Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A number of questions that still need answer now that Rome II has new DLC and many improvements.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default A number of questions that still need answer now that Rome II has new DLC and many improvements.

Questions:
    • Do the strat_map models go hand to hand with the battlemap ones. I explain. On the strat_map when population grows you have more building slots available and the strat_map model grows up but in the battlefiled that change des not apply. You need extra tech to make it happen. So in strat_map you have a huge city and on the battlefield a village.
    • Do the rest of settlements get any walls like in Attila -atleast-?
    • Do the AI or player can capture and enemy ship and use it like in ETW?
    • Does the AI can use 2 or more armies in sieges intipentandly without waiting the 1st one to succeed as they are doing now?
    • Does AI make long range naval invasions?
    • Are there ANY kind or road improvement that was missing in the latest update?
    • Does AI avoid famine with luck of food?
    • Does Sparta have acces to a port inorder to make trade agreements?
    • Does CA/SEGA devs added the missing horse textures that shown in the early previews but never added in game?
    • Do archers have proper animations now?
    • Can AI make an trade agreement -that woul be usefull for it - even if its feelings are "hostile" to player's faction?
    • Has the coalision of units improved or we will still see sowrdmen fighting from 2-3 m away?
    • Will we ever see sapping in Rome II ever?
    • Will we see any of the old TW features in Rome II like 2 or more AI controled armies assaulting walls with THEIR OWN siege rams,towers and ladders?
    • Will ever CA/SEGA answer any of these questions?
    • Finally ...why should we give more money on an unfinished game if the latest upgrade does not complete it at all?
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; July 20, 2018 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Adding more questions.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: A number of questions that still need answer now that Rome II has new DLC and many improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Questions:
    • Finally ...why should we give more money on an unfinished game if the latest upgrade does not complete it at all?
    Well for first the latest update is free no matter if you buy or not the DLC..

All right, but apart from family tree, intriques, agent skills rework, battle loot, visual changes, some AI fixes concerning battles/sieges and army compositions, and ship leaving landing zones, what have the CA ever done for us in this update?
    (All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? MP - Life of Brian )

And many of your listed "problems" are not problems at all at least for me.
    -Sparta is not port city, unless you change whole way trades are done. It is just sideeffect of gamedesign.
    -Captuiring enemy ships...why?
    -Roads are implemented via main building chain in region/province with other techs/buildings boosting the effect without dedicated building. Whatīs problem with that?
    -What is up with sapping? that is usually slow process for long term siege not wall assaults like we have here...Or you want to change torches for explosives?
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Default Re: A number of questions that still need answer now that Rome II has new DLC and many improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Well for first the latest update is free no matter if you buy or not the DLC..

All right, but apart from family tree, intriques, agent skills rework, battle loot, visual changes, some AI fixes concerning battles/sieges and army compositions, and ship leaving landing zones, what have the CA ever done for us in this update?
    (All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? MP - Life of Brian )

