Thread: War In Caribbean Sea

Icon1 War In Caribbean Sea

Hello, my name is Wilfredo. This is my first piece of writing. This story delves into the interactions between Europeans and the Taino, who are my ancestors and part of my heritage. I am aware that some of you may be familiar with Puerto Rican history. I proudly identify as Boricua, and that's why I'm sharing the remarkable aspects of Taino culture.

In the year 1491 A.D., within the kingdom of Spain, a man harbored an ardent desire to embark on an exploration of the New World. This man, identified as Christopher Columbus, sought the formal permission of the reigning monarchs, the King and Queen, to initiate a journey in pursuit of the undiscovered lands and their riches, notably gold. The King of Spain, in recognition of Columbus's aspirations, duly granted the requisite authorization.

Following this official approval, Columbus proceeded to convene a crew at a local establishment, employing the setting to recruit individuals willing to join him on the impending maritime expedition. Together, they meticulously assembled vital provisions, encompassing sustenance, resources, weaponry, armor, and other essential materials, diligently preparing for their momentous journey to the New World.

In the expanse of the Caribbean Sea Islands, a significant populace of approximately 600,000 Taino people established their residence. Revered for their opulence in gold, exceptional prowess in the art of warfare, and possession of a clandestine city holding treasures accumulated over centuries, the Taino Tribe found its leadership in Chief Agüeybanà, an esteemed kasiké of the Caribbean Sea. Bedecked in helmets adorned with gold masks complementing their visages, and distinctive garments encircling their hips, the Taino warriors brandished extraordinary weaponry. These included long spears crafted from wood with sharp gold points, coupled with substantial bows and extended arrows secured on their backs. Their adornments further included necklaces featuring gold sun pendants. Trained from infancy to evolve into formidable warriors, the Taino people held deep veneration for their leaders, particularly Agüeybanà. Noteworthy was Agüeybanà's choice to traverse the earth rather than assuming a regal throne, emblematic of his commitment to aiding and serving his people.

Gold City

On board the vessel, Christopher Columbus found himself facing the challenges of an arduous sea voyage. The entire crew, fatigued and weakened by the relentless demands of the ocean, struggled to endure months of tumultuous conditions. Amidst the vast expanse of the Atlantic Ocean, Columbus meticulously examined the map and compass, seeking guidance for their navigational course.

Observing the prevailing circumstances, Columbus issued a command to the sailors, directing a change in their heading. "Keep heading further west!" he ordered. A resolute acknowledgment of "Aye, sir!" echoed through the ship as a sailor promptly conveyed the instruction. Seizing the substantial wooden wheel, the sailor adeptly adjusted the ship's course, steering it to the right before skillfully halting the wheel. The vessel now set its course towards the Caribbean Sea, marking the continuation of their journey, with two more months left until the culmination of an eight-month-long expedition away from the shores of Europe.

2 months has passed

In the annals of history, they finally arrived on the island, greeted by the exuberant cheers of the crews who joyously leaped from the ship into the inviting waters. Christopher Columbus, the stalwart explorer, beckoned a select group of companions – a priest, sailors, and soldiers – to join him on the boat, while the remainder followed closely on other vessels. As their feet touched the sandy shores, a mysterious hush fell upon the island.

"Why is it so quiet?" queried the inquisitive priest, breaking the stillness. Columbus, gazing thoughtfully at the serene surroundings, replied, "I don't know, maybe they don't notice us coming." With these words, he knelt on the sacred island, prompting a contemplative silence among the assembled.Columbus, rising from his reverent posture, ventured into the lush forest, the intrigued party trailing in his wake. Their journey through the verdant expanse unveiled an array of fantastical creatures unseen in the realms of Europe – parrots adorned in vibrant plumage, sagacious iguanas, iridescent insects, and avian wonders with resplendent colors. The allure of these creatures compelled them to collect specimens, destined to impress the distant King and Queen.

Deciding to explore other islands in search of new wonders, Columbus led the way, leaving behind the mysteries of the first discovered land. Meanwhile, Chief Agüeybanà, forewarned by mystical omens, took decisive action to protect his people. He instructed his soldiers to survey the surroundings and directed builders to fortify the island with walls and defenses.

"Like right now, I must warn them that something will happen to our people," declared Agüeybanà, urgency in his voice. The leader builder, acknowledging the gravity of the situation, rallied the workers with a fervent "Boria!" They swiftly cut woods and fashioned them into walls and spikes, creating a formidable defense.

The progress, once completed, earned the approval of Agüeybanà. "Good work!" he commended the builders. The following day, the Taino people gathered at the plaza, summoned by their esteemed Kasiké. Expressing gratitude for their presence, Agüeybanà addressed the ominous prophecy revealed by a Fortune Teller.

"We don't know when strange people will invade our island and take our people and gold for money," warned Agüeybanà. "We have to protect our family and values! We have to welcome them... however, if they start violence or steal. We will fight! We must kill them or put them back the boats!" The resounding chant of "Long live the kasiké!" echoed through the plaza, and Agüeybanà, visibly concerned for his people, asserted their identity.

"Taino! We are Taino! We fight for our people, our culture, our land, our legacy!" Agüeybanà declared, prompting a thunderous response from a thousand warriors pounding their spears on the ground. "You all Taino are welcome to join us to fight against them," he proclaimed, inspiring cheers of solidarity among the Taino people.

The 2nd Chapter coming soon!
    Last edited by Captain Jupiter; January 11, 2024 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Edited Y 2nd Chapter Coming Soon!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: War In Caribbean Sea

Hi, Captain Jupiter, and welcome to the Writers' Study.

Thank you for sharing your writing with us. It's great to be able to read your retelling of history!

I'll try to have a better look at your writing in a day or two, if I have time. (I'll probably send you a PM, to avoid cluttering up this thread. I don't want your writing to be drowned in comments about your English, because that might put people off reading. ) In the meantime, it's probably worth saying that the usual spelling of 'kasiké in English is 'cacique'. We stole the word from either the Spanish or the Portuguese, I don't know which. They, of course, stole it from you.

I don't know if you've had chance to look around the Writers' Study yet, but please do. Having people correct your English is a good way to learn, but reading other people's writing is also helpful - and there's plenty here to choose from! If you have any questions about the Writers' Study, or about writing, or about English, please feel free to post them on the Writers' Study Chat Thread, or to PM any member of Writers' Study staff. The Writers' Study staff are: Alwyn (the director), me, theSilentKiller, Axis Sunsoar and Darkan.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Welcome! It's good to read a story about the Taino by someone with Taino ancestry (I read about the Taino when I wrote a Haiti AAR using Empire Total War).

I'll be interested to see what happens as people from these two cultures encounter each other. It sounds like Agüeybanà will have a challenging fight ahead, when Columbus and his crew find out about their gold. Long live the kasiké!

Thank you Caillagh de Bodemloze! No worries, take your time, my good friend! Taino language is awesome! I will be very appreciated for your correct my English. I want to improve with my writing skill, so that I can make everyone understand and image. I should have have post on the Writers' Study Chat Thread before I post it. Shame on me haha.

Thank you Alwyn, oh sound interested! I will like to read your Haiti AAR if you a have chance to give me the link. Long live the kasiké! Yes, Agüeybanà and his people will be their first of the war against Europeans without superior guns, horses, and full armors. I might add some cool research technology for Taino after the first battle! You will find out, my good friend!
    Last edited by Captain Jupiter; July 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM.

Alonso

Columbus and his crew sailed across the open sea, anticipating their arrival at a new destination. The ship's captain, a soldier named Pablo with a reputation for greed, approached Columbus with impatience, questioning the distance to the island. Columbus reassured him, emphasizing the uncertainty of the journey's duration. However, Pablo expressed concern about the hunger and sickness plaguing his men after three days at sea.

"Have patience, captain. Patience. You and your men lack faith in God. Your impatience borders on blasphemy!" Columbus admonished. Pablo remained silent and walked away from the conversation.

Excitement arose when a sailor on the ship's tower announced the sighting of the island. Columbus, wide-eyed, ran to witness the land they had been seeking. Pablo joined him, grinning at the discovery. Columbus expressed gratitude to God for guiding them, suggesting they rest and explore the newfound land. He then headed to his cabin to prepare for their arrival.

Pablo, taking charge, ordered the soldiers and sailors to pack and get ready. The crew swiftly organized, gathering food, gunpowder, and tools. As Columbus emerged from his cabin, he urged everyone to be prepared, and they set off for the island. Ten Taino warriors observed the approaching Europeans from behind the dense forest, holding their distinctive long spears made of gold.

Columbus and his crew, accompanied by the priest, disembarked from the boat and walked towards the Taino warriors on the beach. A linguistic barrier became evident when a Taino warrior greeted Columbus in their language. Columbus attempted to communicate, gesturing towards himself and the warrior named Alonso. Language confusion persisted, leading to the Taino warriors touching the Spaniards' armors and knocking on their metal chest armor. Columbus intervened, assuring the Taino that the Spaniards were not a threat.

Alonso signaled for Columbus and five men to follow the warriors into the forest. The warriors maintained a strict but gentle guard, ensuring no violence occurred. As they walked for miles, observations about the Taino warriors' physical prowess and lifestyle were exchanged among Columbus and his men.

Eventually, they slowed down, and the warriors gestured for them to continue walking. Pablo fixated on the golden spears, creating a moment of tension. An hour later, the Spaniards observed a large stone statue of Cemi near a river, witnessing Taino people carrying fruits and meats. The Taino appeared wary of the heavily armed Spaniards.

The journey led them to the front of a massive waterfall, where Taino people disappeared inside carrying food. The scene left Columbus and his crew in awe, marking the beginning of their exploration of the mysterious island.

Chapter Three Coming Soon!

Last edited by Captain Jupiter; January 11, 2024 at 11:19 AM.

Good chapter, I enjoyed seeing the Taino and the Spaniards trying to understand each other. It sounds like the Spaniards are feeling confident and the Taino are nervous. (You asked about my Haiti AAR, it's here.)

Man, i just love these out of the way stories. Your story is very good. All hail Taino.

I myself know very little of Puerto Rican history despite Puerto Rico being a part of my own nation(USA) . Excited to find out.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

A great start! I was inspired to look into Taino on the wiki because of your story here.
    Cuba, the largest island of the Antilles, was originally divided into 29 chiefdoms. Most of the native settlements later became the site of Spanish colonial cities retaining the original Taíno names, including Havana, Batabanó, Camagüey, Baracoa, and Bayamo.[3] The name Cuba comes from the Taíno language, although the exact meaning of the name is unclear. It can be translated as "where fertile land is abundant" (cubao), or a "great place" (coabana).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno

I simply cannot wait for the next update. By the way, I have no problems with your English.

Columbus, Pablo, Miguel, Hector, Diego, and Jorge were in awe as they saw the huge waterfall! “Guarico” (Come) Alonso said. They followed him through the waterfall inside and got on the small boats on the river inside the waterfall. Minutes later, they seemed to interact with vines hanging downwards in the cave. They came out and saw thousands of Tainos in the gold city. The Spaniards were still on the small boats with warriors.

“Welcome to my homeland,” Alonso spoke in Taino.

“Oh Lord…” Columbus gasped.

“What in the name of... a lot of gold!” Pablo said.

“It’s paradise!” Hector exclaimed.

“Shh! Not too loud, Hector!” Miguel cautioned.

Alonso spoke in Taino language and said “Guarico...”, Spaniards followed him, and also Alonso said “You can leave warriors and stay alert from Spaniards if they're up to something.” Yuquibo said “Yes, my great warrior”. Then Yuquibo collected 4 warriors and ran to the beach where the Spaniards had sailed.

Columbus and his men still followed Alonso and walked on the stone roads towards the Kasiké’s hut.

“Aha, tau!” Agüeybanà welcomed them.

Columbus, familiar with that Taino Language word “tau,” realized it was a greeting. Then finally, he said “tau.”

“Hm, where did you learn to speak our language?” Agüeybanà asked.

Columbus and his men still didn’t understand their language. “Uhh, I don’t speak like you.” He chuckled and showed his no nod and his gesture with his hands on his mouth like he can’t speak Taino language. Agüeybanà and warriors didn’t understand either.“Very well, Alonso! I will need someone that is useful and willing to learn to speak the white language.” Agüeybanà said.

“Yes, guami’!” Alonso said. Then he ran out of the hut.

Agüeybanà looked at Columbus and his men slowly. He noticed that Spaniards had beards, strange gears, guns, and clothes unlike Taino. Taino people had no beards and long hair.“Hey chief, where did you get that so much gold?” Pablo spoke in Spanish.

“Huh?” Agüeybanà was confused.

Pablo’s finger pointed forward to Agüeybanà’s necklace.

“Oh this? You want gold?” Agüeybanà asked in Taino, holding his hand on the gold necklace.

“Yeah yeah.” Pablo said.

“Hmm…” Agüeybanà grew suspicious and then refused to answer.

“Well? Where is it?” Pablo asked again.

“Enough of questions.” Columbus said and patted Pablo’s shoulder.

Pablo silenced. Then Alonso finally arrived at the hut and brought a man who was willing to learn the Spanish language. “Guami’, he is here.” Alonso said.

“Excellent Alonso!” Agüeybanà smiled at Alonso. Columbus and men were confused because of the translator being here. Agüeybanà with his hands gestured like he was trying to explain to them about the translator. Columbus understood and accepted his request. Agüeybanà told Alonso to accompany them back to the beach.

“If our translator is not back since. Capture them when they come back.” Agüeybanà said to Alonso.“Yes guami’.” Suddenly Columbus asked a requirement from Agüeybanà and said “Can our crews stay on your land?” with his gestures about his men staying on the island. Agüeybanà seemed to understand with his gestures. He accepted Columbus’s requirement as well. Agüeybanà told Alonso again “Make sure his men stay at the beach. No further and near to our city.” Alonso said “I will watch them, Kasiké.”“Guarico!” Alonso said to Spaniards. They followed him to the beach.

“What about gold?” Pablo asked

“Will you quit mentioning gold!” Columbus angrily retorted.

“Goddamn you, I will kill them all!!” Pablo yelled.

Alonso looked at them that Columbus and Pablo were arguing about gold, but Alonso still didn’t understand in Spanish. Spaniard crews unloaded from ships on the beach for 3 hours. Taino warriors stood and watched Spaniards doing. Columbus and crews left for Europe. Alonso seemed concerned about Spaniards on the beach. Then he saw Yuquibo watching them, and Alonso ran to him and asked him “Anything news?” Alonso asked him. “No guami’, no one made moves or sneaked. They were waiting for someone.” Yuquibo said. “Ah, I see. Excellent warrior!” Alonso said. “Thank you!” Yuquibo said. “Remember my friend, something happens to our future. Make sure nothing happens to us from Spaniards if they start. Kill them as fast as possible as you can.” Alonso said. “We will.” Yuquibo said. Then they saw the ships gone from the beach, and the rest of the Spaniards were still on the beach setting up camps.

Last edited by Captain Jupiter; January 11, 2024 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    A great start! I was inspired to look into Taino on the wiki because of your story here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno

I simply cannot wait for the next update. By the way, I have no problems with your English.
    I'm glad that I inspired you!
    Last edited by Captain Jupiter; February 23, 2024 at 11:29 PM.

Good chapter! It sounds like both sides are watching each other carefully. I wonder if Pablo's obsession with gold will get him (and his friends) into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good chapter! It sounds like both sides are watching each other carefully. I wonder if Pablo's obsession with gold will get him (and his friends) into trouble.
    Yes, Pablo was pretty greedy gold.

That's really interesting! Can't wait for the next chapter!!

Great writing man. Please write more.
    mad orc.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

I have revision my English Writing.

Welcome back to the Study, Captain Jupiter!

Thank you! I hope everything is good with you!