Thread: Modding CBUR

ThomasHerennius's Avatar Foederatus

Default Modding CBUR

Hey, so I'm trying to add the Byzantine units from Tsardoms and Broken Crescents into my copy of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster project for my own personal use. Are there any special steps I need to take while adding the unit or can I just follow the Creating A World tutorial as usual? Thanks

Default Re: Modding CBUR

Anyone? The game keeps giving me an unspecified error crash as soon as I put in the ModelDB data.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Yup, my tutorial is fully applicable in this situation

ModelDB is finicky, restore your original file to confirm that it is the source and then start editing again. Take care of line and faction counts (and the model count if it is a completely new model entry) and make sure to leave a SPACE at the end of each line. The latter can be easily checked if you use Notepad++ with 'view\ show symbol\show white space and TAB': a space is shown as orange dot, a TAB (never use it in modeldB!) as orange arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Yup, my tutorial is fully applicable in this situation

ModelDB is finicky, restore your original file to confirm that it is the source and then start editing again. Take care of line and faction counts (and the model count if it is a completely new model entry) and make sure to leave a SPACE at the end of each line. The latter can be easily checked if you use Notepad++ with 'view\ show symbol\show white space and TAB': a space is shown as orange dot, a TAB (never use it in modeldB!) as orange arrow.
    Gotcha, also, you say to use a formatted Modeldb, but the only formatted Modeldb present is a .bak file, and it also doesn't include the CBUR units. Is there a way for me to format the one present or is it already formatted and I'm just overthinking it?

Blog Entries

BAK usually means backup. There is a good chance that it is formatted. The original file from the game is a single line of text whereas a formatted file will have the line split in an easy to edit format.

If not then you can use the unit editor and try to create a formatted version of the file. Always keep a backup!

Thanks for the advice guys, I think it just may be impossible? I've made sure everything from the Battle_Models to the various EDBs and EDUs is written correctly, all the textures are pathed correctly, I think CBUR just may be too finicky. Every time I've loaded it up (you have to do so by renaming the file to Crusades while having the KingdomsLauncher set it as a Kingdoms file) the game freaks out and says it's missing a few campaign files. That ONLY happens if you haven't added a new unit, however.

I'm afraid, despite my best efforts, that it seems an impossible task. It's a shame, since I was looking forward to having new units to play around with in Vanilla :'(

Thank you guys once again! You were all really helpful and I did at least get a good education on txt editing and how the BM's work.

Blog Entries

Renaming? That's a pretty old method and not required.

I am not up to date if CBUR is a sub mod\add on or a stand alone mod - but I am going with 'add on'. My suggestion - install my Bare Geomod mod set up and then copy the files into it. Remove whatever entry you might have added in Steam's custom launch option and use the desktop shortcut.

In case you come across mods that are not Steam compatible (the sole reason for the ancient renaming method) then simply apply this.

[...]make sure to leave a SPACE at the end of each line.[...]
    I see that EBII does this, unique among the mods I have installed, but what does it accomplish?

Blog Entries

The end of line space in the modeldb is a requirement afaik as otherwise the following entry may be read as well. There is however the notion that the CR LF provides the same function, eg separate the entries. Don't forget that the original file is one single continuous line.

Formatting tools usually break the line after the space as otherwise they would have to delete the existing space which would otherwise be at the start of the next line, most modelDB I have seen do so, at least at the vanilla entries. Manual entries might ignore this and get away with it, hence the CR LF notion.

I rather add the space then being sorry somewhere down the line - wouldn't be first time that 'cleaning up' bit me in the butt

There is however the notion that the CR LF provides the same function, eg separate the entries.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it works: any white space character will do. Spaces at the end of lines isn't needed unless the problem induced by not having them is something really obscure that I haven't noticed yet.

Blog Entries

I agree with your observation - I am just a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' guy, that way I don't have unnecessary follow ups if something really obscure happens. Something ingrained after I tried (and eventually succeeded) to clean up the default descr_character file, 'essential' left-over RTW coding making that a rather interesting undertaking.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 13, 2022 at 12:19 AM.

I am not up to date if CBUR is a sub mod\add on or a stand alone mod - but I am going with 'add on'. My suggestion - install my Bare Geomod mod set up and then copy the files into it. Remove whatever entry you might have added in Steam's custom launch option and use the desktop shortcut.

In case you come across mods that are not Steam compatible (the sole reason for the ancient renaming method) then simply apply this.

I'll try that then! I apologize if I seem excessively whiny or clueless; I think I just haven't tried hard enough, so I'll keep at it! Thanks for the continued advice!

Blog Entries

There is nothing whiny and clueless about stating what you tried within your knowledge of the game. Try what I suggested and if it doesn't work come back and we try something else.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

CBUR has two forms. One is part od Stainless Steel 6.1 and later versions and the other os only the models and their textures inorder mods to find the proper place for them to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHerennius View Post
    I'll try that then! I apologize if I seem excessively whiny or clueless; I think I just haven't tried hard enough, so I'll keep at it! Thanks for the continued advice!
    CBUR models and BC ones have different style of models and textures. You will end up having a mixed roster that will look alien.
    If you already have a mod you can download the SS and copy their models and their EDU and bmdb entries creating the roster. YOU can do the same from BC. If you want to REPLACE a CBUR model and its textures with one of BC you can rename the BC model , textures etc with those that CBUR model has.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    CBUR has two forms. One is part od Stainless Steel 6.1 and later versions and the other os only the models and their textures inorder mods to find the proper place for them to work.

CBUR models and BC ones have different style of models and textures. You will end up having a mixed roster that will look alien.
    If you already have a mod you can download the SS and copy their models and their EDU and bmdb entries creating the roster. YOU can do the same from BC. If you want to REPLACE a CBUR model and its textures with one of BC you can rename the BC model , textures etc with those that CBUR model has.
    You've got it in reverse; I want to add Broken Crescent and Tsardoms units to the CBUR mod so I can use while playing it (the one I have appears to replace vanilla Byzantine units with CBUR units.) I tried adding BC units to SS but unfortunately there's only a few "ownership" spaces left in the EDU (I think like, 6).

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHerennius View Post
    You've got it in reverse; I want to add Broken Crescent and Tsardoms units to the CBUR mod so I can use while playing it (the one I have appears to replace vanilla Byzantine units with CBUR units.) I tried adding BC units to SS but unfortunately there's only a few "ownership" spaces left in the EDU (I think like, 6).
    Then the best you can do is to copy the models and textures. Then rename them with the names they have in CBUR and overwrite them.
    Archers for archers
    Spearmen for spearmen etc...
    CBUR will return to Komnenean Era roster when TGC mod will be completed.
    Some experiments 12 years ago!

Wait to see your progress.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Damn, so there's no way for me to add new units to CBUR at all? That sucks, but I guess that's the way it is then!