Thread: Misfires Mod

Default Misfires Mod

I have noticed that in vanilla game of Empire: Total War that the chance of misfires by both flintlock and matchlock were 0%, where as Percussion Capped (which have less chance of misfire) have 6% chance of misfire.

This mod's aim was to address this issue.

Musket Flintlock weapon's now have a 12% chance of misfire
    Musket Matchlock weapon's now have a 16% chance of misfire
    Cannon Flintlock weapon's now have a 10% chance of misfire
    Cannon Matchlock weapon's now have a 14% chance of misfire

After every misfire (for infantry) it takes them 3 seconds to fix there weapon before they can fire again.

These figures feel right to me at the moment, however it anybody can find me an article on the web with realistic misfire percentages for the 18th I would happily adjust the figures.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WSKQCQ5X

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Misfires Mod

from what I have seen and read you are pretty much on target with the misfire rates for the period,although i wonder if this can and will be increased in inclement conditions,such as rain,driving snow and the like

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Nice idea, Warlord! Will try it out
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Quote Originally Posted by Abandoned Warlord View Post

These figures feel right to me at the moment, however it anybody can find me an article on the web with realistic misfire percentages for the 18th I would happily adjust the figures.

I have compiled way too much data on this subject and am glad to share, it's also nice to know other people have noticed this issue with the vanilla game.

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/multimedia/9919
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What I’m going to do now is load and fire this. As you can see, black powder is very dirty stuff. This musket has been fired several times. You may get to see a misfire. In fact, you may get to see several misfires. The other day, I almost busted this thing on that tree right there, I got so aggravated. The dirtier it gets, the harder it is to get it to fire. We want you to understand that your enemy was having misfires at the same rate you were. That was another good reason for having a bayonet, a tomahawk, a knife, some kind of backup. Alright, cross your fingers

http://www.scotwars.com/html/textonl...e_musketry.htm
    Misfires and Fouling
    Misfires happened due to a number of circumstances. The method of loading the musket introduced inaccuracies in the amount of powder used, causing variations in the performance of the weapon. The firing mechanism, with its crude method of priming, was also by no means reliable and misfires occurred frequently. Laurema (1956) states that at the end of the eighteenth century 15 percent of musket shots misfired even in dry conditions. The incidence of misfires must have been appreciably higher in the wet conditions which so many battles were fought in Western Europe. It would therefore seem likely that nearly a quarter of the musket shots misfired.
    Gunpowder leaves a residue after igniting inside the chamber of a musket. This residue continues to accumulate during the heat of battle. This increases the reload time and increases the chance for a misfire. Also flints are brittle and can break, requiring replacement. During a battle a battalion will tend to increase its reload time and deliver less shot as the fouling increases over time. Therefore the most effective volley will be the initial volley and the early subsequent volleys. Some wargame rules give a bonus for the first time a unit shoots. Depending on the time scale of the ruleset, this is a valid factor.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MsB...esult&resnum=6
    of every 100 shots, 20 were misfires and 10 were ignition failures

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    from what I have seen and read you are pretty much on target with the misfire rates for the period,although i wonder if this can and will be increased in inclement conditions,such as rain,driving snow and the like
    Oh it can, it's just locked. I've noticed one file in effects that has something to do with rain misfire but I'm not sure if it's a on/off value (1/0) or a percentage value. I didn't miss around with this too much since it rains too much in game anyways
    Last edited by Lord Nova; April 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

You know I watched that first video before making this mod and thought he was great even talking about how musket where used not for aiming but mass fire.
    Thanks for the other two articles (would rep you but I cannot) and it read like that I have almost got it right according to the second one.

However for now I will keep the figures how they are.

By the way, can you tell me where you saw the rain misfire and will take a look.

Yes actually...there is an awful lot of rain isnt there....

You know I watched that first video before making this mod and thought he was great even talking about how musket where used not for aiming but mass fire.
    Thanks for the other two articles (would rep you but I cannot) and it read like that I have almost got it right according to the second one.

However for now I will keep the figures how they are.

By the way, can you tell me where you saw the rain misfire and will take a look.

Check out DB, Effects_tables, effects. The value is called mod_weapon_misfire_rain and the default value is set to 1, again don't know if this is a on/off value or a percentage. Really hard to test cause I can't make it rain on command, even with my rain dance powers.
    Lethal Mod - Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nova View Post
    Check out DB, Effects_tables, effects. The value is called mod_weapon_misfire_rain and the default value is set to 1, again don't know if this is a on/off value or a percentage. Really hard to test cause I can't make it rain on command, even with my rain dance powers.
    I believe single player skirmish battles give you the option to have rain or not under weather circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    I believe single player skirmish battles give you the option to have rain or not under weather circumstances
    I thought of that but I'm testing out loads of changes so I test them all at once on the campaign map. Abandoned Warlord wants to fiddle with it so I'll just wait for his results, I'm sure they'll be interesting.
    Lethal Mod - Creator

I have changed the value and it does not seem to do anything, also set mod_weapon_misfire to 0 to see if it would disable misfire but it also had no effect.

On another note, while I was testing mod_weapon_misfire_rain I saw a poor militia man misfire 5 times in a row what an unlucky guy.
    Last edited by Abandoned Warlord; April 16, 2009 at 03:57 PM.

_XIII_'s Avatar Libertus

nice idea mate maybe you can add chance of misfire to the native bowmen to balance out because they seem to have laser sights haha

I have changed the value and it does not seem to do anything, also set mod_weapon_misfire to 0 to see if it would disable misfire but it also had no effect.

On another note, while I was testing mod_weapon_misfire_rain I saw a poor militia man misfire 5 times in a row what an unlucky guy.
    Well that's unfortunate, guess we gotta wait till weather file becomes unlocked.
    Lethal Mod - Creator

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Did CA fix the misfire chances? I don't think I saw anything in the patch notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Did CA fix the misfire chances? I don't think I saw anything in the patch notes.

Nope they are still the default values from last patch.
    Lethal Mod - Creator

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Thanks.

Icon8 Re: Misfires Mod

to put it this way for three years being a civil war reenactor i have never come cross a misfire from procusion cap musket the only way a procusion cap can misfire is if the gunpowered is wet

gamer025's Avatar Civis

Install instructions?

Also, following "shawnmohr1989's" post: percussion cap should be changed to 1%. You'd still see them misfire, but far less often. In the video at the top here, he's using a flintlock without a percussion cap.
    Last edited by gamer025; April 14, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added stuff

gamer025's Avatar Civis

Will someone please provide install instructions for this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by gamer025 View Post
    Will someone please provide install instructions for this mod?
    1. Extract the file and put it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data
    2. Download the mod manager: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240335
    3. Run the mod manager. Tick the box for the mod.

gamer025's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by J.Philp View Post
    1. Extract the file and put it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\empire total war\data
    2. Download the mod manager: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240335
    3. Run the mod manager. Tick the box for the mod.
    TYVM. I'm glad someone replied. I haven't tried any mods with Empire until now. When I load the mod manager (1.5) the misfires mod appears in the list, yet there's not checkbox to select it with. Is it auto-loaded in 1.5?