Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fall of the Cross & Rise of the Crescent (FCRC) - General Discussion (until release FCRC 1.0)

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: Fall of the Cross & Rise of the Crescent (FCRC) - Development

Also, the Mongols at least expand with their new units. By 1220 They have taken all the settlements east of the Rus. Which is good, since the Rus were attacked by 1220-1240.

Since modding can sometimes become a little tedious I decided to do something else for an hour or so, but I still wanted it to be related to the mod

And so I created a wallpaper! More are in the works, too.

It's a picture of the Varangoi, and I have made 2 versions:
    1. 1600x1200
    2. 1200x900
    Both are widescreen, but I guess it can be resized, even though that would look ridiculous.

Here an example of how it looks on my screen:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I've actually made the 1200x900 version because I found that a fullscreen image without black borders just looks silly, and since my monitors native resolution is 1600x1200...
    EDIT:
    Made another one!

All in the attachement =D
    And if anyone's got any request as to which unit you want a wallpaper of, please say so!

IMPORTANT: If anyone's got artistic skills, can he/she make a FCRC logo for me? Preferably on an Alpha background, so it's "paste-able" into wallpapers.
    IMPORTANT2: (God, I'm way too productive this evening...) Scrap that, I've made one myself until something better comes along...:

You can see it on the Saracen background. It -especially the fall of the cross part- looks blurry on TWC, it's actually a lot sharper.
    Included it in the zip for people who want to have a look
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; October 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM.

DV, is this logo good enough for the first post in the thread?
    Preview
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those who don't know; FCRC is an official Chivalry - Total War submod/expansion and will run from 1191 AD to 1315 AD.
    Included are the Third Crusade, the sacking of Constantinople, the Mongol Invasion and all the wars and misery during this timeframe. Prerequistites are Rome - Total War (optional: Barbarian Invasion) and Chivalry - Total War version 1.07
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time, it's what I call the "opening battles", of which Arsuf is the most known one.

Arsuf

The Saracen ambush at Arsuf

Next to Arsuf, there are some other battles/invasions that occurred around the starting date (1191).
    These include:
    1. Hungarian conquest of Croatia. Happened 5 years prior to the starting date, but I included it to give some importance to the Hungarian faction
    2. Holy Roman invasion of Sicily. Was on it's way during the starting date, so you'll start with an army near Naples if you are the HRE. This adds lots of difficulty to the Normans-Sicilian kingdom, which ironically seized to exist because of the German invasion. HRE players will also find themselves stretched out across Europe if they manage to conquer Sicily, and will be attacked from all sides.
    3. Retreat of the Holy Roman army from Anatolia after the death of Frederick "Barbarossa" von Hohenstaufen. This is a pretty big army, but you'll have to deal with Seljuk ambushes. You basically have 2 choices: continue to the Holy Land and build a crusader state, or move back to Europe so you can use the extra manpower to fortify your holdings.

I've been thinking about the 4th Crusade, which led to the sacking of Constantinople by Venice and the creation of a Latin Empire under Venetian control. Still thinking of how to simulate this. Perhaps having an AI Italian army -the Italian faction will more and more represent Venice rather than Pisa, which was on its decline during the 13th century- in Greece can do the trick.

So as you can see, the action is mainly going on in Central and Eastern Europe: The Teutonic order arises, Mongolians invade from the east, Byzantium basically ceased being an important power about 10 years into the campaign and the Angevins (Norman England) were driven out of France by the French king, which led to France becoming a more important power in Europe. A Polish civil war, some sort of "Hungarian Golden Age" and the still ongoing Reconquista make this campaign a lot "faster" than its earlier counterparts.

Next Preview is about... The Mongols! I've done some balancing, and I'm very glad to say that they expand as they should. It takes some time for them to get rolling, but their expansion is something like a snowball effect: it keeps getting faster, and as soon as they reach the Crimea, they just get the money to get really strong, and around that time (by 1230/1240) they also invade the Middle East.
    These guys aren't as bad as their Medieval 2 - Total War cousins:
    they're worse.
    More info about them in the next preview
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; November 06, 2010 at 09:15 AM.

sounds like fun!
    nice job

If you are depressed, just stop being depressed.
    - Ace Rimmer | March 18th ,2014

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Congrat to new prewiev and logo (I like it ), and gud luck with the mod

Thanks, guys! Stay tuned for the next preview, which will probably be the largest and final one. Next to info about the Mongols you'll see an explanation of certain historical incorrect choices I made to enhance gameplay. But because of them I can happily say: the AI will perfectly simulate all big events that happened during the timeframe.

As you can see, I've made a signature. You can right-click it, copy it's URL and paste it into you sig.
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; October 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Very promising progress

DV, is this logo good enough for the first post in the thread?
    It has some charme, and an interesting expression, also as for its size - while it has 3 different typographies, what i personally wouldn't apply, but that has been your intention of course, so why not?

Your campaign will surely put life into the old ChivTW mod, great work.

Edit:
    Do you want me to make already the advertisement-thread within the public ChivTW forum? If you already like, You can provide the thread and i just put it into the stickies.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 22, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Dont know why I am not allowed to upload images for signature

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Very promising progress

It has some charme, and an interesting expression, also as for its size - while it has 3 different typographies, what i personally wouldn't apply, but that has been your intention of course, so why not?
    Yup, my intention was to make it more unique; as you can see, "The fall of the Cross" is written in Arabic style, while "Rise of the Crescent" is written in decayed Romanesque letters

Your campaign will surely put life into the old ChivTW mod, great work
    Thanks, this mod is so special, so unique; no other mod can rival its atmosphere, and you and other people have done too much work for it to just be forgotten

Do you want me to make already the advertisement-thread within the public ChivTW forum? If you already like, You can provide the thread and i just put it into the stickies.
    So if I understand that correctly, I can provide the advertisement thread and you'll sticky it? Of course!

I'm also experimenting with skinning -especially buildings-.
    You see, I might have found a way to make cities and castles appear in the game; the skins just aren't right.
    Not of importance to the mod yet, and especially not for FCRC. If I get a breakthrough, I'll see if I can make a different submod.

Dont know why I am not allowed to upload images for signature
    You have gone to your profile management? The easiest way to get there is just to click on Private Messages on the top-right corner in the forums. On the left you'll then see your profile management menu. If you then click "edit signature", you can paste the URL of my signature between [.IMG][./IMG] brackets (remove the dots).
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; October 23, 2010 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f View Post
    You have gone to your profile management? The easiest way to get there is just to click on Private Messages on the top-right corner in the forums. On the left you'll then see your profile management menu. If you then click "edit signature", you can paste the URL of my signature between [.IMG][./IMG] brackets (remove the dots).
    I did it but it shows only the link of the signature not the image. It is probably because in the signature permissions below is: Can Upload Images for Signature No

Patrician Artifex

So if I understand that correctly, I can provide the advertisement thread and you'll sticky it?
    Yep.

"The fall of the Cross" is written in Arabic style, while "Rise of the Crescent" is written in decayed Romanesque letters
    Imo., vice versa, it would make sense as well.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

That's the point; it's inverted

Patrician Artifex

I'll make a thread for now, that links to the FCRC development thread and the interactive AAR thread.

Edit: Done. I'll change the current announcement thread "... Campaign Development" to "... Released", when the campaign is released, and of course will add the link to the separate release thread.
    Bull, you are then of course free to take contact to a global moderator/admin to request a TWC frontpage announcement.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 24, 2010 at 01:16 PM.

Cool.

Expect the release within 1 or 2 weeks or so, depends on how final balancing goes.

Just a little updated next to the balancing:

I added a HDR (aka Bloom) effect to the optional folder. Credit goes to the ENBseries & the RSII team for bringing this into RTW modding.
    Still tweaking the settings, since these are the default ones.
    As you can see, it gives the environment and metal a very nice "shine".

Very nice! Looking forward to this one.

Thanks

Now a question for DV; the factional "starting positions" maps -the ones you see in the faction select screen-; how do you make them? I know you made a new one for, for example, France when CE was released. Do you have something like a blank map from which you paint these things, since I can't really reproduce the colours used.

Just a little updated next to the balancing:
    [IMG]Have removed the picture*/DV[/IMG]
    I added a HDR (aka Bloom) effect to the optional folder. Credit goes to the ENBseries & the RSII team for bringing this into RTW modding.
    Still tweaking the settings, since these are the default ones.
    As you can see, it gives the environment and metal a very nice "shine".
    Its really nice

*Hint: It makes less sense to quote screenshots, and takes forum space without a relevant purpose.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 30, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Thanks

Now a question for DV; the factional "starting positions" maps -the ones you see in the faction select screen-; how do you make them? I know you made a new one for, for example, France when CE was released. Do you have something like a blank map from which you paint these things, since I can't really reproduce the colours used.
    A lot time ago, that we worked on those tga's - they are in the camp folders. You'll need ie. photoshop to reproduce the colours, and as for such a blank map file, i don't know if there is one or not.

I tried with Photoshop, but it's difficult.

I'll see if I can perhaps make all new maps.