Thread: TotW 170 Christmas Contest: Fairytale of New York - SUBMISSIONS

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default TotW 170 Christmas Contest: Fairytale of New York - SUBMISSIONS

There are some rules changes for this week so please read them carefully!

Ladies and Gentleman I am honoured to present the 170th Tale of the Week competition, and with Christmas dawning we felt it was only right a special content should be ran instead of the normal one... with the winner receiving 2 WSCM points!

This is why this weeks Tale of the Week will be open for 2 weeks instead of the usual one, and the word limit will be 300 to 700 words. The story must have a Christmas theme, however to make it slightly more interesting the key words won't exactly be about Christmas...

Fairytale of New York

Keywords:
    War
    Heat
    Harvest
    Scared
    Toil

Rules and awards
    5 keywords that have to be used in the story (please place these words in bold so they can easily be seen by the moderators)
    - Word limitation of minimum 300 but maximum 700 words INCLUDING all titles, footnotes or any other part deemed part of the submission, in a spoiler
    - Deadline is Sunday 23rd December 2012
    - Minimum 3 submissions to start the competition
    - If you are a contestant you are honour bound to not read other contestants' writings until you have submitted yours.

Please note that all rules including word count and key words will be strictly enforced. Rule breakers will be disqualified from the vote.

Check your WORD COUNT here.
    Advertising

Contestants are not allowed to do direct advertisement of there story or asking for votes.

Example

Please vote for my story in ToTW.

Please vote for your favourite story. (allowed)
    Awards
    Each winning story will receive 2 points, if you compete in the other Writers' Study competitions this point will be combined with the ones you have won already won.

6 points - bronze medal
    12 points - silver medal
    24 points - golden medal

Creative Workshop Competitions
    << Picture of the Week | Unedited Screenshot of the Week | Graphics Competition | Tale of the Week >>
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; December 14, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Default Re: TotW 170 Christmas Contest: Fairytale of New York - SUBMISSIONS

Shanks I have tried the word counter but the link times me out, word gives the number at 685 can you double check for me please. Thanks Rex

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Fairytale of New York

Harry stood looking out of the living room window watching the snow fall on a beautiful winter’s morning. He loved the snow, in fact he couldn’t get enough of it, a year ago he had been in the heat of an Asian Christmas, this festive season for the first time in years he could celebrate yuletide with his family in New York.

Thinking about it, it was just like a fairytale, he could never have seen himself standing at the window, his Mom cooking the Turkey dinner, while his Dad shovelled snow from the pathway outside of the home in preparation for the horde of well meaning relatives to come.

Watching his Dad shovel the snow outside, Harry guiltily swallowed a lump in his throat, he should be doing that really, but these days with his lungs riddled with bacteria and the weakening of his body the Army Doctors had told Harry and his parents that he should take things easy until his physical state could recover.

When the War had broke out after the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbour, Harry like thousands of other young men had rushed to enlist, Harry being A1 fit and playing as a quarterback for his college whilst studying medicine was snapped up in an instant. Three months later he found himself fighting in the Philippines just in time to surrender to the Japanese on April 9th 1942. His sum total of combat experience amounted to a little over three weeks, and then he found himself a prisoner.

For over three years he had been a POW, it had been hell on earth, he had seen his comrades shot, bayoneted and treated with total inhumanity, just as he had. More through luck than anything else he had survived, he had lived through the death marches, and he had been forced to toil eighteen hours a day on farmland to bring in the harvest; and finally driven down mineshafts to dig out coal, the dust of which has almost destroyed his lungs.

When he had joined the army he had weighed in at an impressive 230 pounds, by the end of his time as a prisoner he weighed less than half of that, a man of six foot three reduced to an emaciated skeleton.

When he had left for the Army Barbara his beautiful girl had said she would wait no matter what, but when he had returned he had not wanted her to see him how he now looked. A part of him had hoped that she would have moved on, what would a gorgeous and clever girl want with a broken down man now anyhow?

His Mom had told him different though; Barbara unlike a lot of other girls had never had her head turned by a handsome face or a guy with a smart pick up line. She had even spent hours with his parents, the only way that she could still be close to Harry he guessed.

And today she was coming to the house, Harry had finally relented and said he would see her, in truth he was scared, what would she say? How would she react when she saw him? How would he feel when he saw her?

So he stood watching the window as a dark sedan pulled up outside the house and he watched transfixed as Barbara got out of the car and walked over to his Dad and gave him a hug, she had a great big beautiful smile on her face. Harry’s heart ached, would she still want him?

Nervously Harry backed away from the window and sat in the armchair with its high back pushed up against the window, he was hiding until the last possible moment. He heard the door open, soft steps coming towards the room, then the door opening quietly, soft brunette curls came into his vision first and then the delicate features of his girl, she smiled, as a tear ran down her left cheek, but she smiled when she spoke ‘so Mr quarterback can we get married now?’

Harry smiled.
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 14, 2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: added story

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

You scumbag you maggot, you cheap lazy - erm... OK, I'll just finish with my reservation

The Fairy Tale War of New York

It was the night before Christmas and nothing was moving and especially not the mouse, but then I had killed that annoying little bugger this morning – finally caught him with his sneaky little snout buried in my cheese and whacked him with a ruler. I did get little mouse brains on the cheese but extra protein I guess. Cheese and brains on crackers for tea tomorrow - way to celebrate Christmas! But heck, let me introduce myself, my name is Jack Frost and I am the last survivor of the New York Fairytale War. Ha! That surprised you? I bet you were told there were no survivors? Well it is a lie but then what can you expect from Disney, a company that peddles saccharine nonsense and dresses it up as the New Fairy Tales? Well sit down and let me tell you how this sorry New York Fairy Tale War began.

Autumn 2012, it should have been time for myself to be getting ready to make an appearance, the harvest moon was hanging heavily in the sky, dark orange and perched on the horizon brim-full of mischief, an augur of the darker nights to come when creatures of fairy tales traditionally crept into bedtime stories. All was not well this year however, and the trouble emanated from the Big Apple, itself all rotten to the core. Myself and Will o’ the Wisp were sent by the Big Guy, Santa Claus himself, to investigate and report back in time for him to do his thing at Christmas.

The trail took us to Times Square and the first inkling that all was not well; Cinderella and her Step-sisters wearing their tiniest dresses leaving little to the imagination, out on a bar crawl the sisters and Cinders well and truly drunk propping each other up – it must have gotten worse that night as they are locked up for solicitation but we know their drinks were spiked. It was not looking good and things went downhill from there, Will saw the twitter feed ratting on Goldilocks #Goldilocks_did_it – and that was her number up, finally caught for eating the Bears porridge. We raced as fast as we could to the Upper West Side to try and get her out but it was too late, the cops were all over the joint – as was what remained of Goldilocks. Papa Bear took out two of the cops before they shot him and now Mama and Baby are doing twenty to life of hard time for the murder of Goldilocks.

It was clear someone was taking us fairy tale folk down separating us out or setting us upon each other, next to go was Rapunzel, cutting her hair and declaring herself a militant lesbian; the Pied Piper got mugged and lost his pipes trying to get the rats in Brooklyn; Little Red just got plain lost in the hood. We knew we were on a downward spiral, our mystique no longer sacred as our powers diminished and we could no longer could scare or enchant the children. They had zombie-killer death match on PS3 and Xbox and no little girl dreams of kissing a frog to get her prince when she can get an iPhone app and dream of snogging Justin Bieber instead. They do not want some wizened old witch cackling “hubble-bubble, toil and trouble” over her cauldron unless she has a collectible doll, website and own hashtag these days, sadly no illustrated book can compete with a cartoon series.

Before we knew we were even at war, we had lost. Will got careless one night and was used to make some attractive mood lighting on a new development and I was on my own, no friends and no hope. So I headed south for the heat of Florida and a grubby little one-bed apartment waiting for the Big Guy to show up for his big day. I hope he does not expect too much – still at least we can have mouse brains to go with our cheese and crackers and the warm soda this year.

word count 688
    Last edited by Ybbon; December 17, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

I'm in.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Going to try my hand at this.

The last Crusade

The candles were all alight in the big chapel, emitting the heat needed to warm the thing. Young boys in white holding incense and more candles walked through the massive religious building where an important meeting was under way. The Pope himself had come, all the way from the Vatican, just to be at this event in Greece.

Several old and young priests had first held a big ceremony including the offering of a lamb on a marble altar. The Pope had watched with an evil grin as the men killed the scared little thing. But when the unorthodox ceremony was done and the leading priest got to the actual point of the meeting, the Pope slouched in his chair as if he had just toiled for three hours.

"Gentlemen," the priest began. "We are in a state of war. But not just a war, no, not at all. We are at war with Santa Claus." Several people reacted shocked, while a few boys started crying. They were taken away by clergymen quickly. "Please, silence, let me speak. The Bearded Devil from the North Pole has insulted us! Apparently, he likes Muslims more than us, at our own feast! You see, our inquisitors have gathered reports on the subject. It appears that Santa will no longer give the Greccan, Christian children as much as he used to, while the Muslim nations, particular the OPEC ones, will only get more presents! This is an outrage!"

The people cheered as the priest slammed his hand down on the table. They started chanting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!" Once more, the priest calmed the crowd down, and the Pope now took the stage.

"Loyal servants of God! Will we let Santa Claus do whatever he likes, or will we silence him?" He took out a small gun. "We need to kill the bastard. Preferably on the job. Heathens are the only ones who would not heed this call to arms. If you are no heathen, then buy a gun and prepare for Christmas eve. The bastard will be killed, and we will harvest the love of the people."

The meeting was over, and everyone left. By the evening of the 25th, believers all around the world had bought weapons. Some rich people had even supplied the big cities with anti-air cannons.

In the distance, a deep voice was heard near London. "HO-HO-HO," the voice boomed. "MEEEEEERRY CHRISTM-" Several cannons fired at once, the explosions shaking the very earth. It had begun, the battle for Christmas.
    Last edited by Adamat; December 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Hmm... Xmas theme. Poem or story? With no luck whatsoever with story, I shall try with... POEM!

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

If someone tells me what Toil means I'm in.

For my Angels

Information : I don't care if I win or lose this contest. Nor wish any piety for the poem. In May I was deployed on a diplomatic mission I wrote this on the last morning when I heard I needed to come home asap when I arrived my now wife was in the hospital land our 22 week year old baby had heart failures She died a couple hours after child birth. I was searching one of my boxes of poems for inspiration in this contest when I found the first part of this poem after hours of thinking and talking about it with my brother I decided to finished the poem, I just shown this to my wife out of gratitude of her strength the last months. Thank you for reading.

Wake me up cause I'm dreaming these wonderful eyes withhold me from breathing, Like your smile does in the morning what sight is so appealing ? A smile so bright it could heat my heart trough the night, her eyes so blue the sky wishes it was so too, let me be the wind blowing trough your hair, let me be the tears rolling over your cheeks when your scared, Your brother lost in combat and your husband off to battle for promotion trough the ranks. We find ourself separated trough war Something tough for us to share. Your the flower I harvest every morning sending you in this letter I've posted this morning. Now with our little child..

Now it’s 7 months later since the first part was written, Christmas on the doorstep and our hearts damaged for the fate of our baby, Who never made it trough the first night because of heart failure. We had a hard year with the loss of our little lady. But know our little angel guards of from the sky. Our marriage was the light in the tunnel with the eye on the time to come, look at you know my angel declaring your love in Dutch to me. The toil and effort put into that it makes my heart melt for you are my reason that Christmas is special.
    Both of you are my angels and I will continue to love you for ever.

Last edited by General Brewster; December 15, 2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Posted submission

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Reserved, I'll actually try and get my submission in this time

I did it! 697 words.

Bright lights illuminated the looming, concrete structures that dominated the cityscape. Light, wet snow fell gently from the night sky, touching the cold pavement and quickly melting. A girl walked cheerfully along the sidewalk, skipping past the multitude of last minute holiday shoppers. Her velvety, red dress jumped up and down as she softly hummed a familiar tune. She looked up at the sky, dotted with bright stars, and smiled.

The girl walked further until she reached a department store with a large, rosy star. She decided, on a whim, to venture into the strange place and look around. When she opened the heavy, glass door a wave of heat flowed over her and warmed her frigid body. She skipped past the racks of clothing, shoes, and perfumes with flushed cheeks and a face filled with wonder and excitement. She recognized the round man her father had described to her just a few nights before. “Now, don’t be scared sweetheart, because when you meet him, he’ll ask you to sit on his lap. Then, he’ll ask you what you want more than anything in the world, and you tell him all of the wonderful things you’ve told me, and he’ll bring them to you!” her father had said.

She peered beyond the line of eager children and tired parents waiting to see the round man with the silly white beard. He beamed jovially at the children sitting in his lap, holding them there with care and a deep sense of compassion. The man caught the little girl’s gaze and beckoned for her to come over to him, waving his gloved hand gently. She looked down, grinning slightly, and started shuffling toward him. When she finally reached Santa Claus, he picked her up and placed her on his lap.

“Now, little girl, what’s your name?” he asked in a deep and husky, yet somehow comforting, voice.

“Rose…” the girl replied shyly.

“Rose! What a beautiful name! Now Rose, what would you like for Christmas?” he asked.

“I want my daddy…”

A man raced through the crowd, desperately crying for his little girl. He pushed and shoved past onlookers as he sprinted toward Rockefeller Center. He had been ice-skating with his daughter there, and when taking of his skates, he had lost sight of her. She had been sitting right by his side and, having taken off her own skates, was looking innocently at the tall, gray skyscrapers. He turned to return the rented skates, and when he looked back, she had vanished. He had been aimlessly wandering the city for hours searching for her when he decided he would return to Rockefeller Center. The man had already lost his beloved wife in a car accident just two years before when he was at war in Iraq. It happened at Christmas time, and he had been unable to make it home for the holidays. The event transformed his life; Christmas time forever became a toil. He was not about to lose his daughter.

Beads of sweat poured down the man’s face as he harvested all the strength he had left in his body to battle his way through the crowd. His heavy boots pounded fiercely on the pavement as he crossed busy intersections, nearly being crushed by several taxi cabs. The man shed his heavy overcoat as he ran, tossing it on the sidewalk. He focused his sharp, blue eyes ahead of him. Finally, after what seemed like years, he saw the bright and colorful glow of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. He had made it.

When he finally arrived at the ice-skating rink, he noticed Santa Claus standing under the large, regal tree. The round man was holding a little girl in a velvety, red dress and painstakingly looking around the ice skating rink. He dashed across the rink toward Santa Claus. The girl saw her father approaching and cried out in overwhelming joy and relief. The round man carefully handed the girl to her father. He watched as the girl’s father hugged Rose with pure love and compassion. “Merry Christmas Rose…” he said, before disappearing into the night.

Last edited by Audacia; December 23, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Reserved. After a two week break for finals I'm back and better than ever.

EDIT: After much editing and trimming (I was at 773 words, holy moly), here is my horrible attempt at poetry.

WC: 700 Words EXACTLY

Twas the night before Christmas
    and all through the house
    mirth and joy could be found
    in Ebenezer Scrooge's abode, from man and mouse.

For his life had been changed
    that fateful night many years ago
    and now good deeds and happy thoughts
    had replaced his monstrous ego.

With the last of his friends gone
    and the candles put out
    Scrooge gave a great yawn
    for he'd soon be asleep, no doubt.

But as he laid down in bed
    and curled underneath blanket and sheet
    he felt an unnatural chill
    that no heat could defeat.

For the Ghost of Christmas Future
    his hand pale and robes dark
    had entered his bed chamber once more
    without sound or remark.

Mystery and gloom filled the air
    for the uncertainty of the future this Spirit did define;
    it was enough to make the cheerful Scrooge pale
    scared
    of the chill down his spine.

"Dear Spirit of the Future, why have you come?
    I am not the man I was!
    Surely you have come to see my new life;
    yes, that must be the cause!"

The Spirit remained muted, but gestured not so
    leaving Scrooge most upset;
    for he had taken the challenge of being a better man
    and without question the challenge had been met.

"Then I ask once more, why have you come?
    My employees no longer toil as Bob Cratchit once did;
    philanthropy and charity mark my work
    every person can attest, man, woman, and kid."

The air remained silent; the Ghost move not,
    however Scrooge could feel the world move around him
    for no longer was he safe and sound in his bed
    nor his vision no longer dim.

The streets of Londen now surrounded Old Ebenezer
    but they were not the streets he knew
    tall buildings and brights signs covered the skyline
    and carriages without horses passed his view.

The Specter, without sound, led him into a shop
    which dwarfed any abode of his time
    where two businessmen were watching with glee
    as the last minute rush reached its prime.

"Next year we must start the holiday sales sooner,
    so that our accounts will burst at the seams!"
    "And more commercials are needed, so that instill in all
    that artificial things are their wants and dreams."

"Some will think us greedy, like that man Ebenezer Scrooge
    but why would it matter when everyone is content?
    Their money we will have, they our insignificant trinkets
    just so long as our profits reach the highest percent."

Ebenezer listened a little while longer
    then asked "What's this?", not expecting an answer
    for he had remembered the silence of his ghastly companion
    and his assumption was right; the Spirit was stoic as ever.

"Where's the joy and the giving, the time spent together?
    It has been replaced by superficial wants and keeping up with your neighbor.
    This is not the Christmas that I celebrate, nor let come to pass,
    so what work must I do? How must I labor?"

"I can instill the good teachings the Three Spirits have given me
    in all that I meet, in addition to my goodwill;
    but surely, good Spirit, there is hope for the future;
    anyone who the joy of Christmas does fill."

The folds of the Spirit's robes affirmed Scrooge's query
    and once again the world changed before him;
    a desolate barren field no harvest would bless
    now surrounded Ebenezer, a sight truly dim.

But before old Scrooge could question his guide
    and ask how this provided the answer he sought
    the sound of carols and bagpipes filled his ears
    revealing that their journey was not all for naught.

For though the trenches of war riddle the landscape
    filling the air with pain and despair,
    men from all sides, weary of battle,
    agreed that tonight they should spare.

This scene brought a tear to Ebenezer's eye
    as the Phantom transported him back to his bed.
    A smile appeared on Scrooge's face;
    hope filled him now; fear had long fled.

"There is hope for the future, and I can play a part
    in seeing that the meaning of Christmas remains the same,
    but answer me, great Spirit, one final question;
    how did those men know my name?"
    Last edited by Confederate Jeb; December 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Reserved

Toil: hard work and labour or battle and strife.

Dictionary you've done it again

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Citizen

Blog Entries

Just to remind you all about this.

You have one more week, and get entering if you haven't already.

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

It's a joy to be participating again after such a long time! I feel bad about my absence from the study. That's why I see this as a form of appologise and hope for the future

All I want for Christmas...

Once upon a time, there was a little boy named Ben. Living in a sweet and nice country, populated with the kindest of people, he possessed all one could long for. Every day he went to school, learning diligently about those things big people like to tell. Reading, writing, he liked doing all of it. But most of all, he loved history.

Who, as a boy, would not like to hear stories about the great deeds and adventures of men in eras long bygone? Stories of valour, love and the toil of war? From the blazing heat of the Arabian desert where brave knights fought under the Holy Cross to the peaceful pastures of Oxfordshire where the farmers happily harvested their wheat, he drank up everything he read or heard and stored it carefully in his young heart.

In these years he used to write a lot himself. Every night, he came together with some friends that shared his passion for telling the tales of the past on a square in the middle of their little town. There they sat for hours, under the old and knotty branches of the oak that had guarded the place since time immemorial. They exchanged their stories, laughed and were as happy as one can be. It seemed like these golden times would never end; not until they became wise and mature and started their studies at a vague and remote place called university.

Ben thought that this was the best that could have happened to him. Happily, he went there, learning more and more about the wonderful world that we use to call history. As the weeks passed by, though, his old friends under the ancient oak saw less and less of him. While they continued their merry meetings, Ben was consumed by towering piles of books and assignments that seemed to eat all of his time. He thought that he would be happy when he spent all of his time learning for his exams, that the best one could get would be a high grade for one of these.

But at one of these afternoons, he felt more miserable than he had ever felt in his whole young life. The sky was dark, and his heart was yearning for the kindness and warmth of a good friend. He hadn’t written a story for weeks, hadn’t seen his friends for months.

At that moment, he jumped from his chair and cowered in a corner, scared to death by the shining and large shape of an old man who had suddenly appeared in his small room. The man came closer, smiled and offered a hand to help him on his feet again.

Shivering, but somehow knowing that he need not fear this strange creature, Ben asked: ‘S-sir, who... who are you?’

The man’s large belly started shaking and he had to grasp the table in order not to fall because of the great laughter that had come over him. A loud ‘Ho, Ho, Ho!’ filled the air until he finally managed to speak: ‘My poor lad, don’t you know? I am father Christmas! I am here to enlighten the darkness, to bring joy to those drowning in misery. And you, Ben, certainly need me!’

Ben’s eyes started to shine as he recalled the old stories they had talked about as children. ‘Sir, what do you think I should do to find happiness again?’

Father Christmas sat down, and with his warm, deep voice said: ‘Remember where your heart truly lies, Ben. Is it in these books, the paper you are writing on or the vague idea of a mark they give you? Is that what you came here for? No, my little friend. You came here for history, for the joy of telling the tales of the past! Well, do so and be happy again!’

And thus he left, leaving a new Ben there in his room. From that moment on, Ben would go to the little village in Oxfordshire at least once a week, meeting his old friends and making joy as they told their tales. And so he lived happily, ever after.
    Last edited by Maurits; December 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Citizen

Blog Entries

Come on guys you only have a little time left.

Citizen

Blog Entries

This is the last day, so if you haven't already submitted your piece you'll be on Santa's naughty list.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Sorry for not submitting my tale this week ... I planned to write it during the weekend, but something came up and I didn't have any time to do it.
    Next week!

Citizen

Blog Entries

No worries mate, there is always next week's one.

Closed.