Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royal Court

Default Re: Palace of Westminister

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Gerold considers for a moment. "A marriage to one of Williams kin would be best to cement your rule with the Norman lords," He said after a while, "But I had hoped they would be in London not tucked away in Normandy. I doubt any overtures would be taken seriously at this stage."

He considers for several moments, "The other option is to find a marriage among one of your lords. It will not do as much to gain you security but it will tie another lord more closely to your reign." William did not like that Mortain had left to take control of the dutchy of Normandy. He would be trouble in the future.

"Maybe you're right. Or we could look to further across the channel. Perhaps in Frankia, or Daneland?"

The King's own mother was a foreign princess, well connected with both the Hungarians and the Germans. He didn't particularly want to marry, but he vaguely understood the importance of continuing his line.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

(Odo of Bayeux is literally living in Westminster, so all of this RP is unnecessary since the king would literally show up and find the bishop here. Sorry for not making that clear.)
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 14, 2018 at 12:47 AM.

(I'll just have Odo of Bayeux come to the king as if he left and returned to London I guess, whatever)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edgar is interrupted just after noon, a couple days after entering Westminster, by news that the Bishop of Bayeux, the late conquerer's half-brother Odo, was waiting for an audience. It was well whispered throughout many circles since the battle of Goodrich that he'd became lame. So much for the image of the continental club-bearing warrior bishop.

Edgar returns from a hunt to be greeted with the news of Bayeux's arrival. After washing and redressing, he makes his way into the audience chamber. The Bishop is sent inside to meet with him, and finds the King standing within, waiting expectantly.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post

"Maybe you're right. Or we could look to further across the channel. Perhaps in Frankia, or Daneland?"

The King's own mother was a foreign princess, well connected with both the Hungarians and the Germans. He didn't particularly want to marry, but he vaguely understood the importance of continuing his line.

Gerold drummed his fingers on the table thoughtfully, in truth he had not considered a foreign bride for the king, but it might not be a terrible idea.

"I do not know my king, a marriage to France may dissuade further action from the new duke of Normandy, but I doubt a marriage to the Danes will do much in the future." He said finally. A marriage to France would be interesting, but he was unsure of if it would be the best way to secure the kingdom and line moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    Gerold drummed his fingers on the table thoughtfully, in truth he had not considered a foreign bride for the king, but it might not be a terrible idea.

"I do not know my king, a marriage to France may dissuade further action from the new duke of Normandy, but I doubt a marriage to the Danes will do much in the future." He said finally. A marriage to France would be interesting, but he was unsure of if it would be the best way to secure the kingdom and line moving forward.

"Frankia, then. Or one of William's distant kin. It might ease the doubts of the barons."

He'd have the clerics search through lines of descent, or whatever it is they do. They might find someone in England or abroad with the 'right' bloodline to marry.

"I'll leave it in your hands. I don't have the patience to decide these things."

Edgar gave a sheepish grin.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Baron Aubrey de Vere, who was surprised to find himself under a Saxon king on one otherwise-ordinary day and even more surprised that this King (a man younger than himself) had let him keep his post as Treasurer, arrives at Westminster to see Edgar.

De Vere is admitted into Westminster Palace, and ushered into the audience chamber where the King waits. He dismisses his current guests; two noblewomen, as it happens, and strides forward towards De Vere.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Godwin Haroldson arrived to see the King.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

After recovering from a fever, which Stigand blamed on 'ill humors', the archbishop wishes to see this new king. Ofcourse Stigand was dressed in richly clad robes.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

De Vere is admitted into Westminster Palace, and ushered into the audience chamber where the King waits. He dismisses his current guests; two noblewomen, as it happens, and strides forward towards De Vere.
    "Congratulations on your ascension to the throne of your forebears, King Edgar." De Vere greeted his unexpected new liege with practiced formality, bowing as he did so. "And thank you for leaving me in my capacity as Treasurer, in which I shall serve you as diligently as I served your predecessor. My duties in that office are what brought me here today, actually...according to the latest statements, whose details I shan't bore you with, we still have nearly six thousand pounds in the royal coffers, after all of the Conqueror's past expenses - four castles, including one here in London, and sellswords for the war, of course." He paused to let Edgar process all of that information.

