Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

Default Re: Creating a World - Stone Forts on the Battle Map

The forts are mainly for the slave faction. They represent the strongholds of minor noblemen who want to take your place on the throne because you're incompetent.

Question: Why do you have to enter farming_level and famine_level in the descr_stat file under the region where the fort is?

Are those lines necessary? I don't remember using them before. Seems they might conflict with the regions file.
    Last edited by Nordlaender; September 03, 2021 at 05:34 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If you 'only' backed up the SS6.3\data folder that's fine - the files in the mod's root folder will not get affected.

Glad to see that you successfully implemented the stone forts. Some caution: if the AI can build permanent forts you might end up having them dotted along the landscape like raisins. Your idea of making it expensive is a good step to reduce that, but you will need to experiment at what level a price is that let's them still build but not in excess.

farming and famine levels are coding left overs from RTW - they have no influence\impact whatsoever but are required. Same like the most of the entries in the descr_lbc_db file.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 03, 2021 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    If you 'only' backed up the SS6.3\data folder that's fine - the files in the mod's root folder will not get affected.

Glad to see that you successfully implemented the stone forts. Some caution: if the AI can build permanent forts you might end up having them dotted along the landscape like raisins. Your idea of making it expensive is a good step to reduce that, but you will need to experiment at what level a price is that let's them still build but not in excess.

farming and famine levels are coding left overs from RTW - they have no influence\impact whatsoever but are required. Same like the most of the entries in the descr_lbc_db file.
    Hey! Thanks for that info on the old coding and it being necessary. I would have probably stripped that out cause I don't remember it in my last mod (but that was years ago).

As for the AI building forts, well, that's an obstacle that the player must face. However, at 5 grand a fort, I don't think they will build any unless it is an emergency. For a long time the AI would not build a watchtower because the price was always 2 grand. I think I saw one built at that price. I believe if you want to build a watchtower, you have to maintain it, defend it, and provide it with enough manpower (horses and riders) for it to actually work, and 200 was just ridiculously low for that. I like suspense in a game. Knowing where everything and everybody is just isn't much fun for me.

Only problem I see with the stone forts is that they are permanent, and if the AI is stupid, it might build one in a really dumb place, and then it's there for good, but historically, most men were stupid, so... hey!

Blog Entries

Only problem I see with the stone forts is that they are permanent, and if the AI is stupid, it might build one in a really dumb place, and then it's there for good, but historically, most men were stupid, so... hey!
    Yup, that's bound to happen, cross fingers it's not too often. There is actually a console command that will show you 'choke points' which I think is how the AI makes defending decision and places forts.

toggle_terrain choke - check out the other variables for that console command inn the docudemons and in this thread.

Yup, that's bound to happen, cross fingers it's not too often. There is actually a console command that will show you 'choke points' which I think is how the AI makes defending decision and places forts.

toggle_terrain choke - check out the other variables for that console command inn the docudemons and in this thread.
    Holy Cow!!!! Thanks for that info on the choke points! I will definitely check that out and see what it shows. That's just great info right there. Thanks!

Blog Entries

That info is kind of important to me because I read somewhere that once a flood occurs in a tile, that tile is no longer traversable, which means that a flood in a mountain pass effectively shuts if off for the rest of the game. (I still want my floods! They were so cool in vanilla mode.)

Blog Entries

Correct: the flood event disallows further building of towers and forts and it also continues to slow down movement. In mods it is usually disabled\deleted in descr_disasters.

Correct: the flood event disallows further building of towers and forts and it also continues to slow down movement. In mods it is usually disabled\deleted in descr_disasters.
    I noticed that, but you are saying that it just slows down movement through that tile. I thought from what I read that no movement was allowed after the flood in that tile, and yet I seem NOT to remember being able to go through a mountain pass in the Vanilla campaign even though it had flooded before.

Can you verify it either way? Do you know for sure? Cause I want my floods back!

Blog Entries

Movement is slowed down. Building is disabled. Permanently. It could be that during the one or two turns of the flood event movement is not possible, but it certainly is afterward.

That's good to know. A lot of those floods occur in mountain passes, and I don't want them blocked off permanently. I also don't really want the Rebels or whoever to build forts there, so maybe a flood would do some good. (secretly enables massive flooding --- hee hee hee)

Blog Entries

Cool!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rudes
    Good day. could someone help me? I'm playing an existing mod that I modified myself.. I mean regions and factions. the game has permanent stone forts that can be built during the campaign. I tried to make them from the beginning of the campaign on the map, I do everything according to the instructions, but the fortress does not appear on the map.
    The forts need to be listed in descr_strat as in the example. The difficulty here is to specify the correct region. To do so move your mouse to the point on the map where you want to place the fort and the activate the console by pressing the ` key (next to 1 on top) and then type show_cursorstat - that will give you the region name and the co-ordinates, example:
    Code:
    pos 109,150, region id 21 (Nottingham Region)
    You now have to open data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and look for the region name, example:
    Code:
    {Nottingham_Province}Nottingham Region
    Now use the name inside the curly bracket for the fort entry in descr_strat together with the co-ordinates you found, example:
    Code:
    region Nottingham_Province
    farming_level 0
    famine_threat 0
    fort   109 150 stone_fort_b culture northern_european

Well, I don't know what I was doing wrong.. maybe the gap wasn't written correctly or I don't know but you're just a master and thank you for your help because I'm already doing it. thank you very much again

still such a question... can any properties be assigned to fortresses? for example, the impact on the economy in the region or something similar? so that the faction should be cheeky about those fortresses and defend?

Blog Entries

Great to hear you got it going.

It's rather convoluted script wise (the assigning) and it's unlikely that the AI will take note of it.

and is it possible to bite it? or some tutorial on this topic I can find here somewhere?

And is it possible to try it? or some tutorial on this topic I can find here somewhere?

Blog Entries

I just did a follow up on this - I could not find a way to test if a fort exists (I had assumed it was possible). So that's unfortunately not possible.