And many of your listed "problems" are not problems at all at least for me.
    -Sparta is not port city, unless you change whole way trades are done. It is just sideeffect of gamedesign.
    -Captuiring enemy ships...why?
    -Roads are implemented via main building chain in region/province with other techs/buildings boosting the effect without dedicated building. Whatīs problem with that?
    -What is up with sapping? that is usually slow process for long term siege not wall assaults like we have here...Or you want to change torches for explosives?
    I realy enjoy CA/SEGA self-employed defenders.
    So you like when in battlemap against Rome taht is huge on map you besiege an walled village.
    You like idiot AI
    You like unwalled settelements no matter if there WERE NOT such one in antiquity (even Sparta in that era had wallls).
    You like idiot AI armies waithing their turn to use previus AI siege towers, ladders or rams.
    Capturing ship why??? YOU make that question and modding an historical TW game? You should reconsider your knowlege about history and finally READ A HISTORY BOOK.
    Sapping or tunneling...Damn you are so smart...Those idiots that made tunnels to bring down walls since 4000BC should wait your birth to make their own history!
    Quess what ...there are a banch of player that we want accuracy in history and not repainted models ...
    All the rest you mentioned were included -in a degree- to RTW1 so what is the point to show us something 13years old as NEW?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I realy enjoy CA/SEGA self-employed defenders.
    So you like when in battlemap against Rome taht is huge on map you besiege an walled village.
    You like idiot AI
    You like unwalled settelements no matter if there WERE NOT such one in antiquity (even Sparta in that era had wallls).
    You like idiot AI armies waithing their turn to use previus AI siege towers, ladders or rams.
    Capturing ship why??? YOU make that question and modding an historical TW game? You should reconsider your knowlege about history and finally READ A HISTORY BOOK.
    Sapping or tunneling...Damn you are so smart...Those idiots that made tunnels to bring down walls since 4000BC should wait your birth to make their own history!
    Quess what ...there are a banch of player that we want accuracy in history and not repainted models ...
    All the rest you mentioned were included -in a degree- to RTW1 so what is the point to show us something 13years old as NEW?
    Only questions that matter are: Is it state of R2 better due to Ancestral Update? Is it state of R2 better than a year ago? Answers to both questions is yes, even if CA havenīt fixed or improved everything. Are you really denying that the game is in better shape now? For example siege AI is less retarded than it was...definitely step in right direction Best part, all these fixes were for free... Your problem is, this is a game not a simulation. According to you Naval bombardment in FotS is bad, beach landings in R2/Attila are bad and using magic and heroes in Warhammer..i will not even think about those But for me all these things are perfectly fine and if not well I can always pick mods to tailor battle speed and other things...

EDIT: btw sapping according to you sounds a lot like attack on Helmīs Deep. You have 5 minutes to bring it down boys, leave torches home letīs take some black powder and make it boom...damn thatīs pretty much like Greenskins in WH.. It is all about how you translate the reality into game while keeping fun and being realistic...Sappers/Engineers they would provide bonus for lenghty sieges. But the same can be easily simulated by General/Agent skills. Like Philip II had Polyidus of Thessaly. Thatīs more like special ancillary...It would be really unrealistic if engineers wre running during battle around and undermining the walls with shovels for example. Thatīs great improvement from torches..

And btw there was no naval combat prior to Empire. Ship landing prior to R2...these two are really big minus for me for R1. Bigger than torches.
    Last edited by Daruwind; July 20, 2018 at 06:36 AM.

By the way, have fun. You won the discussion, I aknowledge my defeat due to lack of experience,knowledge,skill...whatever. I have better things to do with my Friday noon! Of course TW as series is doomed, everything falling apart, TWs are done on edge of end? Letīs go back to R1/Med2 as nothing can ever beat those..not even Dinosaurs fighting Dragons..
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; July 20, 2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Oversized animated .gif removed

Only questions that matter are: Is it state of R2 better due to Ancestral Update? Is it state of R2 better than a year ago? Answers to both questions is yes, even if CA havenīt fixed or improved everything. Are you really denying that the game is in better shape now? For example siege AI is less retarded than it was...definitely step in right direction Best part, all these fixes were for free... Your problem is, this is a game not a simulation. According to you Naval bombardment in FotS is bad, beach landings in R2/Attila are bad and using magic and heroes in Warhammer..i will not even think about those But for me all these things are perfectly fine and if not well I can always pick mods to tailor battle speed and other things...

EDIT: btw sapping according to you sounds a lot like attack on Helmīs Deep. You have 5 minutes to bring it down boys, leave torches home letīs take some black powder and make it boom...damn thatīs pretty much like Greenskins in WH.. It is all about how you translate the reality into game while keeping fun and being realistic...Sappers/Engineers they would provide bonus for lenghty sieges. But the same can be easily simulated by General/Agent skills. Like Philip II had Polyidus of Thessaly. Thatīs more like special ancillary...It would be really unrealistic if engineers wre running during battle around and undermining the walls with shovels for example. Thatīs great improvement from torches..

And btw there was no naval combat prior to Empire. Ship landing prior to R2...these two are really big minus for me for R1. Bigger than torches.
    By the way, have fun. You won the discussion, I aknowledge my defeat due to lack of experience,knowledge,skill...whatever. I have better things to do with my Friday noon! Of course TW as series is doomed, everything falling apart, TWs are done on edge of end? Letīs go back to R1/Med2 as nothing can ever beat those..not even Dinosaurs fighting Dragons..
    You make the wrong question (and you know it).
    Your question to be valid should be "Does Rome II reaches the standards of RTW1 with Ancestral Update"?
    Ofcourse the answer would be NO.
    Despite the fact that you are the only one that "defends" CA/SEGA i would like a CA/SEGA developer to answer my questions unless you are one of them.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; July 20, 2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: For continuity

Your question to be valid should be "Does Rome II reaches the standards of RTW1 with Ancestral Update"?
    Despite the fact that you are the only one that "defends" CA/SEGA i would like a CA/SEGA developer to answer my questions unless you are one of them.
    I disagree completely, vanilla R2 is vastly superior to vanilla R1 at this point. I think you are looking back on R1 with rose tinted glasses now.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Daruwind will not stand alone defending He can have my "Destroyer", but I am too busy playing...

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well tbh the strat map is an issue. What you see on the campaign map isn't exactly what you get in RII because the custom cities are not numerous. In RTW 1 you could be fighting in many different cities and you couldn't tell the difference. The custom cities have a set design - so if there's only three eastern battle maps - for cities - then whats you will get. It's hard to tell how the custom cities evolve but I learn to enjoy it for the time being. And if you ever wanted a true reconstruction of Rome, the Coliseum would not be at the end of the city, it would be at the middle of the city or something. There's more building models they can add.

Carthage map for me is not great. I don't think I'll ever accept the fact they cut numerous sections of the city before launch and even if they had, they should have least made a path where you could go up to the Temple at least. Otherwise, I have a graphics mod which makes it close to the E3 setting so that's a plus. HATG was deceiving because the first intro cinematic depicts a Carthage Port with temples and more colonnaded buildings than what you see ingame. By the end, you have Scipio walking up - but I don't see that type of animations of soliders beating each other etc. That would be my critique.

When you mean villages - one exact problem could be pointed out that when R2 was being patched at launch, they removed the dense blocks from the cities hence you see very little blocks and resembling more like a village. The city of Ectabana, Persepolis are great. Not a big fan of how Babylon was constructed. Compare Attila's Rome with R2's Rome, and you will see it is vastly improved and much better. Imperial Palace in R1, but not in R2, but put in Attila. Eastern cities don't have much for them. Greek cities have the same layouts, and the port cities are annoying to besiege because it's always the same layout.

Tbh we need to make the new R2 DLC a success. More content means we can TED. Honestly, I don't understand how those Warhammer modders could mod the heck out of W2, replacing it with GCCM battle maps but can't do it for R2. We need TED for R2.

Not meant as critic, but I want TED for R2. We need new city custom settlements.

I enjoy R2, but it needs TED and a real overhauling of city maps.

They should get rid of the village maps - they're not fun.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; July 20, 2018 at 09:19 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
    I disagree completely, vanilla R2 is vastly superior to vanilla R1 at this point. I think you are looking back on R1 with rose tinted glasses now.
    This. Rome I Vanilla AI is worse, diplomacy is not existing, it has no sea battles, no naval landings. Simply outdated.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; July 20, 2018 at 09:55 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Daruwind will not stand alone defending He can have my "Destroyer", but I am too busy playing...
    The point is...will ANY CA/SEGA developer stand side by side with ypou both in your arguments?
    That is the real point...What ever you will right is your personal dreams of how you look at Rome II...I want a CA/SEGA DEVELOPER top answer with arguments for once and stop ignore us.
    He could says "you do not see this because of that"...BUT quilty as they are for the Rome II and Attila failures they do NOT DARE to answer with facts. I am that close to revive the old "why wasn't Darth Vader CA's choice and was another modder that lead to those failures? I am that close...But i wont bring this issue back YET!

I am that close to revive the old "why wasn't Darth Vader CA's choice and was another modder that lead to those failures? I am that close...But i wont bring this issue back YET!
    Do it, just do it, do it, do it Really and do it hard.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Don't get me wrong, Rome 1 has a very special place in my heart and I love it to bits(and think it does do some things better) but overall R2 is a much better game at this point.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by captainkrunch View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Rome 1 has a very special place in my heart and I love it to bits(and think it does do some things better) but overall R2 is a much better game at this point.
    This is my feeling too. Rome 1 was a great game in its time, and I'd probably still have fun with it if I played it today... But 1600+ hours of fun in the past 5 years like Rome 2? Probably not.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Do it, just do it, do it, do it Really and do it hard.
    Will you take the responsibillity and the punishements that will folow? If yes i will do it...So far I have proven that I am not afraid the punishments DO YOU?

They will not answer but I wonder if can pre-agree as community on some idea for DLC plus additions+fixes we want and ask CA to create it if we make enough pre-orders? I know this is not how it works and I know why it is so but maybe this format can work out in some way? They won't give tools to mod maps and some other stuff anyway.

Will you take the responsibillity and the punishements that will folow? If yes i will do it...So far I have proven that I am not afraid the punishments DO YOU?
    Sure because I remember Darth pretty well and the reason Darth left modding, and beside he do have it pretty well these days and made some great games I enjoy.
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; July 20, 2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: And I have No clue why you want to bring him up

Problem is, this kind of question is very subjective ;-) For you, answer is no, for me and other hell yes...Each player has different list of important game aspects and probably each one has them in different order of importance. The same goes with bugs, possible improvements. Your altitude is simply childish, expecting CA to fix all aspecst important to YOU and same goes for your question. It really should be: Is R2 in better state than a year ago or isnīt?

The point is...will ANY CA/SEGA developer stand side by side with ypou both in your arguments?
    That is the real point...What ever you will right is your personal dreams of how you look at Rome II...I want a CA/SEGA DEVELOPER top answer with arguments for once and stop ignore us.
    He could says "you do not see this because of that"...BUT quilty as they are for the Rome II and Attila failures they do NOT DARE to answer with facts. I am that close to revive the old "why wasn't Darth Vader CA's choice and was another modder that lead to those failures? I am that close...But i wont bring this issue back YET!
    I hope they have better things to do than fighting pointless discussions on web..like you know...actually programming the game. Maybe try newxt time more friendly tone and not demanding. Go ask google how to communitate with other peoples. If demands and threats are good way... If you are sick with current TWs, go away. Stop playing, create your own game nobody can force you to be here and play. But I would try to remember CA is not here to fullfill my dreams but make somewhing for all of us...WH, ToB, R2 Dlc, 3K...pick whatever is close to your heart and have fun even if it is R1 or Med2. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    They will not answer but I wonder if can pre-agree as community on some idea for DLC plus additions+fixes we want and ask CA to create it if we make enough pre-orders? I know this is not how it works and I know why it is so but maybe this format can work out in some way? They won't give tools to mod maps and some other stuff anyway.
    Definitely yes! Community wanted family trees from day one and here they are. Better late than never. I really like how major improvements are free while only if you really want new campaign you can buy it. This is prime example how it should work :-)

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Question is... when are we going to see this kind of BAI again in Total War games? Because I haven't seen this kind of AI after MTW2, where it uses actual reserves, countering your flanking attacks using the AI's own reserves, proper flanking, creating beautiful line battles. The only cancer here is generals suicide charging on your line of infantry, but still gets fixed by this mod. Even if it's modded, the game still offers you the possibility of actually making the AI to be competitive (Thanks to zeryx AI). Now I haven't seen a single AI mod for Rome 2 or Attila that does the same, not even zeryx's ai mod for Attila. I'm not trying to insult the guy (I have high respect to him and his mods he make), but I think Total War BAI's is getting more and more simplistic and neglected by the devs.

For me the biggest problem of Rome II is the lack of official modding tools for the modders (specially which refers to modify the campaing map.) CA should have a very low confidence in the quality of their own "New Content" packs and DLCS if they fear that a group of three or five modders can make a too much better work with their game than their own paid developers, with mods like Ancient Empires, Forgotten Realms or Fall of the Eagles able to overshadow for long their expansion packs and updates (and nope I donīt accept the excuse that the modders have more time than CA because in this case Rome II is five years old already, and after the success of Warhammer TW they have now much more teams working in their new games. And if you aren't still convicing for my arguments please take a look for the magnificent work and much more friendly to the fandom works from Paradox developers.)
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; July 21, 2018 at 04:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast