Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Influencial Person

General_Curtis_LeMay's Avatar Civitate

Default Most Influencial Person

Alrighty then, I have a question, Aside from any and all religion founders (Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Confusious) who do you think had the greatest efect on all of history?

At what point do you believe the history of earth was forever and totaly changed?

I realize that there are many very important events that changes history such as the 95 thesis, teh American and French revolution, the Russian revolution, Alexander's campagne, ect, but I ask you, what event had teh MOST profaund effect?

I am not saying that other events were unimportant, or that these religious leaders didn't have a huge impact, au contre, I think that religious leaders have had the greatest effect on history, by tthat debate belongs in ethos, morales.

I personaly believe that the event that forever changed the history of mankind with teh greatest significance was the American Revolution, for in this conflict, was the seed that rose out and became democracy for all nations to enjoy. I believe that every other major conflict of the 29th, 20th, and even 21st centuries were extensions of the struggle between democracy and autocracy.

I believe that thios event more tahn anything else changed the world for by it, mankind said "We have rights, and we will fight for them" and any strugle that occured before this was autocrat on autocrat, or oligarchy on oligarchy. I believe the defining moment of history was when we said, men are not cattle but higher beings and we must be treated with respects and have our god given rights assured to us.
    Last edited by General_Curtis_LeMay; April 18, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    -Edmound Berke

"I think therefore I am"
    -Rene Descartes

"I now enter into the sunset of my life. I know that for America, there will always be a bright horizon ahead."
    "I have not yet begun to fight"
    John J. Andres

Default Re: Most Influencial Person

There was no such a moment, rather humanistic philosophy slowly evolved over time.
    Nor was it the work of one person.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Constantine I?

I would have to say Romulus, he founded the Roman Republic.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Hmm…

I nominate Aristophanes of Athens – A man who single-handedly managed string together the courses kind of base humor with such elegance that his plays are still preformed and studied… I tip my hat to the man who can make *hit jokes survive for 2500 years and he didn’t massacre a single city to do it…
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

His name is Leslie.

If you've never heard of him then that's proof of his influence...
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Can I borrow your crystal ball so I can see the conflict in the 29th century too?

Classic.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I would say Alexander the Great. The modern culture was basically built up by him. Without his conquer, Greek would just another barbarian under modern eyes.

By the way, Confusious was not religion leader. His role was more similar as Socrates in Greece, a great idealist and teacher. Confusious personally did not like religion (although he did say we must respect our anciestors).

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

hellheaven1987

While I freely admit my post was not serious; I have to vehemently disagree on Alexander. What exactly did he do besides kill a lot of people and depose the Achaemenid dynasty as ruler(s) of Persia?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Let's ask Michael Hart!

According to him, it's...Mohammad!

Personally, I'm inclined to choose the anonymous creator of the wheel
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Plato. After all, there hasn't been one new philosophical or political idea (names change and the ideas are codified, but the basic ideology have always been around).

Nothing new since Plato.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Angmar_nite's Avatar Domesticus
    Spearheading the 57000 dollar average salary invasion!!!!!!! CHINA WILL DOMINATE YOU ALL!!!!

Abraham
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    I guess in modern russia, tank builds you.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    hellheaven1987

While I freely admit my post was not serious; I have to vehemently disagree on Alexander. What exactly did he do besides kill a lot of people and depose the Achaemenid dynasty as ruler(s) of Persia?
    Alexander's conquer created a environment for the spread of hellenistic culture, which is the base of today's Western culture. If he did not destory Achaemenid, the Greek culture would never spread out and Latin would be very different today. Greek culture would just become another ancient study and definately today we would live in a Persian-Latin culture instead Hellenistic.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster View Post
    Let's ask Michael Hart!

According to him, it's...Mohammad!

Personally, I'm inclined to choose the anonymous creator of the wheel
    If by Micheal Hart's list and in according to the OP, then no religious founder should be included so it must be Paul (unless of course one accepts the Paul founded Christianity, not Jesus).

Well for me it's that dude who created/found the number 0. This simple discovery has it effects until now.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; April 19, 2007 at 12:01 AM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Charles Darwin.

His research is one of the foundations of atheism.He essentially helped to create his own humanistic religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimexander the Mighty View Post
    I would have to say Romulus, he founded the Roman Republic.
    Gee, I didn't know Romulus founded the Roman Republic... THAT'S new...

Personally, I'd see it this way. First, I figure out what civilisation is hegemonic now: the European one (you can't say USA isn't European in basis, can you?). Then you see what civilisation was its basis: the Greek one. Who was the most influential Greek? Alexander. He was the author of its hegemony, of its peak. So, my maths say Alexander.
    But of course, other points of view generate completely different answers.

EDIT:
    Charles Darwin.

His research is one of the foundations of atheism.He essentially helped to create his own humanistic religion.
    For ****'s sake, how does the theory of man derived from monkey helps one notice there is no God!?
    Last edited by iudas; April 19, 2007 at 04:22 AM.

Sadreddine's Avatar Lost in a Paradise Lost

If we exclude founders of religions...

I´ll say thrice damned Temujin, also known as Genghis Khan, has been the most influental individual in history. Aristotle (good ol' master) and Ibn Rushd (the gateway to european Rennaissance) would be top notch too. Ahh...too difficult to pick one with certainty...
    Struggling by the Pen since February 2007.

َاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ

Pfft...It's OBVIOUSLY Columbus.

I'm glad we've settled this.

I would say Churchill was pretty influental without him the britts may have given up instead of fighting on the same with Stalin. Franklin D Roosvelt ended the great depression in the Usa and it was crucial for the war effort so basically all the allied leaders during WW2
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

id have to say ghengis khan too, supposedly 1 in 6 people can trace their acnestry back to him (unlikely, though) and he could and would've commanded the mongol hordes all the way to the western european coast if he hadn't of died. silly ghengis.

oh, but more recently (say 20th/21st century) id say elvis presley. he showed those dag-blasted yung'uns that they didn't have to do everything their 'rents told em, and paved the way for rock n roll culture and good ol' fashioned PARTYING DOWN

....me one all of you zero

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast