Thread: Freeze during battle

Icon1 Freeze during battle

Getting a somewhat consistent freeze in my mod every few battles, usually a few minutes in (have to manually end the medieval2.exe in task manager). The log doesn't help much, it's all script triggers and I haven't modified anything of them. These are the last few:

20:11:44.268 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1300A_Skirmishing_Watch_Out_For_Cavalry_Trigger> fired
    20:11:46.084 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Cavalry_Cycle_Trigger> fired
    20:11:46.084 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1333A_Breaking_Off_From_Combat_Trigger> fired
    20:11:46.084 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Alternate_Attack_Trigger> fired
    20:11:46.570 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1202_Spread_Panic_Trigger> fired
    20:11:46.570 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1203_Maintain_Momentum_Trigger> fired
    20:11:46.570 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1204_Timing_Is_Everything_Trigger> fired
    20:11:46.604 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1202_Spread_Panic_Trigger> fired

My initial guess points towards cavalry with the frighten attribute as "1202_Spread_Panic_Trigger", "1204_Timing_Is_Everything_Trigger" and "1203_Maintain_Momentum_Trigger" are often the last triggers fired, though I can't be sure.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Freeze during battle

Triggers are usually in the EDCT (export_descr_character_traits) or EDA (export_descr_ancillaries) file and don't get triggered during battle. Tracing the triggers in those files, most likely EDCT, should clarify that. Once you found them (search for name without the brackets) please copy them here.

Freezes in battles are mostly caused by oversized custom battle models. Applying LAA to the executable(s) might help here as it enables the use of more RAM (4GB instead of only 2GB) for older 32 bit applications.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 19, 2021 at 10:11 PM.

I see. I already used the 4GB patch some time ago, and I've ported a few battle models from different other mods, so I assume those might be the problem then. I should clarify I still get those freezes in custom battles where I suppose traits and ancillaries do not partake in.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Traits and triggers can cause a crash at the exit of the battle (PostBattle triggers) but will never be responsible for a freeze. The primary reason for this are models (unit and buildings) with excessive vertex count as well as over sized textures (doubling the dimension of a graphic quadruples it's memory requirement). This can then be compounded if unit models do not have LOD models with reduced vertices: when zooming out more and more oversized models will need to be rendered instead of lower sized ones, increasing memory requirements exponentially instead of keeping it steady.

Just had an identical crash / freeze in a battle.
    I was using a clump of English Generals (6) with a couple of merc cavalry units to attack a Milan army.
    Was clearing up when it crashed.
    Two big armies were approaching this initial skirmish when everything froze.

The log clearly shows these triggers are firing during the battle.

log 23:51:28.039 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0201_Message_First_Incoming_Message_Trigger> fired
    23:51:28.835 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1202_Spread_Panic_Trigger> fired
    23:51:28.835 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1203_Maintain_Momentum_Trigger> fired
    23:51:28.835 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1204_Timing_Is_Everything_Trigger> fired
    23:51:37.357 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1202_Spread_Panic_Trigger> fired
    23:51:37.357 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1203_Maintain_Momentum_Trigger> fired
    23:51:37.357 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <1204_Timing_Is_Everything_Trigger> fired

I suspect either vanilla issue or using the same mod as O/P ?
    Last edited by Used2BRoz; September 11, 2022 at 06:35 PM.