Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any new factions for 2.3?

Default Re: Any new factions for 2.3?

Playtesting continues, and things are looking good. In particular, I'd like to highlight the efforts of QWE_asd in identifying the "NumEnemiesInBattle" trait condition as a contributor (possibly even THE main factor) in reinforcement battle CTDs. It's a condition that was used in MANY of our battle-related traits. Likewise, kudos to Genghis Skhan who took that information and re-wrote all the traits, so they now use the "BattleOdds" condition. Initial testing is promising, as I had a three stacks on one siege battle the other day (using the new code), and it did not CTD. So, fingers crossed, hopefully this removes a major source of post-battle instability. One more reason to get excited about v2.3!
    EBII Council

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    efforts of QWE_asd in identifying the "NumEnemiesInBattle" trait condition as a contributor (possibly even THE main factor) in reinforcement battle CTDs. It's a condition that was used in MANY of our battle-related traits. Likewise, kudos to Genghis Skhan who took that information and re-wrote all the traits, so they now use the "BattleOdds" condition.
    Kull, can I read about this problem somewhere? In my modding I'm also using this condition and it'd very valuable to learn in what circumstances it does a damage and how to fix it.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

From what QWE_asd was able to learn, battles with 3 or more enemy stacks causes CTDs a majority of the time. His testing established "99% certainty" that it was all due to that one condition. This was certainly news to us, and we haven't seen this raised as an issue anywhere else, but there you have it. We replaced the condition and hopefully that kills an old bug that has always seemed random and impossible to reproduce.

The only fix is to get rid of (i.e replace) the condition altogether, as there's no way to ensure that all battles will never involve too many stacks.
    EBII Council

badass7's Avatar Libertus

Anything that fixes crashes is good news for sure! Haven't experienced any myself actually, in fact it's probably the most stable mod I've played so far.

Out of curiously, are there any factions that haven gotten a particularly massive overhaul? Judging from the Twitter/FB pages there seems to be a fair few new eastern units as well as portraits, so I guess the East in general is getting a bit of a shake up?

Quote Originally Posted by badass7 View Post
    Anything that fixes crashes is good news for sure! Haven't experienced any myself actually, in fact it's probably the most stable mod I've played so far.

Out of curiously, are there any factions that haven gotten a particularly massive overhaul? Judging from the Twitter/FB pages there seems to be a fair few new eastern units as well as portraits, so I guess the East in general is getting a bit of a shake up?
    Units, portraits, voice mod, specialized ancillaries, new traits.....oh yeah, the east is definitely a whole new experience. Arevaci probably had the largest number of changes. It's a completely different faction - almost like living in that society, in that era. From cardboard faction to "wow!!" Hard to do it justice with explanations.
    EBII Council

In response to post 25 by Kull Where are the Arivaci ?. I can`t see them in the factions rosta.

Ther`s Areuakoi in NE Spain - is it them?

Quote Originally Posted by jim600 View Post
    In response to post 25 by Kull Where are the Arivaci ?. I can`t see them in the factions rosta.

Ther`s Areuakoi in NE Spain - is it them?
    Yes. I frequently violate "historical correctness" by referring to factions with their english usage names, like "Carthage" and yes, "Arevaci".
    EBII Council

Quote Originally Posted by jim600 View Post
    Perhaps this has been answered more than adequately elsewhere but are we getting 2 or 1 or none in the way of new factions. ?
    They are adding in 1 faction from total War Warhammer , You will have flying Gargoyles Hobbits & Trolls or w/e that game has for units

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12