Thread: Agents on the mod

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Default Agents on the mod

This thread is for discussing about the agents that will be included in the mod, or which you think that should be included.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Default Re: Agents on the mod

Agents as in Spy, merchant etc.?
    We should at least keep some kind of merchant, as people always has been trading.
    EDIT: Just read the viking princesses thread again. You're right. Merchants were individuals mostly important in northern Italy in the medieval times.
    Priests should also be in the game, but the viking didn't really preach Odin and Thor to other people, so how do we avoid the whole north getting baptized in a hurry?
    Last edited by Athokas; March 11, 2007 at 08:07 AM.

mocker's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Athokas View Post
    Agents as in Spy, merchant etc.?
    We should at least keep some kind of merchant, as people always has been trading.
    EDIT: Just read the viking princesses thread again. You're right. Merchants were individuals mostly important in northern Italy in the medieval times.
    Priests should also be in the game, but the viking didn't really preach Odin and Thor to other people, so how do we avoid the whole north getting baptized in a hurry?
    Increase the effect of pagan shrines. Converting a pagan region should be almost impossible without churches and such.

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

I think that only Christian factions will have preists

but the list should go

-Diplomat
    -Preist
    -Princess
    -Spy
    -Assasin

that's it... Merchants are pointless IMHO.

Well, first of all let's consider what Agents there are:

(Trainable)
    - Diplomat
    - Princess
    - Spy
    - Assassin
    - Merchant
    - Priest/Imam

(Untrainable/AI Controlled)
    - Inquisitor
    - Heretic
    - Witch

My take: Diplomats, Spies and Assassins are fine (Assassins were rare in some parts of our era, but common in others) Princesses have been discussed; I think we should have them, but possibly not appropriate for all factions/cultures, we'll need to confirm this on a per-faction basis. Priests are good for Christian factions (Get bonuses from better religious structures etc.) Pagan priest equivalent would be possible I'm sure, but I'll leave it to the Norse and Eastern people to judge whether they're appropriate. Merchants, as I said in the other thread do not seem appropriate to this time as far as I know (remember they do not represent trade itself, which of course happened, but advanced, aggressive merchant venturing and proto-colonialism) As discussed, it may be possible to use the Merchant for some other unit type, but I don't know how far this can be taken (looking at descr_characters it does seem like you could remove the "acquire" ability from Merchants, and maybe give them new abilities through traits etc.) I was thinking maybe some kind of "Explorer" character for the Norse, but I don't how much they would do etc.

Untrainable agents I don't know about. Inquisitors aren't appropriate as the Inquisition does not yet exist. Heretics and Witches might be used for something, but I don't yet understand exactly how they spawn and whether you could make them trainable etc. for some purpose.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Hmm... is it possible to have witches roaming the countryside, and inspire pagan faith as well as troubling christians? They should not be player-controlled, and could perhaps be the somewhat equivalent of priests.

They'd spawn as in vanilla, and be kind of random. Higher spawn rate in pagan territory?

This means witches would be tolerated in pagan regions, while persecuted in christian. Wouldn't this add a nice touch to the game?

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

Definitely not inquisitor. Heresy is also totally unnecesary. Heresy comes from the east after death of Basil II in 1025, and spreads in Europe during late 11th century(cathar heresy), witches also are unnecesary. Paganism is enough, and is substitute for heresy in time of the mod - early middle age on west.
    Why we dig up the past? To understand it.

Is it possible to hire agent characters, like mercenaries? I always thought that it would be more fun (and realistic?) to hire experienced assassins, then just training unskilled thugs who need to sharpen their blades on something insignificant first before they can kill anything worthwhile.

Edit:If this makes them too powerful, then maybe they could disappear after a successful kill?
    Last edited by Aatu; March 12, 2007 at 06:43 AM.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Don't witches kinda add to pagan conversion though? I mean, having a witch who can cook you potions and cure your illnesses should have some effect on religion. But witches should still not be trainable - maybe they could spawn by themselves if you have enough shrines and stuff. And what about those Finnish tribes, they should have shamans and stuff, right? Those shouldn't be controllable either, but still have an effect on the people.

EDIT: I just realized this is just what Mocker said earlier. Oh well
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

The more witches the more heretic executions, and those didn't take that much place until the 15. century

I think it is inappropriate for the norse faction to have priest equilantes. The north never had a traveling missionaries like the christians and muslims. Marriage etc. did however play a big role in norse communities. Because it binded families by blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Athokas View Post
    The more witches the more heretic executions, and those didn't take that much place until the 15. century
    Only if witches are persecuted.