Thread: Unable to mod variantmodels

Default Unable to mod variantmodels

It seems that for some reason that I cannot mod variantmodels files in any way. If I load a mod with a variantfiles added, even if I didn't edit them in any way, it will cause a CTD. How exactly do I get over this?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Unable to mod variantmodels

what tool are you using?

I'm using the standard Pack File Manager, though slightly out of date (it's outright impossible to modify any file with the most recent version).

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Do you have an example (simple) of what you want to do? I'm using PFM 1.5.9 and it works relatively well

So, sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to post my problem in an existing thread. Also , I have been looking for a while through existing thread to find an answer to this... if anyone has a post, tutorial and answer, please post. I can't find an answer.

This deals with the NTW equipment mesh.variant_part_mesh.

I have used Pro version of UU3D to save as ms3d, just slightly modified vanilla meshes in MS3D (push/pull vertices...stupid simple stuff), Looks as though meshes are still assigned to vertices, I looked at the Joint tab, SelAssigned on LeftHand, RightHand, Weapon1, Weapon2, Weapon3.

Anyway, when I go back to UU3D, and I try to save as ETW variant_part_mesh, I get the error:
    "Warning: Found unassigned vertices. All vertices must be assigned to a bone"

Has anyone come across this same error, and must i now go through all the models and verify that they are assigned to a bone? (as I said before it looks as if all meshes are assigned) I did not bring in any new meshes. So does MS3D lose all references to bone assignments?

I have modded ETW equipment, and I don't remember having this issue.

EDIT: SO I went through the list of equipment. Looks like everything still has it's bones assignments except the first item that is called "Reference <Mat:Mat0>". I don't see why, but is this needed in the equip mesh and does it have to be assigned to a bone?
    Last edited by Andromachos; September 05, 2015 at 04:16 PM.

So, I have done a little digging... I have tried to understand what is going wrong. But still no success. I updated my UU3D and the plug-ins for etw and ms3d.

I went back and tried to import and export ETW equip mesh, I have no issues with this like before. I try to save the ms3D back to the NTW variant_part_mesh and still get the same error.

I even looked at the Great War mod mesh.variant_part_mesh, and try the same workflow, then save as and get the same error.

I read the readme's for both etw and ms3d for some clues and i found this:
    "This plugin can export:

Variant Weighted Mesh Type 1 = unit files
    Variant Weighted Mesh Type 5 = equipment files

Rigid Model Type 3 = deployable files
    Rigid Model Type 4 = projectile files

Rigid Mesh Type 1
    Rigid Mesh Type 4

Animatable Rigid Model Type 4
    Rigid Model Animation Type 5
    Windows Model Type 5"
    So, is what I am seeing here telling me that these plug-ins can do everything except "variant_part_mesh"???

I am at a loss as to why this isn't working and how the Great mod team was even able to get their equipment in game. If anyone has any ideas whats going on I would appreciate it.

EDIT: So I am getting closer, if anyone is reading this... but still having issues with skeleton coming into equipment when I import NTW equipment into MS3D.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14326064
    Last edited by Andromachos; September 07, 2015 at 08:41 PM.