Thread: Vanilla MW2 crashing repeatedly. Unknown Issue

Default Vanilla MW2 crashing repeatedly. Unknown Issue

I have played MW2 a lot and have solved lots of issues with it over the years. I got a new computer and installed mw2 on it. The game loads fine but crashes under a range of circumstances (end turn, clicking a box away, for no apparent reason at all). I have tried tons of fixes already and still have the issue. Here are some of what I've tried: Installing steam (and mw2) on a new partition of the drive, verifying the integrity of the files, turning off antivirus (I've turned off basically all built in windows security measures), turning off UAC, running in compatibility mode, and probably more i've forgotten about. My main hypothesis is that it had to do with the .NET framework update, as it tried to install when I first ran the game but failed. However I have since then I had the windows updater run and installed all possible updates. But the crashes are so wideranging I feel like it must be something very core to how the game runs. The log file says lots of files are missing. Also with every crash my preferences seem to be reset. If anyone has knowledge of how to fix this issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vanilla MW2 crashing repeatedly. Unknown Issue

Would this happen to be on windows 11? I'm getting the feeling some new trick is going to be needed because it's not the first time I've heard of persistent issues like this that aren't fixed through the usual suggestions. If you set your preferences through the medieval2.preference.cfg file, save and mark it as read only, the preference issue should be straightened out. I'd also want the .NET to be straightened out, some old version circ 2006ish would be required but that may well not be the answer. You could paste your log into a pastebin and link it perhaps, but some level of 'oo can't find x' from the log is not that unusual. Still, wouldn't hurt to have in case a real authority like Gig stops by to have a look.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Which compatibility options did you activate?
    Did you apply Large Address Awareness to the game's executable file?

I have tried a number of different compatibility options. I have it on windows xp service pack 2 right now. I have not applied the LAA yet. I am just using vanilla right now. Would the LAA help with these issues?

I am beginning to think that the issue lies with directx, in fact I think that it was never installed or installed but not activated (I don't know if this is technically possible it's just what it seems). Right now I believe there is no directx version installed on my computer and the crashes seem to be the same as when I have any other version installed. This would also make sense as the initial installation of directx, as soon as the game was first launched, failed. I have since downloaded a couple different versions of directx but they don't seem to fix the issue, but maybe there is some sort of initialization step that I am missing to activate directx after I install it?

Also I did put the LAA on and the issues remain the same.

Blog Entries

I heard something about needing to update DirectX after one of the latest updates for Win11 when playing older games.

Here is the article.

That article just seems to be the download page for the windows SDK. I downloaded it and installed the directx package. I think the crashes are less common but its hard to say. Still not playable. Are other people having this issue? This is now the second computer I've tried to install it on and i've had the exact same issues. Do all new med2 installations on windows 11 experience this? Is it possible that there are some settings that are tied to my steam account that are causing this? I noticed that even when I uninstall and reinstall med2 the medieval exe still has the same compatibility settings as before.

It appears that directx 12 ultimate is disabled on my computer, and that it is not compatible in general with this computer I just bought. I've installed the directx legacy version but I don't think it matters as directx in general doesn't seem to be active. It seems that the intel graphics on this laptop is not supported by directx at all. I think this is an impasse but if anyone has any other further tricks to try that would be much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about this issue, do let us know if you find a solution so we can spread the news.