Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving a(2) Unit Slots (Idea)

Icon3 Saving a(2) Unit Slots (Idea)

Well when I was playing Stainless a few minutes ago, I realized this, when you get a Teutonic Order House (Guild, any level) you get a Teutonic Knight, and Dismounted Teutonic Knight. Well we all know that their are ritteburgers, and these were the true Teutonic Knights, so why not make the Teutonic Order Guild give you Ritterburgers, and Dismounted Ritterburgers?

IF we did this, and maybe make a patch or file to change this and elimate thouse Teutonic knights, Mounted and Dismounted this could save us two unit slots, right, or is it just one? After we did this, we could add some new specialized units to another faction which is missing some, after their is a poll and we all agree!

Ideas? comments?
    (Sorry but I lack the skill to do this, so someone else has to )
    ~BioHazard

No, that isn't a banana

Default Re: Saving a(2) Unit Slots (Idea)

I can think of a few more units to get rid of instead...

some boats
    some siege weapons
    some peasants

sounds good
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Well if we were to get rid of all of these units, ie; Ballista, Teutonic Knights (Replace with Ritterburger), and peasants, we would need to replace them with something, and we would have to thinks of what that would be. Any Ideas on what the replacement units could be?

(Ill post a more detailed version of this in Sub-Mods)

~BioHazard

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BioHazard2121 View Post
    Well when I was playing Stainless a few minutes ago, I realized this, when you get a Teutonic Order House (Guild, any level) you get a Teutonic Knight, and Dismounted Teutonic Knight. Well we all know that their are ritteburgers, and these were the true Teutonic Knights, so why not make the Teutonic Order Guild give you Ritterburgers, and Dismounted Ritterburgers?

IF we did this, and maybe make a patch or file to change this and elimate thouse Teutonic knights, Mounted and Dismounted this could save us two unit slots, right, or is it just one? After we did this, we could add some new specialized units to another faction which is missing some, after their is a poll and we all agree!

Ideas? comments?
    (Sorry but I lack the skill to do this, so someone else has to )
    ~BioHazard
    That's exactly what I did with my Novgorod mod to free up 2 unit slots.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

sounds like a great idea! Always thought peasants and ballistas were a complete waste of space.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

They'd be too powerful for HRE. Now HRE has a nice unit roster and with this bruders their armies would be unstoppable. Better idea is :
    I can think of a few more units to get rid of instead...

some boats
    some siege weapons
    some peasants

I agree with AirnetSnake, bruders would be accessible too early via the guilds, and outclass the equivalent guild knights for the other factions.

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Ballistas arent a waste of a space they have uses. Plus what would a level one siege wrkshp get you if they didnt exist?

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by ssmarine View Post
    Ballistas arent a waste of a space they have uses. Plus what would a level one siege wrkshp get you if they didnt exist?

Get rid of them to. To be honest with you, I've never built any siege weapons ever. That's right - EVER. muahahahaha. A waste of space, me thinks. I'd have no problems getting rid of them entirely.

They show up in field battles way too many times for my liking, and waiting for the AI to exhaust all their ammo during a siege is a giant waste of time - I've got better things to do, lol.

In fact, to free up a few more spaces it might be easier just to have some universal militia units, rather than culture specific ones. ie, one Archer Militia vs several types currently in game...or one spear militia vs the half dozen or so in game...

Ok, so that should open up 20, 30, or even 40 new unit spaces.

If I get around to releasing my AoR mod, I might include some of these changes...

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

Well, I have to say, I never use the gunpowder units myself, except for the cannons later in my campaign... Maybe get rid of them...?

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

All siege weapons are useful IMO, even though I have increased the number of catapults and ballistas per unit to three to make them useful. >.>

They are great on the defence, especially if you have plenty of archers with stakes and decent infantry. I annihilated a 5000 man Kiven Rus army who was attacking my 1500 strong stack of Polish troops, which had trebuchets, mangonels, catapults, plenty of lithuanian archers and some spearmen. I got a nice spot up high on a cliff, ended in a heroic victory.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by themoob View Post
    All siege weapons are useful IMO, even though I have increased the number of catapults and ballistas per unit to three to make them useful. >.>

They are great on the defence, especially if you have plenty of archers with stakes and decent infantry. I annihilated a 5000 man Kiven Rus army who was attacking my 1500 strong stack of Polish troops, which had trebuchets, mangonels, catapults, plenty of lithuanian archers and some spearmen. I got a nice spot up high on a cliff, ended in a heroic victory.

...but doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous? I mean, really, siege weapons in an open-field battle? I know it's fun to kill thousands of people, and get a heroic victory, but it seems a little cheesy and unrealistic to do it this way...

i've never used balistas since m2tw...waste construction time to build workshop when i could be building another more important building, take 2 turns? to recruit (again i could be recruiting two mailed knights that will always be better, and more badass ) lastly they don't do anything good; they can't shot at gates, their accuracy is **** and so the only reason to use them would be in a battle which they fire one or two shots before the enemy become too close.

Waste if you ask me
    ...but doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous? I mean, really, siege weapons in an open-field battle? I know it's fun to kill thousands of people, and get a heroic victory, but it seems a little cheesy and unrealistic to do it this way...
    OTZ has a point, the only siege weapons that were first extensively used in open -field battles were cannons by the ottomans. One of their secrets to battlefield success
    Last edited by spanish_emperor; June 11, 2008 at 07:27 AM.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

well if you think that with the Ritterbuger they would be too powerful, you could make them have a low availibity, and therefore limit they presence.

~BioHazard

Quote Originally Posted by BioHazard2121 View Post
    well if you think that with the Ritterbuger they would be too powerful, you could make them have a low availibity, and therefore limit they presence.

~BioHazard
    Or maybe make them appear later? around the time they were created by Richard the Lionheart me thinks

Beware of scoundrels

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

An other way to save a unit slot is to make the simmilar spear and sword units one (double weaponed like Laca's spearmen-2nd version)...
    Instad having swordmen and sergeants(spearmen)we could have only a unit(sergeants)...
    The big issue is that in a double weaponed unit a player is not certain that the unit will fight with the corect weapon(against cavalry or infantry)...
    Maybe through the ability button maybe....who knows the coders or the scripters may find the answer...
    Who ever achive that will make history in the mod chronicles!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Barser's Avatar Senator

No I don't like this idea. Hre should not get ritterbrüder. It's fine as it is. Why not start by removing some of the clone units?
    You could free up a lot of units by giving all factions the same artellry. I mean do we rally need a eastern and northern? Who cares if the crew looks the same? They should all be northern imo.

And btw I like balistaes and peasants.

Actually there is 5 types of ballista catapul trebuchet etc.

We could limet each of them to 1. That's freaking lots of units slots.

NE Catapult
    EE Catapult
    GR Catapult
    ME Catapult
    AS Catapult

Waste of space
    Last edited by Barser; June 11, 2008 at 07:53 AM.

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

Erlinggra's Avatar Campidoctor

I agreed ritterbruder is to powerful for HRE, I would support giving them halbbruder thought.

About the different siege weapons; IMO all the different catapults, mangonels, trebuchets, balistas, canons and peasants are just as wasted as the other. Hope somone can fix this as this game is in dire need of some new units for some factions, and some balance fixes.

TheColdTruth's Avatar Ordinarius

I vote for HRE getting the ritterbruder from the Teutonic Order House. Just let them have it later like someone else said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast