Thread: Unit Descriptions Tool

Icon1 Unit Descriptions Tool

Made a tool to automatically add various unit attributes to unit descriptions, very customizable, it will add them at the top of the unit description, let me know if more features are needed

How to use:

Select the path to your mod and press set to confirm, (requires a export_units file that doesn't already have those descriptions if you don't want them double!)

Customize the options and press start, program will do the rest.

It will automatically rename the new file with added descriptions to export_units and add _backup to your old one.

It can automatically remove attribute descriptions that were added by the tool before if you want to update them, or it can even remove your mods current attribute descriptions if they follow the same format (at the top of the description, followed by double line break)

Press 'Save options to cfg' to save your configuration to the included cfg file so you won't have to reconfigure the program every time

might need an exception in your anti-virus!

Updated 20/11/2021 - Fixed bug when running outside mod folder, added options to save your configuration
    Update #2 20/11/2021 - Removed redundant rename export_units button, added the modpath to cfg file
    Always keep the new unit_stats_tool.cfg file with your program in the same folder, just press save options to write you customized options to it, it will read the options from there when the program starts

Download Links:
    Drop box https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhtd4s80ll22ghw/Unit%20Descriptions%20Tool.7z?dl=0
    TWCenter: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4637

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2021-11-20_154545.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	366062
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example1.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	366055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	911.4 KB 
ID:	366056
    Last edited by Fynn Total War; November 20, 2021 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Updated Download Link and description

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unit Descriptions Tool

Appreciated, I'll give this a twirl.

Edit - just tried to run it and got a short flash of an interface like in the dark blue pic you provide and then the app exits, but never mind - it appears the tool needs to be placed inside a mod folder, maybe add that to the info?
    Explanation: I have a sub folder called 'modstuff' (Medieval II Total War\mods\Mod Stuff) where I keep all my tools and the app behaves as described if placed in there.
    Placing it into my trusty BG directory (Medieval II Total War\mods\bare_geomod) works.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 19, 2021 at 11:20 PM.

Many thanks for the report, updated the program. Should work from any folder now, added option to save your custom configuration as well.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

AVG Internet Security Antivirus reports this file as containing a Trojan (Win64:Trojan-gen) and deletes it automatically
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

You'll need to make an exception if your anti-virus deletes it, unfortunately any python script you convert to exe using pyinstaller will get flagged by most av software

You can find the source code here on github: https://github.com/thrillos/Unit-Descriptions-Tool
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 20, 2021 at 11:32 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I did not have an issue with Window's defender - it did however tell me that it was 'cloud investigated' or something to that effect.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

@Fynn thank you, I tried with the GitHub version and it works like a charm!

However, may I please ask you to make a few minor edits to add support of RTW engine too?

RTW engine holds projectile settings stored in "descr_projectile_new.txt" file, not in "descr_projectile.txt".
    Also there's a bug in RTW which leads to engine discarding everything after ..._descr} before the first mention of "\n\n"

So

{barb_peasant_gaul_descr}Expert at Hiding in Forests\n\nPeasants are reluctant warriors

will be shown in game just as "Peasants are reluctant warriors...." etc. The text marked with bold letters will be ignored by the engine
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music