Thread: Newb: Best EU to Start Off With

Legio XX Valeria Victrix's Avatar Great Scott!

Default Newb: Best EU to Start Off With

As a newb to the EU series, which one would you say is the best overall? Which would be best for a new player to start with?

I've looked at the websites and Wikis and I'm intrigued. They look pretty good.

"For what is the life of a man, if it is not interwoven with the life of former generations by a sense of history?" - Cicero

Spart's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Newb: Best EU to Start Off With

Although I haven't played EU2 very much, I'd say go for 3. Usually Paradox makes their games better and better all the time (at least when comparing HoI 1 and 2). EU3 is a lot prettier than it's predecessor, if that matters. Interface is more polished and might be easier for a starter. There are some things I miss from 2, such as automated merchants, but they just might add these in some patch. Music in 3 isn't that authentic, but it's still great. There are also great mods on their way.

I understand that for an old EU-veteran this new game can be painful, put since you're new, there's no need for nostalgy. Go for it.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

Buy the third one if you got money. Otherwise the second one is cheap now and you can buy it and try, if you like it you can buy the third one later. From what I've seen the difference isn't so big betweem them.

"Arrows with fire fly through the air touching houses and shields,
    The Vikings can feel victory is near as the enemy headlessly flees"

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

If you want something that vaguely replicates history - EU2 is the one to go for. It has more of a 'feel.' If you want something which makes no attempt to replicate specific historical actions, but features a good understanding of historical events, then EU3 is the one to go for.

Narakir's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    If you want something that vaguely replicates history - EU2 is the one to go for.
    Especialy with the mod AGCEEP.

It's good to precise that EU 2 can be realy disturbing sometimes because of it's lack flexibility regarding history like : You play spain and got a bankrup near 1600 just because they had it, or as Austrian you inherit automaticly Flanders and Hungary, you can't expand much with Japan beacause you have Sengoku Jidai events, you play Timuruids your empire will fall whatever you do, ect... it's more an history simulator. In EU 3 you can pick each country at every date possible and when it starts it's up to you to change history in a non-deterministic way. But EU 2 also have the advantages of treaching you more things about history and to be a more complete/fixed product.
    "They do not possess the true fire. They speak of creation and they boast of their potential but they do not create anything beyond the mundane. Their imagination is poor, obsessed with the small details. A true Dreamer, I say, creates a grand scheme and then concentrates on the details. Starting with the details is for the ants of the imagination - the small insects who aspire only to be fed.”

Nihl Xander, Godsmen Engineer - Planescape Torment