Thread: Error messages with ALX exe

Default Error messages with ALX exe

I am getting these error messages in a pop up when I try to launch anything that uses the Alexander-TW exe:

'rometw-alx.exe -mod:eb -noalexander -show_err_movie_cam ' failed (error 5: access is denied.)
    and:
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I get the first when I try to launch Europa Barbarorum (it will launch if I change the exe to RTW or BI, but I want to continue my years long campaign)
    The second happens with the base Alexander-TW game as well as Alexander Total Overhaul.
    RTW, BI and the Invasio Barbarorum mod for BI all launch just fine. The game is installed directly on the C drive

Any help would be appreciated.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Default Re: Error messages with ALX exe

Hello Infidel,
    You have the disc version and not the steam version right?
    Regards,
    b0Gia de Bodemloze
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

That is correct. The RTW Anthology edition.

Hello Infidel, if you have discord please join to check it further. Otherwise please provide a video that you are reproducing the issue and post is here (via wetransfer) for example.
    I am using steam version so I am not sure what could be the problem.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

I do not have discord, and I do not know how to reproduce a video of the issue, which just happens when I click the short-cut
    Step-by-step, I click the short cut for EB, (or when I try to launch the EB Configuration shortcut) which I have configured to use the ALX exe. It does not open, I simply get a pop-up labeled "EBTrivialScript Error" with this message:
    'rometw-alx.exe -mod:eb -noalexander -show_err_movie_cam ' failed (error 5: access is denied.)

Similarly, if I just click the basic Alexander shortcut I get the message:
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Hello Infidel,
    Then there is something with the Windows permissions, can you try to run them as administrator?
    Can you provide a screenshot with the error message?

I have run as administrator and given myself full control etc. It must have something to go with the Alexander exe, as BI and Rome load.
    These are the screen shots of the dialog box:
    This is when I try to run EB:

This is when I try to run the base Alexander:
    Last edited by Infidel144; February 07, 2022 at 06:04 PM.

Well. I gave up and uninstalled everything (RTW, BI, ALX, and the various mods I had). Reinstalled Rome, BI and Alexander. Rome and BI work.
    With Alexander I still get the same message:
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    Anyone got any ideas?

Very strange. I went and clicked on Alexander. It launched and loaded. I fought a custom battle.
    I exited.
    I tried again, and back to the "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Is the mod in the correct path? eg ...\RTW\EB
    I am not familiar with the -movie_cam switch, is it a valid entry?
    Have you tried giving the ALX exe admin rights?
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 11, 2022 at 08:36 PM.

Yes, it was in the correct path. I have since uninstalled EB, which turned into a big mistake since reinstalling has been mess, and even after reinstalling I get the same message.
    (EB is back to uninstalled since the campaign kept auto-running using the Rome exe, for some reason).

It has to be something with the Alx exe, since even the base Alex game wont load and I get this message:

I keep the basic Rome/BI/Alex as a separate install from the mods I used. I even uninstalled and re-installed it.

I have tried running ALX as an Admin. Still the same thing happens.

I have even tried launching from the disc, Rome will, ALX wont.
    Last edited by Infidel144; February 12, 2022 at 04:51 AM.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Yes, it was in the correct path. I have since uninstalled EB, which turned into a big mistake since reinstalling has been mess, and even after reinstalling I get the same message.
    (EB is back to uninstalled since the campaign kept auto-running using the Rome exe, for some reason).

It has to be something with the Alx exe, since even the base Alex game wont load and I get this message:

I keep the basic Rome/BI/Alex as a separate install from the mods I used. I even uninstalled and re-installed it.

I have tried running ALX as an Admin. Still the same thing happens.

I have even tried launching from the disc, Rome will, ALX wont.
    Have you tried sending a shortcut to desktop from single player in your directory then open properties and perhaps try adding this to the target line -nm -ne -show_err -noalexander -mod:EB ...it's just a thought & worth a try if all else fails.

Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 12, 2022 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added info
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

That is how it was for EB Alexander (I uninstalled EB and am reinstalling now, but have not gotten to the Extended Trivial Script yet).

However, it has to be something with the ALX.exe itself, since that wont load just to play the base Alexander game.
    This is what the dialog box that pops up says:

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    That is how it was for EB Alexander (I uninstalled EB and am reinstalling now, but have not gotten to the Extended Trivial Script yet).

However, it has to be something with the ALX.exe itself, since that wont load just to play the base Alexander game.
    This is what the dialog box that pops up says:

I have Anthology too and have no issues with ALX but I have done it differently which I cannot mention on here because rules are rules. I assume you have Win 7 or 8.1 because I'm sure you know disks don't work on 10. I have pm'd you with a solution that may help.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

I had no issues previously, but then I let it sit for almost two years. But yes I have Windows 7, and am refusing to upgrade (I'd still be using Windows 98 2nd edition if it were possible).
    Hopefully your solution will work

Saul Tyre was able to help me fix it. So this thread can be closed.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

An easier way to experiment with shortcuts might be this approach, for those interested.