to attack units once engaged? just curious to what each does in different scenarios. FYI i usually place them in spearwall with guard mode on.

in my campaigns, i always put them on spearwall and guard mode. they hold on so well, that in most of my armies, after several battles, they are usually the least decimated unit and its not like they miss the fight. they are walk so fast, that they engage normally in every battle and kill several orcks and some trolls (!). what's more, they will never rout. playing as mordor, i had killed their general, routed their entire army, flanked them, surrounded them and my general was the witch-king (with full scared) who, btw, had triggered his special ability right next to them. they remained eager to the last one. actually, does anyone know if they are routable or are they like the trolls and the bersekers?

Quote Originally Posted by glassakias View Post
    actually, does anyone know if they are routable or are they like the trolls and the bersekers?
    They have lock_morale, so they'll never rout.
    And you definitely have to put them in Spear Wall. Otherwise, they are quite weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos_I. View Post
    They have lock_morale, so they'll never rout.
    And you definitely have to put them in Spear Wall. Otherwise, they are quite weak.
    actually, they are quite good even without spear wall in RR/RR
    A Eruchîn,u-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas.