Page 11 of 165 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: Additional Units Mod - Empire (AUM-EMP) 3.7 - updated 14.3.18

Default Re: ADDITIONAL UNITS MOD (AUM) 1.8 for DM + APE + IS + vanilla

I agree - the Fusiliers were light infantry who were bascially meant to protect valuable cannon from attack by other troops. See Royal Welch Fusiliers (old spelling of Welsh) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusiliers. Mine deploy stakes anyway and my marines now have light infantry behaviour like my black watch to be accurate.
    Is there anyway of not using the new Remo skins because I like to pick and choose but I would very much like to use the new mod because my pioneers (Sappers!) need axes as good tree felling engineers (how I wish they could deploy arbres abitoir and earthworks whenever I'd like!)

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    Swiss Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by debaser144 View Post
    for some reason i cannot dl the patch_aum_en_loc_1_8.zip all other files work though
    try it again it works fine
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    What does the freed slaver musketeers look like? Screenshot please.
    Wait, what Vanilla faction can train the slaver musketeers?
    Their upper body is naked and only the "rebel" group can recruit them in vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
    Hi there Swiss Halberdier. Firstly great mod, perhaps one
    The answer is coming soon, just want to reply the others now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marku View Post
    im using proper mod and unit description/names arnt displaying, ive got all the correct files and put them in the right places.
    Horse Grenadier Guards Elite,Fusiliers , Pioneers etc- for example, dont show description
    is this an error ive caused or is it a known error?
    Hello Marku, did you download "patch_aum_loc_en_1_8_proper.pack"?
    Are you using another mod which changes the "localisation.loc" language file?

I have implemented all unit names of APE 1.2.2 in my "proper" language pack. This is until now the only way to be sure that L33's units and mine do appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Guttersnipe View Post
    Hi there Swiss Halberdier. Firstly great mod, perhaps one of the most frustrating aspects of ETW is the lack of unit variety and your mod has certainly addressed this. I registered just to post here so be proud .

Thank you I appreciate that!

Basically i'm wondering if there is some way that I can edit the names and unit descriptions of your new units as i'm kind of a geek when it comes to the historicity of units and, while you're English is excellent, there are a few grammatical and historical errors i'd quite like to edit. I'd be more than happy to PM you what I come up with incase you fancy having a native english speaker write some descriptions for a later release.

Yes you can edit all my names and descriptions like you want. Download the "Pack File Manager" in the "mod-tools-section".

Open my "patch_aum_en_loc_1_8.pack" and go to the bottom of the table. For every unit there a three rows included > name, short description, long description
    Don't change anything in the first column!

I always accept corrections regarding grammatical or spelling errors!

- Fusiliers were typically deployed more as light infantry than as hardcore line regiment. Though there is a lot of difference between countries my research seems to indicate that in most armies they were skirmishers and marksmen. Perhaps they could be given light infantry behaviours and balanced as a sort of mid point between light infantry and line infantry?

Yes I do know this and I created the "Fusiliers" therefore with improved shooting capabilities but very low melee. I will do a few tests with them with "light infantry behaviour" and decreased unit size.

- May I suggest 'Sapper' might be a more appropriate name for your 'Pioneers' in the English version. I am aware that Pioner is the correct German name but in English a pioneer conjures more of an image of colonists and explorers whereas Sappers were the combat engineers of the British Army.

Thanks for this advice! I will change the name in the english version to "Sapper".

- I'm not totally sure about your many 'Elite' regiments. I guess there are two things about it, firstly the name feels slightly awkward, 'Line Infantry Elite' doesn't sound like an actual unit a nation might recruit. Secondly surely these units can become obsolete by simply having a normal unit and exposing them to battle a few times which is a more organic and realistic way of creating an 'elite' unit.

I created this "elite" units as a sort of "late period Line Infantry or Guards".

The "elite" in their name has nothing to do with their experience only with the inital stats and behaviour of the unit. I could switch the "elite" to "late" and then it would be clearer.

At start I did generic units for all factions. And now I'm doing the "faction-related" and more special units.

As I did clearly say in my first post. I know that not all units are 100% historical and I will improve my mod further.

- Linked to this slightly, the 'elite' in Swiss Elite Guards is superfluous because Swiss Guards were by their very nature elite. Most courts in continental Europe had a unit of Swiss Guards to act as a royal bodyguard, famously being the last french troops to surrender in the revolution. There doesn't seem to be a non-elite Swiss Guards in your pack so you can probably remove this.

Yes thats true and I only spelled them "Swiss Guards Elite" because the "A Proper Empire" pack does include a "Swiss Guards" named unit too. I released a special version for APE which all units are playable from both mods.

Anyway, hope those suggestions didn't seem too presumptuous, you're mod definetly shows a lot of promise but I have avoided loading it due to it seeming to overload the game with too many units that may be slightly unnecessary and ahistorical. I'd recommend stripping down the quantity of units you have made and taking the strongest ones (in my view, the Pioneers/Sappers and the Fusiliers would both be great additions to any roster) and giving them some historical and balancing love. That's just my two cents and i'm new here anyway so feel free to ignore me.
    How do I say that... I'm unit addicted and therefore I don't want to strip the main four versions down. But sure if there is any request from a lot of people to do a stripped down version I could do it.

The implementation of historic correct and "error" free english will come for sure! Have patience and stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    I agree - the Fusiliers were light infantry who were bascially meant to protect valuable cannon from attack by other troops. See Royal Welch Fusiliers (old spelling of Welsh) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusiliers. Mine deploy stakes anyway and my marines now have light infantry behaviour like my black watch to be accurate.
    Is there anyway of not using the new Remo skins because I like to pick and choose but I would very much like to use the new mod because my pioneers (Sappers!) need axes as good tree felling engineers (how I wish they could deploy arbres abitoir and earthworks whenever I'd like!)
    Sure the "patch_aum_graphics_1_0.pack" is fully optional.

That's the cool thing about modding. You can always create your own modification of my "AUM" like your personal favour.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Wait, to run your mod, do I need the versions in between? Like I have 1.2, but I want to run 1.8, do I need to download all other versions?

Wait, to run your mod, do I need the versions in between? Like I have 1.2, but I want to run 1.8, do I need to download all other versions?
    No you can always take the highest numbered version and there is everything in there.

But it depends which "major mod" you use. If you don't use other mods then download the "vanilla" version.

What's the AUM graphics thing?
    Also, even tho my mod is on, no units are showing up.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; May 05, 2009 at 07:53 PM.

What's the AUM graphics thing?
    Also, even tho my mod is on, no units are showing up.
    Please read my first post. There is all information you need.

go to this section: Information about the mod and the units

If you don't reach the required building or technology you don't see the units. Go to the military buildings and right-click on them to see which units you can build. Most of my units can be built at the four latest barracks.To check if the mod loads correctly go to the "custom battle" screen.

maxsim666's Avatar Miles

Hi Swiss
    as always you did a great work with this update
    as you suggested me I used to edit pack files with LtChambers PackFileManager to increase unit limit number. It worked great till aum_darth 1,8 upgrade. Now with the last pack file for darth I have error when try to open darthmod pack file and your aum for darth pack file as well. It happens when I try to open unit_tables section
    Please could you tell me which tool did you use to manage your pack file?

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

edit: i removed patch.proper.descriptions.pack and now it works perfectly :-)
    Last edited by Marku; May 06, 2009 at 04:04 AM.

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Quote Originally Posted by maxsim666 View Post
    Hi Swiss
    as always you did a great work with this update
    as you suggested me I used to edit pack files with LtChambers PackFileManager to increase unit limit number. It worked great till aum_darth 1,8 upgrade. Now with the last pack file for darth I have error when try to open darthmod pack file and your aum for darth pack file as well. It happens when I try to open unit_tables section
    Please could you tell me which tool did you use to manage your pack file?
    Probably you use and old PFM. As the patch has made changes to the "units_table" and I updated mine too. Use the new "Pack File Manager" 1.11b who was edited by Alpaca.

Quote Originally Posted by Marku View Post
    edit: i removed patch.proper.descriptions.pack and now it works perfectly :-)
    Good that it worked now for you! Thanks for this information. It is always helpful to hear what the problem was. I will edit my "Installation Instructions" and include this information.

Cipher*'s Avatar Libertus

Hurm strange i got an error on the Darthmod version

Hi guys,

I think it is right that the Fusiliers where a more variable type of unit. Unless I wouldn't take away the ranked fire/formation since they were good shooters and have used their firepower.
    Maybe a mix of both? Capability of hiding AND formations!?

I have to absolutly disagree with the Sapper. The sapper is more an ancient or medieval English term. The army has no sappers, the have Engineers.
    Sapeur is used for the French, right, but not for English.

Good point on the Elite Units. Maybe a "Royal" would fit in some cases!? or a "Guard"?

Alright, got then up, but strange, unit names and descriptions don't come up, even though I have the loc file.

Also, what do the units look after the graphics thing is on, will it affect units currently in the game?
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; May 06, 2009 at 03:32 PM.

It would be awesome if you could do 3 new units of Welsh, Irish and Scots guards and the 78th Highlanders ... Remo could do the skins? That would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher* View Post
    Hurm strange i got an error on the Darthmod version
    What do you mean? CTD on start or while playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
    Hi guys,
    I think it is right that the Fusiliers where a more variable type of unit. Unless I wouldn't take away the ranked fire/formation since they were good shooters and have used their firepower.
    Maybe a mix of both? Capability of hiding AND formations!?
    I have to absolutly disagree with the Sapper. The sapper is more an ancient or medieval English term. The army has no sappers, the have Engineers.
    Sapeur is used for the French, right, but not for English.
    Good point on the Elite Units. Maybe a "Royal" would fit in some cases!? or a "Guard"?
    In the next version the "Fusiliers" change to something between "Line Infantry" and "Light Infantry". They still have a sword for melee.

> they still can do "rank_fire" and form a "square".
    > they have the "light_infantry_behaviour", "wooden_stakes" and "guard mode"
    > they don't have the "skirmishing" function because the UI can only have five "abilities icons".
    > they don't have 300 soldiers anymore. I have to test how many but surely a decreased size

I saw several names for the "Pioneers" in various ressources around the web. In German makes "Pionier / Sappeur" sense. But I think for English-native speaking people means the word "Pioneers" more like "explorers, settlers, colonists and adventure people".

That all are happy I could call them "Engineer / Sapper" and "Pionier / Sappeur".

In my FAQ is a how-to section which covers changing the name of an unit. Therefore you all can change the name to that you want.

Alright, got then up, but strange, unit names and descriptions don't come up, even though I have the loc file.
    Also, what do the units look after the graphics thing is on, will it affect units currently in the game?
    Please read my detailed installation instructions. Do you have other mods with own language packs installed? The "Lordz Map Pack" does make problems if installed with my mod because only one language file is allowed at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    It would be awesome if you could do 3 new units of Welsh, Irish and Scots guards and the 78th Highlanders ... Remo could do the skins? That would be awesome!
    Good idea with the Guards but at the moment I'm coming closely to the "unit limitation of the UI". Go to my first post and there is a screenshot section of the "recruitment queues" to see what I mean.

Wait, how would I defeat the "no text" problem?
    Also, I got the new pack maNAGER, STILL CAN'T ACCESS UNIT_TABLES!

Wait, how would I defeat the "no text" problem?
    Also, I got the new pack maNAGER, STILL CAN'T ACCESS UNIT_TABLES!
    Delete the old PFM 1.11a. Probably the windows file manager is associated with the old one. Then re-open my pack with the new PFM 1.11b. I added a new column into this table and the old PFM can't open that file.

Cheshire Cat's Avatar Civis

Good Varity on units Swiss the prussian giants are great we need more line units and nice to see Remo skinning like his work good job all of you....

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Good Varity on units Swiss the prussian giants are great we need more line units and nice to see Remo skinning like his work good job all of you....
    Thanks a lot and I'm really happy that I can use the awesome textures of HellFell, Remo and Ranger86 in my mod.

Hello to all AUM fans,

I'm working on my new AUM 1.9 release. AUM 1.8 is still compatible to all major mods and vanilla. But the stats of the major mods have changed and I will update my custom units stats in AUM 1.9 related to theirs.

Link to my "AUM Units Album" with screenshots of all included units and a preview of six new units which will be included in AUM 1.9

Link to my "New TEXTURES in AUM" with screenshots of the included re-textures from HellFell and Remo

Cheers and stay tuned for my new AUM 1.9 soon.
    Swiss Halberdier