Thread: Perspective

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default Perspective

Hey all; have you ever been reading over one of your stories in first/third person and suddenly realised it would be so much better in the other?

What did you do about it? Did you change it? Or continue?

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Perspective

I have a WIP novel, written in 1st person present (I walk, I see him do that...) I had a very good reason for it. The story involves a lot of action and the chosen perspective worked well to give the reader the notion it's happening right before his eyes. That said, going into future projects I realized my main character is telling a story from a point in the future and a 1st person past would make more sense. The choice is still open but I will probably reserve the 1st person present for another story.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

When writing in 3rd person I often find I'd be able to convey a lot more emotion and personality if it was coming from one perspective, however I find in general I can get more detail across in 3rd person. I guess it depends on what you are after.

Personally even I find 1st person would be better I stick too 3rd person because overtime it has become my preferred method of writing and I know in the long-term it'll be easier, especially for something like Of Souls where I had a lot of world-building to incorporate into the story. A little trick I sometimes do if I feel 1st person would work better is write it out like that and then go over and change it to 3rd person once I've written it, replacing things like 'I' with 'he' or the characters name alongside any required tense changes etc. to make sure it makes sense - this way I can hopefully deliver on the benefits of 1st person whilst keeping it in-line with my on-going style and add other bits of information as and when needed.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    When writing in 3rd person I often find I'd be able to convey a lot more emotion and personality if it was coming from one perspective, however I find in general I can get more detail across in 3rd person. I guess it depends on what you are after.

Personally even I find 1st person would be better I stick too 3rd person because overtime it has become my preferred method of writing and I know in the long-term it'll be easier, especially for something like Of Souls where I had a lot of world-building to incorporate into the story. A little trick I sometimes do if I feel 1st person would work better is write it out like that and then go over and change it to 3rd person once I've written it, replacing things like 'I' with 'he' or the characters name alongside any required tense changes etc. to make sure it makes sense - this way I can hopefully deliver on the benefits of 1st person whilst keeping it in-line with my on-going style and add other bits of information as and when needed.
    This may be one of the most useful things I have ever read! I never thought to do that, it never even occurred to me. I'll try it out and let you know how it goes!

Thank you, to you both.

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

No worries Tig, hope it works for you.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE