Thread: Non aggressive AI?

Default Non aggressive AI?

I am on turn 230 or so, the Selucids are quite large and just went to war with a large Parthia. I am curious though, I've seen a lot of full stack armies even three near eachother right next to an enemy city and they won't attack it? The AI seems very non aggressive with their actual armies. Is anyone else noticing this?

I'm playing on hard campaign difficult with normal battle. Using AI abritris and cultural tensio, though I disabled the prior and this was still the case.

Default Re: Non aggressive AI?

I use AI arbritris as well but have not noticed a lack of AI aggression. Except maybe from Carthage which is a reoccurring theme in most of my campaigns -Carthage never expands. Other than that, in my current campaign the barbarian factions feel relentless and I am worried about the growing threat Messalia is becoming as they seem to be having more success slogging through barbarian factions than myself.

Laetus

I play on N/N. AI Rome is definitely aggressive, which is nice to see given how vanilla Rome tended to just sit there. Rome expands through all the single-settlement factions surrounding it as if their populations just welcome the legions with open arms instead of resisting. I find that territories in Greece and especially eastwards from there tend to change hands often. When it comes to barbarian factions, however, I see less aggression. Perhaps it's because almost every barbarian faction starts with a single settlement and thus everyone is about equal in strength, but I see a lot of war declarations without any battles. A faction will declare war on another, and then just sit there for 10+ turns before maybe having an inconclusive field battle somewhere.

Aside from Rome's immediate neighbours, Epirus and fairly often Antigonidai being eaten up, all of the faction destroyed and new faction emerging notices I receive involve action going on in Anatolia, Persia and thereabouts. Kartli seems to be DEI's Tokugawa Clan, and vanishes very early pretty much every game.

I've also noticed that Africa is pretty much asleep in each of my campaigns. Ptolemaioi and Seleukidai will have a shoving match in the Levant, but not much changes in Africa itself. Even Qarthadastim never seems to do anything. In a recent game they were at war with Syrakousai for close to a hundred turns (by which time I decided to end that campaign), but not one settlement on Sicily ever changed hands in all that time.

A bit of action goes on in Iberia, but not consistently, and never involving Qarthadastim. Sure, they'll be at war with one or two Iberian factions, but they never actually seem to fight.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by gnosis89 View Post
    I am on turn 230 or so, the Selucids are quite large and just went to war with a large Parthia. I am curious though, I've seen a lot of full stack armies even three near eachother right next to an enemy city and they won't attack it? The AI seems very non aggressive with their actual armies. Is anyone else noticing this?

I'm playing on hard campaign difficult with normal battle. Using AI abritris and cultural tensio, though I disabled the prior and this was still the case.
    Hey buddy.
    You could use this thread for issues like this instead or search for similar posts etc to help us keep the mod's main thread cleaner.
    De AI Arbitriis could cause a somehow stationary situation but @Joysong could elaborate more. Cutlural tensio slows the expansion of the AI as well.

I was meaning to post something like this as well, but I was holding back as I didn`t really play enough after the recent patch (post Aurelian DLC).

However in what I did play, the AI is HORRIBLY passive. Absolutely horribly.

In a campaign which used to be the pinnacle of difficulty in TW games (Scordisci on VH), I`m 30 turns in, and the AI refuses to attack me+ it doesn`t really seem to be attacking each other.

Overall, I think CA has messed with the AI again, and I think for the worse.

Also, after a few turns, I added the Hardcore mod (AI only), and it didn`t help at all.

I`ll post more after I have tested this more thoroughly.

On the contrary of what people report I started a H/N Macedonian campaign where I had a DOW from Aetolian (rnd 2), Athens (rnd 3), Sparta a bit later and when I eradicated Aetolians, I have Tylis and a bit later Odrysians against me. At some point where I was trying to find a balance in all this Epirus joins the party. Not only that but Aedui conquer Triballi and immediately declare war on me. After some turns Ptolemaioi joins my enemies, while some turns down the road I have Seleucids (who are in war with ...Ptolemaioi) declaring war too. I was like being hated by everyone neighboring me (!).

The epitome of this 'new AI' behavior was freeing Triballi frome Aedui then having Triballi dow on me after two turns (with relationship being in high green) lol.

*To clarify all the aforementioned nations attacked me regularly (except the far ones, Ptolemaioi and Seleucids) and had to give numerous fights, ultimately I lost.

TLDR: I really can't see a passive AI there.
    Last edited by john909; December 30, 2017 at 01:15 PM.

Its almost as if its mostly random and a weighted dice roll...oh wait it is

I will be doing a bit of tweaking to the AI attack decisions. We changed some things to fix the AI suiciding attack bug and one of the things I changed was probably not necessary to address the issue.
    Last edited by Dresden; December 30, 2017 at 02:14 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

The thing isn't necessarily the AI declaring war, it's actually utilizing its armies.

I am on around turn 240, and allied with the Seleucids. They have been at war with Parthia to the east, who is just as large as they are now. And I can see that Parthia has had around 5 full stack armies just sitting next to Seleucid cities, either doing nothing, or the occasional raiding. Much of the time they are suffering attrition too....

I set some of the AI attack priorities closer to vanilla in the last update due to that AI suicide attack issue we had going on (as was being discussed here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...06-Campaign-ai ). I will revert some of those changes in the next update since I believe that bug was actually from something else introduced by CA in patch 18 that we fixed.
    Last edited by Dresden; December 31, 2017 at 07:04 PM.

Would it also be possible to change the percentage of the AI liberating settlements, they usually liberate instead of occupying.

i get a nice balance of everything in my playthrough as Pontus in H/N:
    The agressive side of the new AI really shines in the first 20 turn or so, where they constanly at wat with each other and seek to expand their territory: Hayasdan declared war on me, they wipep out my main army in an ambush and threatened my capital, only to find that Sinope, Galatia and Seleucid declared war on them. Eventually Hayasdan was defeated, and Kartli decided to turn against me, dragging 2 of its other allies to join them, while i was busying counter these new threats, Galatia turned against Sinope and erradicated them, while to the east of me, Lydia captured most of its neigboring settlements.And i'm still waiting to see more...

The only passive thing the AI did is Sinope when they keep one their army in my land for like 5 turn in one place virtually doing nothing even when their capital had fallen

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Imperator View Post
    Would it also be possible to change the percentage of the AI liberating settlements, they usually liberate instead of occupying.
    This should be dependent on culture type but is also fairly random.

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal61095 View Post
    The agressive side of the new AI really shines in the first 20 turn or so, where they constanly at wat with each other and seek to expand their territory

The only passive thing the AI did is Sinope when they keep one their army in my land for like 5 turn in one place virtually doing nothing even when their capital had fallen
    This matches my experience as well. Early game it's fantastic but later on it feels like the ai just goes to take a nap.

I think it's mostly because their armies constantly bug out or get stuck. I wish I knew what causes it because I think fixing those issues would make mid/game a lot less boring.

I have heard that changing your AI movement view options can fix this issue, I don't know how true it is. But changing for one turn from Limited to Full or whatever for viewing AI moves was reported to help bump them back into action.

Thanks, I'll try that.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by gnosis89 View Post
    The thing isn't necessarily the AI declaring war, it's actually utilizing its armies.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Imperator View Post

De AI Arbitriis
    submod changes these parameters a lot.