Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: the Seven Years War mod (originally: asking for permission.)

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: the Seven Years War mod (originally: asking for permission.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    thanks!

of course, if there's anything you feel you can help with, the mod-folder above is available for download: you can create what may be useful, and send it to me.

It's actually why it's up: I'm hoping more people can work on it direct. There's a lot of RL issues I have to deal with at the moment, and work on the mod, while ongoing, is erratic as a result.
    ah i see , i have been busy with oim ....i will take a look at it

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    ah i see , i have been busy with oim ....i will take a look at it
    thanks!

But take your time: your work on OiM is pretty sweet!
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

just updating, to inform everyone that I am working on horse models. they are coming nicely. the French, British, and Swedes were just completed. next will be Prussian, Austrian, Spanish, and Russian horses. After that, will depend on who I get information on first.

many cavalry units will also feature the first case in RTW (or any total war engine game or mod), of horsemen standing knee to knee--a crucial aspect of 18th century cavalry in Europe.

I have also made a huge discovery for modders of M2TW, RTW, BI, and Alex, with the significant--nay decisive--assistance of user Paedric: the exact nature of accuracy as stated in descr_projectile.txt . the results can be found here. based on it, changes will be made to Musket accuracy:

1-the average "accuracy" (or more accurately, the maximum deviation) of a musket will be 0.392 rad (22.5 degrees). all line infantry will get around this accuracy, with slight adjustments to account for training and musket type, so as not to exceed 0.5 rad, nor go under 0.35 rad. accuracy on a general basis for line infantry has be ranked as follows (for Europeans). I do not count light infantry, Jaegers, or Janissaries in this.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    slightly above average: Britain, Austria-Hungary, Savoy/Sardinia/whatever name suits you (replacing the Palatinate), Hanover (same faction slot as Britain's), Hessen Kassel. these are in no particular order, and are defined as those averaging an "accuracy" of about 0.35-0.38 rad.

average: Prussia, France, Russia, HRE (attached to Austria-Hungary), Hessen Darmstadt, Bavaria (provisionally), and whoever I left out of this list XD. they will have an average accuracy ranging from 0.381 to 0.44 rad. again, no particular order

below average: Sweden, Denmark Norway, Wuerttemberg (provisionally--there are some things to deal with first), Portugal, Spain (possibly?). these range from a mean of 0.441 to 0.51 rad. and of course, no particular order.

the Ottomans will have a different system, on account of their differing muskets (or rifles--depends on the Janissary type). same applies to the musketeers from India and from the Native American peoples. rifles will naturally have a different system.

in other news, artillery has been classified into 7 types:

1-light/regimental guns
    2-field pieces (medium or heavy)
    3-siege guns
    4-howitzers
    5-mortars.
    6-rockets
    7-specialty pieces.

these can be in turn divided based on three criteria:

1-mobility: immobile (relatively), foot (slow), and horse artillery (medium speed).
    2-loading: muzzle loaded, breech loaded, or using the Geschwindstück (unique to Saxony and Savoy) system of loading.
    3-specialty (if applicable): useful for secret howitzers.

these have four broad systems:

1-based on 3's (3, 6, 9, 12, etc pdrs): almost all protestant countries, Russia (mostly), Savoy, and Austria use this.
    2-base on 4's (4, 8, 12, etc pdrs): France mainly.
    3-Turkish (self explanatory)
    4-unorganized: Spain, portugal, Mughal empire.

I have also made it official: all guns get recoil.

of course, suggestions are as always very welcome.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

good work on the projectile maths , very interesting

the "Geschwindstück" system is... special. to say the least. Will you animate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
    the "Geschwindstück" system is... special. to say the least. Will you animate it?
    it will be, though it won't be easy. It's a marvel of military technology from the 18th century, solving the problem of loading cannons with extreme speed without the breech leaking gas, or the cannon discharging prematurely, blowing the loader's arms off. And it was definitely used on the battlefield by Savoy and Saxony--especially the latter, so I cannot leave it out.

it will be, though it won't be easy. It's a marvel of military technology from the 18th century, solving the problem of loading cannons with extreme speed without the breech leaking gas, or the cannon discharging prematurely, blowing the loader's arms off. And it was definitely used on the battlefield by Savoy and Saxony--especially the latter, so I cannot leave it out.
    ouch... i have never heard of this ...any links to the finer details of this cannon would be greatly read

ouch... i have never heard of this ...any links to the finer details of this cannon would be greatly read
    you can find the a basic article here, by Christian Rogge. He also has a blog, which is linked in the article--I suggest reading what is in it as well if you want a detailed analysis. he's pretty good at his business I can tell you that--one of the best online.

