Thread: O Poveste Rumânească: Traian și Natia [A Wallachian Tale: Traian and Natia]

Default O Poveste Rumânească: Traian și Natia [A Wallachian Tale: Traian and Natia]

Disclaimer
    I've chosen to post this here rather than the AAR section because, despite this being the story of a ruler I played in Crusader Kings II and despite the story being almost completely faithful to what happened in-game, this account is not meant to showcase the game, the gameplay or the run itself. The run I had, the fact that I played, is just a mean to tell this story. All the screenshots are again not meant to showcase the game or a particular gameplay effort (this was my second ever run anyway), but they just serve the purpose of bringing a visual aspect to the world we're in.

Premise
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• This is a story I've rewritten from an original unfinished AAR posted on the Paradox forum.
    • I'm neither an English nor Romanian native speaker. Please feel free to point out my mistakes, even minutiae.
    • I'm not a history buff and I don't mind something ahistorical here and there. But if it's a bit too ridiculous/silly let me know and I'll correct it.
    • I had to abort this CK run due to health (I was born with the "sickly" trait...) and PC problems. My PC is one foot from the dumpster anyway and I'm not going to post any other stuff from this run before actually completing it.

Introduction

Traian was born on May 11th, 876 in Severin to the first Șef Rumânilor [Chief of the Rumâni (Vlachs)] Traian cel Rumân [Traian "the Rumân"] and his second wife Kyra, a Graikós [Greek] courtier from the Basileía Rhomaíon [(Eastern) Roman Empire]. Traian cel Rumân ("Șef Traian" from now on) is one of the most controversial rulers of the Rumân people, being the first to rule his tribe as a recognised people inside the Bulgarian Empire, but also regarded as one of the less suited for the role: in fact, Șef Traian was a shepherd who had been invested Șef at only 16 years of age.

Șef Traian (b. circa 851 probably in the Southern Carpathians), 16 years old Chief of the Rumân tribe located in 867 in the region of Oltenia. A trained fighter and an honest man.

Soon after the death of Kyra, Șef Traian met his third wife Borena during one of his escapades on his native Southern Carpathian mountains: after inadvertently trespassing into Transylvanian territory he noticed that a delegation with unknown insignia was attending at a meeting with local nobles from Fehér while a courtier was apart combing her hair, sitting alone on a rock. Șef Traian embraced her waist and abducted her, disappearing on the mountains. Not much is known about what happened next, but we know that despite having to sidetrack the ensuing manhunt the couple ended up having a most pleasant afternoon, sheltering in the cracks of the mountains, feeding chamois and even a lynx. At night, Șef Traian surrendered to the Transylvanian guards and asked for the woman's hand to the foreign nobleman, the Kartveli [Georgian] Duke from Kartli.

Borena (b. March 3rd, 859 in Klarjeti) with her first husband Ashot Bagrationi (b. 856, d. July 7th, 880) and their infant daughter Natia. A slothful and gluttonous, but honest, trusting and patient woman with an excellent education in stewardship, a much needed feature for a tribe like the Rumâni located in one of the poorest lands of the Bulgarian Empire.

When Borena came back from Kartli to marry Șef Traian and live with the Rumân tribe, she brought a "surprise" from her native Klarjeti: her 1 year old daughter Natia - born into the prestigious House Bagrationi to Borena and the Aznauri [Count] Ashot of Klarjeti who died soon after - whose existence was unknown to Șef Traian. After «crushing into Natia's lovely little muzzle» he promptly decided to adopt her.

Natia Ashotshvili Bagrationi (b. November 11th, 879 in Klarjeti) immediately hit Șef Traian with her lovely eyes and cleverness. Indeed, she was reported many times as a person capable of quick understanding.

Since Borena wanted Natia to preserve her native Kartveli culture, the little girl kept coming and going from the Rumân court to her native one until she reached 12 years of age. Traian and Natia get along wonderfully since the first days they met and immediately became close friends. As Traian later recalled in his diary: «I will never forget those times when every time she arrived she began to run through the whole village, that unique voice shouting: "Biči biči!" ["Boy boy!", Kartvelian] and if I was in my room trying to take a nap, then: "Mamiko unde biči?!" ["Dad where boy?!", mixed Rumân and Kartvelian; "Mamiko" will be the word Natia will always use to refer to Șef Traian for her whole life], and my father trying to explain her that I was sleeping [...] When I was 14 they informed me that I was betrothed to Natia since the day Borena married my father. It was a relief, and my cheeks hurted a whole week for how big my smile was.​ She was my best friend and the only person I would have wanted into my life.»

