Thread: The reason behind AI being stupid: Destroyed Faction bug.

Default The reason behind AI being stupid: Destroyed Faction bug.

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed that AI considers the destroyed factions as living factions and acts as if those factions are your enemy. This causes AI less likely to be ally with you and also act more hostile against you. This bug may seem like a small issue but after destroying two or three factions AI really start go mad and acting stupidly aggressive. I remember many cases in which AI stupidly attacks me by blockading my port and offering a ceasefire the next turn and accept to be my vassal if I make a counter offer. Which I believe is directly relevant to destroyed factions bug.

Also Your Faction Leader supposed to get the " FactionKiller " trait but he doesnt. Smilarly the kids doesnt recieve the " FathersLegacy" trait as well ( see export_descr_character traits). This is not a big issue, since it can be handled by give_trait cheat. I just pointed this one out just to make it more convincing. Secondly, I remember my leader getting the FactionKiller trait in the previous versions therefore I believe this bug is directly related to the version updates and can be handled by editing few lines in one of the descr files.

To sum up, I believe this bug is the main reason that the AI acts stupidly and kindly asking for community help as this might be handled with little effort and results in a much more enjoyable AI experience.

PS: Many Thanks to ToNerdIsToHuman as his solution for diplomacy fix is really usefull in the early stages of the game.

Have fun playing M2TW
    Thanks,

Default Re: The reason behind AI being stupid: Destroyed Faction bug.

Note: This bug only works if an enemy faction is destroyed. So your gameplay will not be effected in case a neutral faction is destroyed.

Note 2 : Also you cant make alliance with the former ally of the destroyed factions but if you make them your vassal. you kinda make peace with the destroyed faction as well and therefore the effects of the bug is somehow neutralised.

I'm not sure this is actually a bug. CA may have wanted the enemy factions you destroy (or at least, allow to be destroyed) to continue affecting your diplomacy after they're dead. E.g. you can't just make an alliance with some faction by killing off all their allies.

But at any rate, most mods consider having any sort of diplomatic stance with dead factions to be a bug. It's not difficult to address this with conventional scripting - just test if the faction is alive, for example by testing that they have a faction leader using

Code:
    I_FactionLeaderAttribute Command < 999
    and set all of their diplomatic standings to neutral if they're dead by using

Code:
    console_command diplomatic_stance faction_a faction_b neutral
    Last edited by Callistonian; January 20, 2024 at 07:19 PM.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

This is a descr_campaign_ai_db issue which I've fixed in my CAI TrueGeneral CamPAIN. Dead factions are stayed in calculations. You have to nullify invade_priority for dead factions. This can't be done directly, there's no operators and conditions in that file to match it. But some parameters such as military balance could help.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

For the former this sounds like something to bring up to EOP folks if it's not conveniently remediated with the base game files. For the latter perhaps a fix if not already included could bundle with bare geomod?
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You get the fix, I fit it in.