Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by martin4 View Post
    Playing as Rome and there is little issue in objectives where they tell me that I should recruit army in particular city but city name is city that I dont have.
    Have you seen this with another faction too ? Probably a wrong objective's entry.

I've played only as Rome so can't say.

The objectives often list a region that the city is in - some regions have different names from their cities.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    No because your units would walk forward even if you want them to stand in place. In fact it might even cancel any order you give to that unit.
    So they would advance in line? The player could advance also though. Battles are too static and defensive anyway. Anyway can we get a submod to test out the AI’s battle effectiveness with this ability? I would LOVE to test it. Anything to make the AI use a real pike line. Could be great fun and difficulty fighting pikes. Thanks KAM!
    Last edited by JCB206; May 05, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

You don't get what I say ;P It does not work for AI and for the player as passive would mean all your orders are canceld and your troops would move forward until they hit the end of the map since they would ignore your orders.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

I think what KAM is saying, is that if that button is activate, the AI army will spawn and just continuously advance forward forever. And if the AI gave a unit an attack order, it would cancel and just keep walking foward. Talk about a "Static" fight, the AI would literally use no tactics, just constantly walk forward. And from how it sounds, would never turn either. Would always walk from north to south, or east to west, or whichever direction they spawned towards.

It would be great if the AI could use something like this CORRECTLY, once engaged. But they wont. The AI would need to be build from the ground up with this idea in mind, and they werent.

Patrician

No, AI would just ignore the button but for the player it would mean you lose control of your troops and they will move forward forever.

I just have no idea why it affects onyly player and not the AI. For example if your general will use one of his skills, your hoplites and pikes will also reform and do a step forward.

Hmm, if you consider that it was put into practice in a live mod and no one complained about any gamebreaking occurences it's safe to assume that AI simply doesn't use this empty ability.
    And this conversation about it being active is kinda confusing, I thought we were talking about a one-shot type of ability, not a toggle. Or using certain tabletop terminology, it's a sorcery, not an enchantment.

Any planes on making Judah playable in the Imperator Augustus campaign? I have been reading The Army of Herod the Great and thought it would be interesting to play them. I have seen that you have add a few factions in the other campaigns too. If you aren't to busy.

Civis

Maybe a submod, or main mod request. It seems the gap between IV and V imperium is very dramatic. As Rome, I've conquered all of Italy, Cisalpine, all of France and half of Spain and finally hit imperium lvl 5. It seems you need to conquer a huge mass for it to hit. Maybe reduce it by 15%. Conquering half the map, to hit it seems unnecessary.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Furgon View Post
    Hmm, if you consider that it was put into practice in a live mod and no one complained about any gamebreaking occurences it's safe to assume that AI simply doesn't use this empty ability.
    And this conversation about it being active is kinda confusing, I thought we were talking about a one-shot type of ability, not a toggle. Or using certain tabletop terminology, it's a sorcery, not an enchantment.
    We were discussing something else. I think JCB or someone else suggested making this ability passive, which I later explained why it would be a horrible idea from how it would work engine-wise. Having this as simple clickable ability is ok.

It was me. I thought it was an explained as a way to make the AI use a pike line to advance as one to stop the AI from moving the battle line in separate individual units. KAM stated that the AI would not use it. Then I suggested the possibility to make the AI start the battle with it ON. Then he stated that this would just cause the battle line to continue to move forward, regardless of commands, which was disappointing to learn.

I check suggestions constantly to see if there might be even a remote possibility for the AI’s battle line will advance as one unit, as it would in reality. (Minus the exceptions of well trained armies with great officer and NCO corps.)

I win most of my battles because my battle line holds its ground and allows me to win on a flank. If I used my pikes separately, I would lose too.

Thanks to all.

Patrician

Yeah, I tried different solutions but always AI ignroes them and does not advance forward. I even made it so that AI would try to advance forward each 30 seconds but you can guess...it did not.

It is sad but if there is a way, I believe you will find it. I just have to believe that CA left an opening somewhere in the group commands or something. Thank you for all your work KAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Wolf View Post
    Any planes on making Judah playable in the Imperator Augustus campaign? I have been reading The Army of Herod the Great and thought it would be interesting to play them. I have seen that you have add a few factions in the other campaigns too. If you aren't to busy.
    This is a faction I've always wanted to play as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Wolf View Post
    Not sure, since we're currently between a few big updates.

Are the Seleucids, Bactrians and Epirus going to have short-pikes? Right now they don't, and as successor states, I would have thought they'd have access to those.

Patrician

They did not field them. They were guard units, not standard units.

I'm surprised. I'm under the impression that the short pikes were what Alexander used, but the successors favored long pikes to fight each other, so I thought they'd have some sort of access to them. The thing is, I don't think the successors have access to them as elite guard units that use 1st class citizens either though. Unless the custom match doesn't show them?
    Last edited by CadetNewb; May 08, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

The Successors have a much different approach to pike phalanx than Alexander's mixed units. They surely favor the longer sarissa model.
    As for the class, are you reporting that they use 1st tier citizens ? I'll have to check that.