Traian (b. May 11th, 876 in Severin), first son of Șef Traian cel Rumân. At 16 years of age he was already recognised as a brilliant strategist and a cavalry leader. A honest man like his father, he was ambitious and brave, but also stubborn. Borena loved to cook for him and indeed he loved to eat with her.

Next up, who knows when: the early life of Traian and Natia and how they came to be what they will be.

Default Re: O Poveste Rumânească: Traian și Natia [A Wallachian Tale: Traian and Natia]

Let's see if you like this short introduction and whether I should continue or not...

I'm not really a worldbuilder, but... if you have questions about the story (so far) I'll try to answer!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: O Poveste Rumânească: Traian și Natia [A Wallachian Tale: Traian and Natia]

I like your introduction! I hope that you will continue.

Your story has got me interested in your characters. I like the way that Borena has both negative attributes (slothful, gluttunous) and positive ones (honest, trusting, patient, educated in stewardship). I imagine that these attributes, together with any complications which could be caused by the "surprise" which she brings with her from Klarjeti, could lead to some great story-lines. I wonder how Natia's family history will affect her development - for example, I wonder how she will be treated by her adopted father and whether Borena's attributes will affect her (will Natia decide to be different from Borena, for example?).

You wrote that "The run I had, the fact that I played, is just a mean to tell this story". This statement could also apply to my Ireland AAR and my Haiti AAR, which are in the Empire Total War AARs forum. This does not mean that your story has to move into an AAR forum. I am simply saying that AARs can include stories based on a campaign, when the campaign is simply a means to tell the story.

Hey, thank you for your answer, it's encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Your story has got me interested in your characters. I like the way that Borena has both negative attributes (slothful, gluttunous) and positive ones (honest, trusting, patient, educated in stewardship). I imagine that these attributes, together with any complications which could be caused by the "surprise" which she brings with her from Klarjeti, could lead to some great story-lines. I wonder how Natia's family history will affect her development - for example, I wonder how she will be treated by her adopted father and whether Borena's attributes will affect her (will Natia decide to be different from Borena, for example?).
    Well I can tell you without spoiling anything that Natia has been adopted when she was 1 year old, she called Șef Traian "Mamiko" (dad) her whole life and she considers him her dad, since she grew with him as the paternal figure. Borena is a quiet woman; I didn't want to go deep into pre-Traian history, but Șef Traian had many difficulties and the emersion of the Rumâni/Vlachs (by the way, Wallachia/Vlach is insulting, we use Rumân ) hasn't been peaceful. She and Natia mainly brought that quiet that Traian needed, so Borena is definitely meant to be a behind-the-scenes character. Natia on the other hand... Traian and Natia will grow up differently anyway, but maybe (I hope) not as you would expect

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    You wrote that "The run I had, the fact that I played, is just a mean to tell this story". This statement could also apply to my Ireland AAR and my Haiti AAR, which are in the Empire Total War AARs forum. This does not mean that your story has to move into an AAR forum. I am simply saying that AARs can include stories based on a campaign, when the campaign is simply a means to tell the story.
    Yes, being new to this forum Caillagh de Bodemloze approached me and I asked him what's the line that divides an AAR from a writing and he answered me that it's not easy... so I decided to post here explaining my reasoning so the mods can maybe explain me better. Thank you for the tip however!

Thank you again for your kind message!

I really like this aar .I like how she wants to preserve her culture .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorOfNothing View Post
    Yes, being new to this forum Caillagh de Bodemloze approached me and I asked him what's the line that divides an AAR from a writing and he answered me that it's not easy... so I decided to post here explaining my reasoning so the mods can maybe explain me better. Thank you for the tip however!
    Yeah, that sounds like my style - I'm always ready to offer advice, but there's no guarantee any of it will be useful!

It's good to see you here.

You've made a great start, I think. You've given us some interesting characters, and there's the promise of more interesting characters in the next chapter. I like the way you've shown us Traian's view of Natia through his diary entry, and I think it gives us a good picture of what Natia was like when she was little.

I'll look forward to more!

Hey, thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    I really like this aar .I like how she wants to preserve her culture .
    Well, I hope there will be also something more that you will like

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like my style - I'm always ready to offer advice, but there's no guarantee any of it will be useful!

It's good to see you here.

You've made a great start, I think. You've given us some interesting characters, and there's the promise of more interesting characters in the next chapter. I like the way you've shown us Traian's view of Natia through his diary entry, and I think it gives us a good picture of what Natia was like when she was little.

I'll look forward to more!
    Nah you've been useful! The line between an AAR and a plain writing is very thin. On a second thought, tho... this writing will be hardly "creative". Well we'll see... I'll try to write something more as soon as today.

But please everybody, be honest like the Rumâni I've already written here how hard of an effort is to me to write in English, so I'm aware that I'm not very good... help me underlining what's bad more than what's good please!

Early Life
    [1/2]

The tribe and the Council
    All the difficulties Șef Traian had in ruling the Rumân tribe resulted in the power being for most of the time in the hands of the Council, a sort of advisory assembly of Șef Traian's most trusted and skilled men. The Council de facto ruled in place of Șef Traian for many years, especially after he accepted the role of Tsar's marshal and began to spend most of his time in the Empire's capital Tarnovo, located in front of Rumâni's main village Severin on the other shore of the Dunărea [Danube]. Borena developed a very tight, exclusive and intimate relationship with Șef Traian and kept coming and going from Severin to Tarnovo, while their children stayed in Severin. Șef Traian and Borena also shared a deep love for Ovidiu, a poet Șef Traian considered Rumân, so deep that they decided to name their beloved second son (Șef Traian's third) after him.

A map of the lands inside the Bulgarian Empire with the Rumân ones labeled as "Severin". Originally the Rumâni inhabited the region of Oltenia but soon after the investiture by Tsar Boris Șef Traian claimed for its people the whole Muntenia as well, a goal now near to be achieved.
    Traian and Natia thus grew up in the Rumân villages and were explicitly authorised by a Șef Traian's ad hoc decree to take active part in the Council since their childhood. Having the chance to grow up alongside those skillful and clever men - a group that will leave a mark in the history of their people for their ability - will prove to be a decisive piece of their growth and education. They also had the chance to share the life of the tribe, building a reputation for themselves and learning the everyday issues of their people. While Traian was more concerned about his future rulership and military matters, Natia shared many similarities with her mother, like her quiet and silent temperament, but proved to be much more active and daring. "Fata Kartveli" [the Kartveli girl] quickly became "Natuța" [little Natia], a girl loved by the tribe, always ready to help to pick up hay or become all dirty on the muddiest Dunărea shores. With time, Natia grew more knowledgeable in Rumân matters than Traian, so much that she became Șef Traian's most trusted person and co-regent. Traian grew up with the military teachings of one of the most valiant generals in the whole Rumân's history, Dorin Selimovici, an abandoned Rumân child probably from Bosnia and himself a tutee of another legendary general, Șef Traian's first ever marshal Valeriu Zách. Thanks to his teachings, Traian earned for himself a reputation of brilliant strategist and learned how to best lead cavalry. The tribe, the Council, Traian himself... nobody had doubts, he was destined to be the Rumâni's "The Great".

An untamed, tempestuous nature carved by the Caucasian winds toned down by temperate, content, silent behaviours, this foreign little girl earned a special place in the tribe's heart. Natia was captivating: her attitude was loved, her eyes dreaded and her words carefully listened. No wonder this girl was regarded as an inspiring leader and a brilliant strategist.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I like the description you're giving us of Natia's character - her willingness to help with any job that needs doing, and so on. So far, we seem to have less of a picture of Traian. Will we be hearing more about his character?

I do very much like what you've been doing so far, though.

(Oh, and thank you for the map. Those are helpful!)

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    I like the description you're giving us of Natia's character - her willingness to help with any job that needs doing, and so on. So far, we seem to have less of a picture of Traian. Will we be hearing more about his character?

I do very much like what you've been doing so far, though.

(Oh, and thank you for the map. Those are helpful!)
    Thank you I think I have to learn how to layout and how to edit comments... I'm too old for this Internet thing.

Even if you're writing more with your kindness than with your judgment, I appreciate that you try to support this community body and soul

Sure, next time there'll be a brief resume of the events Traian and Natia had to face during Şef Traian's leadership, then Traian will take the Şef duties at the death of his father.

The Best of Luck's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorOfNothing View Post

. The tribe, the Council, Traian himself... nobody had doubts, he was destined to be the Rumâni's "The Great".

I like the foreshadowing here!I also like the links you've added in order to bring some background into the piece. Good start and looking forward to seeing more!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I'm enjoying Traian and Natia, I notice that they are both described as brilliant strategists, so I look forward to seeing their strategic thinking in action.