"Is there anything you wish to direct your remaining funds to? More castles and royal residences perhaps, on the southern coast if you are concerned about William's blood-heirs, or on the Welsh border? We have enough to begin construction on two this year, by my estimation, unless you have other projects in mind." That the Norman army raised Edgar up as their king was not a development Aubrey had expected in the slightest. But all of his lands were in England, not Normandy, and this new King was content to let him keep them, so as long as that remained the case, De Vere was content to work with this newest in a series of new regimes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    Godwin Haroldson arrived to see the King.
    Godwin finds the King outside of Westminster Palace, practising archery with a few other men. Most of them are Normans. As Godwinson approaches, Edgar hands the bow off to a squire, and greets him in English.

"Godwin, is it? I've met your brother. You look just like him."

The King ran a hand through his hair. It was a little longer than how they wore it in Frankia, but shorter than the styles preferred by the Saxons.

"Do you hunt? I imagine you're quite good with a bow."

He gestured towards the targets, now filled with arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    After recovering from a fever, which Stigand blamed on 'ill humors', the archbishop wishes to see this new king. Ofcourse Stigand was dressed in richly clad robes.
    Stigand is admitted into the audience chamber of Westminster Palace. There the King sits upon the throne of his predecessor, raised above the floor upon a dais. He doesn't speak, but a herald calls the Archbishop forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Congratulations on your ascension to the throne of your forebears, King Edgar." De Vere greeted his unexpected new liege with practiced formality, bowing as he did so. "And thank you for leaving me in my capacity as Treasurer, in which I shall serve you as diligently as I served your predecessor. My duties in that office are what brought me here today, actually...according to the latest statements, whose details I shan't bore you with, we still have nearly six thousand pounds in the royal coffers, after all of the Conqueror's past expenses - four castles, including one here in London, and sellswords for the war, of course." He paused to let Edgar process all of that information.

"Is there anything you wish to direct your remaining funds to? More castles and royal residences perhaps, on the southern coast if you are concerned about William's blood-heirs, or on the Welsh border? We have enough to begin construction on two this year, by my estimation, unless you have other projects in mind." That the Norman army raised Edgar up as their king was not a development Aubrey had expected in the slightest. But all of his lands were in England, not Normandy, and this new King was content to let him keep them, so as long as that remained the case, De Vere was content to work with this newest in a series of new regimes.

"I can see why William appointed you."

Edgar remarked, sounding impressed with de Vere's knowledge of numbers. For whatever reason, they just didn't stick in his head. He avoided them like the plague.

"Urm... Well, I liked York. I was thinking of having a castle built there, as well as at Winchester. I don't like London's fumes, so I need other places to stay."

One of his women had told him that it was bad for the humours. She'd refused to come see him because of it.

"I leave it in your hands, De Vere. But I want the southern coast to be ready. Mortain isn't to be trusted."

These castles that the Normans built could be very useful for defending the coastline from the pretenders that would certainly spring up across the channel.

Edgar remarked, sounding impressed with de Vere's knowledge of numbers. For whatever reason, they just didn't stick in his head. He avoided them like the plague.

"Urm... Well, I liked York. I was thinking of having a castle built there, as well as at Winchester. I don't like London's fumes, so I need other places to stay."

One of his women had told him that it was bad for the humours. She'd refused to come see him because of it.

"I leave it in your hands, De Vere. But I want the southern coast to be ready. Mortain isn't to be trusted."

These castles that the Normans built could be very useful for defending the coastline from the pretenders that would certainly spring up across the channel.
    "Very well, my king, Winchester and York it is." Aubrey answered unctuously. This was a good plan - a new castle in Winchester would make the royal treasury, and by extension Aubrey's own home away from home, ever safer. "The Conqueror has built only one castle on the southern shore so far, at Hastings. But once this year's taxes have flowed in, I shall see to dotting more of the coast with castles. If you ever change your mind or wish to see funds diverted to a specific location, you need only call me to your residence or send word to the treasury at Winchester." He bowed once more and prepared to depart, unless the King had anything else to say to him.

Stigand is admitted into the audience chamber of Westminster Palace. There the King sits upon the throne of his predecessor, raised above the floor upon a dais. He doesn't speak, but a herald calls the Archbishop forward.
    The archbishop stepped forward just before the floor of the dais. The archbishop had been richly decorated of course, his hands were jewelled and a golden cross hung across his neck. To surmise, a very vain appearance for an aging man.

"Your Grace, firstly i must congratulate you on your rightful ascension to the royal throne." The archbishop decided to use the honeyed words while he bowed, trying to please the king.

By now Stigand's hair turned out completely grey, despite that there was a kind of look that resembled determination. Perhaps determination to return to the center of politics.

"If your grace is ever in need of advice or help, then Canterbury is glad to be of service if needed" At least this young king was a saxon, the archbishop had always preferred for a saxon on the throne, thus he was glad William was gone.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Edgar returns from a hunt to be greeted with the news of Bayeux's arrival. After washing and redressing, he makes his way into the audience chamber. The Bishop is sent inside to meet with him, and finds the King standing within, waiting expectantly.
    Odo of Bayeux stands in a noble tunic adorned with some crosses and white and gold. He seems unmaimed, after all, but gestures with his left hand while his right arm seems to just hang and rest at his side. He's newly shaved across the top of his head, giving him a slick bald look.

"King Edgar," the bishop greets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    The archbishop stepped forward just before the floor of the dais. The archbishop had been richly decorated of course, his hands were jewelled and a golden cross hung across his neck. To surmise, a very vain appearance for an aging man.

"Your Grace, firstly i must congratulate you on your rightful ascension to the royal throne." The archbishop decided to use the honeyed words while he bowed, trying to please the king.

By now Stigand's hair turned out completely grey, despite that there was a kind of look that resembled determination. Perhaps determination to return to the center of politics.

"If your grace is ever in need of advice or help, then Canterbury is glad to be of service if needed" At least this young king was a saxon, the archbishop had always preferred for a saxon on the throne, thus he was glad William was gone.

"Hmm. I'm sure you are."

The King appeared disinterested, finding more entertainment in studying his palms. Edgar had clearly not forgotten Stigand's previous attempts to 'help' him ascend the throne.

"What is it? Do you have need of me in some church matters?"

His tone suggested that he hoped that was not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Chai View Post
    Odo of Bayeux stands in a noble tunic adorned with some crosses and white and gold. He seems unmaimed, after all, but gestures with his left hand while his right arm seems to just hang and rest at his side. He's newly shaved across the top of his head, giving him a slick bald look.

"King Edgar," the bishop greets.

"Bishop Odo."

Edgar clasped his hands behind his back and straightened his shoulders. He appeared to be very young, sun darkened skin unblemished by any marks of war or pox. The way he carried himself suggested confidence, but it did not yet project the powerful aura of self belief that men of power often have. Sometimes he did not know how to act, or what to say. In this moment in particular, it seemed words would not come.

"How can I... Help you?"

He said, after a brief pause.

"Bishop Odo."

Edgar clasped his hands behind his back and straightened his shoulders. He appeared to be very young, sun darkened skin unblemished by any marks of war or pox. The way he carried himself suggested confidence, but it did not yet project the powerful aura of self belief that men of power often have. Sometimes he did not know how to act, or what to say. In this moment in particular, it seemed words would not come.

"How can I... Help you?"

He said, after a brief pause.
    "Great Lord, I am about to make a proposal towards thee, and I suggest you might consider them seriously rather than succumb to the 'jerk of the knee.'"

Odo bowed his head finally.

His arms were pulled from behind his back and folded across this torso. He exhaled audibly, preparing himself.

"Speak, then."

"Hmm. I'm sure you are."

The King appeared disinterested, finding more entertainment in studying his palms. Edgar had clearly not forgotten Stigand's previous attempts to 'help' him ascend the throne.

"What is it? Do you have need of me in some church matters?"

His tone suggested that he hoped that was not the case.
    "Now that peace has restored to this blessed realm, i see fit to tackle ecclesiastical issues at hand."

The archbishop deduced from the king he'd likely was not interested in these matters.

"York has unrightfully claimed authority over the sees of Lichfield and Dorcester, sees that belong to Canterbury" Stigand said so hesitatingly, perhaps he was too blunt or aggressive here in approach.

Both York and Canterbury had tried to set up Edgar before but the fact that York claimed authority over these sees irked him greatly, even creating a rivalry. York had to be undone somehow.

"May i ask for the opinion of the crown of this issue?" He'd of course hope that he would get the backing of the crown.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Godwin finds the King outside of Westminster Palace, practising archery with a few other men. Most of them are Normans. As Godwinson approaches, Edgar hands the bow off to a squire, and greets him in English.

"Godwin, is it? I've met your brother. You look just like him."

The King ran a hand through his hair. It was a little longer than how they wore it in Frankia, but shorter than the styles preferred by the Saxons.

"Do you hunt? I imagine you're quite good with a bow."

He gestured towards the targets, now filled with arrows.

"We are twins, Sire." What Godwin thought of this "Saxon" King, he wasn't entirely sure. "I'm fair enough with a bow, though far from a champion. I prefer a Dane axe."

Godwin wore his hair long, in the Saxon style, and a long, braided moustache graced his face. "May I?" He gestured to the bow.