Thread: A question regarding Guilds, and having them effect a faction's global recruitment

Default A question regarding Guilds, and having them effect a faction's global recruitment

My question is without having delved into the file of Guilds, but having had seen how it generally works (A point system you earn or lose depending on actions the player takes). I know they can effect things globally - the higher class horsebreeding guilds give extra experience to your cavalry, I think. I also know they can recruit units, and that we can allow only one guild to exist in the entire world, or only one in a single faction. Rather than ask my question first it might be best to explain what I want to do.

I want to represent the change of Fatimid/Ayyubid Egyptian armies to Mameluk armies with a guild. The initial roster of Egypt would be Fatimid-Ayyubid and would either not be reliant on any guild hall (or would be reliant on an already existing one located in Cairo). When a certain date comes around, or when certain requirements are met like with any other guild, the player or AI is offered a 'Mameluk' Guild. If they refuse it, nothing happens and they continue with the Fatimid/Ayyubid roster.

If they accept it, then they lose access to their Fatimid/Ayyubid Roster, and gain access to a Mameluk roster.

In a summarized version, I'd like for Egypt to have a small native roster, and have their Ayyubid/Fatimid units and Mameluk units be reliant on a guild hall. I want only one such "Dynastic" Guild hall to be available at once (Not two, as that makes it not work), and have it effect all settlements of the faction, not just the city with the guild hall. I want to know if it's possible to do this with the guilds in the game, basically taking what works with Crusader Order Guildhalls or Hashashin Guild halls, and apply it on a faction-wide level.

Now, it might sound impossible, and it may well be, but these are the things I'm wondering in relation to the guild text file:
    • Is it possible to have a guild effect a faction's global recruitment roster, like it can add experience points to all cavalry recruited by the faction? The entry would either be in the EDB file [Something like the 'and _______' entry for hidden_resources, except in place of a hidden_resource, have it be a guild.] or the Guild text file [I do not know what it would be, but likely related to the recruitment of Hashashin, except globally for the faction]

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Re: A question regarding Guilds, and having them effect a faction's global recruitment

You can simply use recruitment faction capabilites

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Default Re: A question regarding Guilds, and having them effect a faction's global recruitment

I can, but I'd prefer to give the player a choice of which they take. Am I understanding you correctly though? Do you mean something other than just the typical way of recruiting for a faction?

If for example, I make it simply a reform based on a certain date, that forces it on the player. If I choose to make it related to a building and effect only that settlement, it lets them mix and match the armies.

I'm trying to find a way to make it so their choice effects the entire faction, and can be made for Ayyubids with units XYZ, or Mameluks with units XYZ.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I think you are referring to something like this as the global effect:

This is done by this line:
    faction_capability
    {
    heavy_cavalry_bonus bonus 1

While you can add bonuses to troop and agent types this way, I think you need to take a different approach for what you want to do.

First created a building, call it a guild if you want but dont add it to the guilds list so you dont have to mess with the 1 guild limit, or go into the guilds file and edit it so you can have more than one.

Then create a new event to call the building, and to monitor if it is contstructed via the campaign script.

Then go into your EDB file and add a line like this one from RTW:
    recruit "roman archer auxillia" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms

If you want units to disappear after the building then add:
    recruit "roman archer" 0 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms

Note that I havent tried this but if I was going to try it this is how I would do it. It may or may not work as I have no idea if the M2TW EDB file can trigger off events as the RTW file can.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Ah ok I thin I see what you mean now. I'd develop a little show-me script that sets an event counter, then use requirements for the recruit pools

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Several things to help to do that

To forbid to recruit an unit before an event
    Code:
                    recruit_pool "Archer Militia"  1   0.7   4  0  requires factions { england, bourgogne, } and event_counter knights_appear 1
    First you can control when events appear or no
    To forbid to recruit an unit After an event
    Code:
                    recruit_pool "Archer Militia"  1   0.7   4  0  requires factions { england, bourgogne, } and not event_counter knights_appear 1
    code
    event

For controlling what guild will be avalaible you can use the model of chapters
    (in export_descr_guilds.txt)

Code:
    Guild templars_chapter_house
        building guild_templars_chapter_house
        exclude st_johns_chapter_house
        levels  100 250 500
    For the faction recruitment ability well it is simply using what has been said here (I used that in the Orders mod)
    the exemple here is:
    Code:
            st_johns_hq city  requires factions { hungary, poland, papal_states, milan, sicily, venice, } and event_counter knights_appear 1
            {
                capability
                {
                    recruit_pool "Knights Hospitaller"  1   0.7   6  0  requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, poland, hungary, } 
                    recruit_pool "Dismounted Knights Hospitaller"  1   0.7   6  0  requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, poland, hungary, } 
                    population_health_bonus bonus 3
                }
                faction_capability
                {
                    recruit_pool "Knights Hospitaller"  1   0.5   4  0  requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, poland, hungary, } 
                    recruit_pool "Dismounted Knights Hospitaller"  1   0.5   4  0  requires factions { milan, venice, papal_states, sicily, poland, hungary, } 
                }
                material stone
                construction  1 
                cost  3000 
                settlement_min huge_city
                upgrades
    with all that, you can do what you wanted to do
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

Thanks guys. I think I get the jist of the other way I should be going about it. Instead of an event allowing the creation of a guild (The Mamluk_Dynasty), it's the creation of a guild making the historic event, and tying recruitment in any building to that. It sounds like it's definitely possible, and while I do accept that something might come up, it sounds like it isn't likely to, and well, this opens up a world of possibilities.

Thank you all for posting, this is excellent.
    Last edited by Ahiga; May 31, 2007 at 11:58 PM.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Let us know if you get it worked out right.