incidentally, Kronoskaf is my main place to go for all basic research needs; helps that I'm a regular contributor
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; September 05, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

one other thing:

should anyone reading this, be able to describe to me cavalry tactics and formations from the seven years war in some detail (intervals between horses, and ranks of horses), number of ranks, and how a charge was mounted, I would be happy to make use of that information as best as possible.

you can find the a basic article here, by Christian Rogge. He also has a blog, which is linked in the article--I suggest reading what is in it as well if you want a detailed analysis. he's pretty good at his business I can tell you that--one of the best online.

incidentally, Kronoskaf is my main place to go for all basic research needs; helps that I'm a regular contributor
    nice one .....its some machine...i want one loading.....doh

nice one .....its some machine...i want one loading.....doh

well, it'll have to wait: one thing that needs sorting out is how to design the appropriate skeletons and animations. rest assured, I'm working on the design atm--though how long till even a preview will depend on how my job search/new round of graduate school applications go.

EDIT: in the meantime, some Swedish cavalry:

Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; September 07, 2012 at 01:12 AM.

Sir Mano's Avatar Civis

well, it'll have to wait: one thing that needs sorting out is how to design the appropriate skeletons and animations. rest assured, I'm working on the design atm--though how long till even a preview will depend on how my job search/new round of graduate school applications go.

EDIT: in the meantime, some Swedish cavalry:

nice! Is that first picture sky edited cuase it looks amazing
    that Geschwindstück cannon thingi looks nice altough I don't really understand how it works
    your doing really nice things here I can't wait till the full version would be released on day

I f you haven't clicked on one of these images, there is something wrong with you

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Mano View Post
    nice! Is that first picture sky edited cuase it looks amazing
    that Geschwindstück cannon thingi looks nice altough I don't really understand how it works
    your doing really nice things here I can't wait till the full version would be released on day
    well, I'm afraid the first picture was not sky edited, unless you meant the sky mod, which is another person's work (I forget the name, but I listed him in the credits). the Skins are atm provisional for the most part: Thibaud has already re-skinned a few--haven't previewed them yet though.

As to the Geschwindestück: it does seem complicated at first, but it isn't too much so: it's essentially a veriety of "drop cannon", to Quote Mr. Rogge: the barrel is kept in place by a series of transoms and wedges, which also act to adjust the elevation when deployed (for aiming).

to use it, just place the cartridge into the barrel--don't ram. the result is a cartridge that is seated just inside the muzzle. then remove the transoms: this will cause the barrel to swing back to an angle of ~65 degrees, which creates enough impetus from gravitational pull to force the cartridge down the barrel, eliminating the use of a ramrod (hence not ramming). To lay it for firing, there is a T-handle which the gunners pulled, at which point the transoms and wedges were reinserted. Train it at your target, and you get the ultimate canister spamming device.

of course, that also meant the pieces were expensive and a pain to maintain.

Where should i unpack the files.this is a stupid question and sorry if it's already has been answered

Sorry me again i have sucssesfully installed the mod but doesn't have full screen and get a vierd error that says Generic error Database_table error found unrecogniesed record id roman generals guard cavalry early requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    Sorry me again i have sucssesfully installed the mod but doesn't have full screen and get a vierd error that says Generic error Database_table error found unrecogniesed record id roman generals guard cavalry early requested.
    I have no idea what the problem is. and yes, it's suppose to be windowed--for modding. if you don't want it, just git rid of the -ne command line, and it'll be full screen.

well, let's recap: tell me if you missed a step:

1-on downloading, you unzipped the modfolder in the same place your executable is?
    2-you do have alex.exe?
    3-if both are available, did you double check your shortcut to make sure it is going to the right place?
    4-did you change the name of the modfolder from SYW? I hope not.
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; September 15, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

ok thanks when i started the mod today the error didn't came up and it works with fullscreen

hi all where can i download the syw mod?? thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger12 View Post
    hi all where can i download the syw mod?? thanks in advance
    a few pages back.

allright, so a quick update to tell you all that I will start with Austrian artillery: already made the 3 pdr, hopefully the 6 pdr is next. both will be the field gun variety.