Thread: BATTLE_MAP_AREAS unhandled situation : see Charlie

Default BATTLE_MAP_AREAS unhandled situation : see Charlie

This error comes up in the error log when open battles crash in a certain part of the campaign map from a mod. Has anyone come across this before?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: BATTLE_MAP_AREAS unhandled situation : see Charlie

'Charlie' is as old as the game. It has never been figured out what exactly triggers it, but impassable terrain appears to be involved, especially in siege battles. An impassable pixel under the settlement perhaps, eg invalid placement (Geomod makes noise about it when tested)?

I tend to see these crashes near settlements, especially if settlements are near rivers, although this is just a trend. Sometimes it happens on terrain with impassable cliffs. I guess Charlie was the mapmaker. Is there a Geomod tutorial touching on this topic?

Blog Entries

Unfortunately not. But if you can open the mod in Geomod then have a look at the area in question with the 'feature' and 'settlements and ports' overlay to identify impassable terrain that could be interfering. Switch the settlement feature on and off to see if there are impassable pixels underneath the white pixel.

It looks like I cannot rep you at the moment but many thanks for your responses. Something about the map became corrupted for some reason, possibly while using Geomod to check things, even though I had not consciously intended to change anything about the map. I had to load a previous version of the submod and start frsh, so it was extra work to redo all the changes but I could not find another way to salvage the map. It might have been easier if I actually knew something about mapping. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

The only map file Geomod automatically corrects is map_heights and only when you run the checker for invalid heights - it converts RGB value 0,0,0 (which looks black but generates water) into 3,3,3 (or was 1,1,1 ?). All other changes require manual input.

There is a possibility that you used Photoshop and saved in a TGA format (default bit value is 24) that Geomod can't handle when trying to save the files on exit.

If encountered this log.
    I dont know if its posted already.
    I think it appears when at battle map is following situation:

A river caused to his path, if it shows two parts of the same river but interrupted,

In the red terrain mark at stratmap when you attack or be attacked.

I dont want to make photo, hope you got it.

I suspect thats the cause.

Greetings