Thread: Road generation Script/building?

Default Road generation Script/building?

Hi everyone,
    Every time I start a campaign, after the first turn the Player Controlled faction generates highways/paved roads. I want to get rid of this. Does anyone have the same 'problem'? Or was anyone there at the creation of this feature? I'd like to find out what's causing this and disable it.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Road generation Script/building?

It's simply the next level in road building and usually does not require a much higher settlement level. Making money is one of the prime objectives of the AI and building\upgrading roads is the simplest way.

Tying it to some kind of event\number of turns would be an option. Or increasing the settlement level required.

No no, something in this mod specifically generates roads for the player controlled faction. After one turn, in every region. I'm not building any highways, someone's doing it for me. And it doesn't do so for the AI factions, only the faction I am playing with. So it's got to be scripted or tied to a building, maybe?

Blog Entries

That can only be achieved via script and only in the first rounds as otherwise it would take a pretty long script to test for region ownership before placing upgraded roads. Beats me for what purpose, though.

The method would be either direct with the create_building command or indirect by setting an event counter that then gets used in the EDB file.

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Nothing to the effect of "create_building" or other relevant search terms in the campaign script.

This is the text in EDB relevant to the buildings that affect road_level.

building hinterland_roads{
    ; convert_to hinterland_castle_roads
    levels roads paved_roads highways
    {
    roads requires factions { northern_european, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level market corn_exchange or building_present_min_level livestock cattle
    {
    ; convert_to 0
    capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { venice, france, england, uineill, portugal, normans, moors, aztecs, hre, uib, }
    road_level 0
    }
    material wooden
    construction 2
    cost 2100
    settlement_min village
    upgrades
    {
    paved_roads
    }
    }
    paved_roads city requires factions { northern_european, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level market market or building_present_min_level livestock cattle_farming and building_present_min_level engineering_fabrum logistica_engineering
    {
    ; convert_to 1
    capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus 3 requires factions { venice, france, england, uineill, portugal, normans, moors, aztecs, hre, uib, }
    road_level 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 3
    cost 7200
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    highways
    }
    }
    highways city requires factions { southern_european, middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level bank treasury and building_present_min_level engineering_fabrum logistica_fabrum
    {
    ; convert_to 1
    capability
    {
    population_growth_bonus bonus 4 requires factions { venice, france, england, }
    road_level 2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 7
    cost 15200
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

Blog Entries

Highways have the same settlement level (settlement_min town) as regular roads - suggest to up the level by at least one, no surprise the AI will build them asap if he meets the building requirements, unless the treasury is linked to a higher settlement level already.

But the AI is not building them, something else is building it for me when I play any faction. After one turn ALL my regions have highways. That's very VERY weird, no?

Blog Entries

That certainly is. Is it just the display on the map (graphic glitch\bug) or is the building (highway) also present in the settlement? Try hovering over one og your highways and see what the tooltip says.

Do AI factions have the ability to construct buildings in 1 turn?

Blog Entries

I would think they are bound by the building times in the EDB but I have never tested that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That certainly is. Is it just the display on the map (graphic glitch\bug) or is the building (highway) also present in the settlement? Try hovering over one og your highways and see what the tooltip says.
    The building is also present. Whatever faction you play will have highways turn 1 while the other generate them on turn 2. It's definitely not construction, it's consistently replicable and most of the factions in this mod can't ever actually build highways normally anyway. Also, the roads will be the "Roman" culture regardless of the faction they generate in. Seems like it would be a script thing, but if Urien hasn't found it... idk

Blog Entries

Disable the script by commenting out the bottom line in descr_strat and try again to rule out the script.