Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TELL US

Icon8 TELL US

Hy guys

I am wondering if the campaing will be relased this week/month/year

I think you too.

and nobody from mod devs dont tell anything , so why is so secret ?
    or is just about people hungry to see updates and making trafic on mod link and youtube channel

Is there anyone who think exactly like me and is thinking if there si more to wait until relase and until that point the man with youtube chanal make money on our back ?

is just a question treat it like it is
    is not any kind of acusation or something like that
    bbbbut i want the AE not custom battel

PS dont bann me !

Default Re: TELL US

If AE knew when they'd release, they'd tell us when they are releasing. There's no secret. The mod just isn't ready and if they released their campaign right this instant you would probably be incredibly disappointed.

They don't know when they are going to release. If you are assuming that they are sitting on top of an already completed mod and are refusing to release it, then you're mistaken.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

I think the team has been very open with their communication. We can't just demand they stick to the schedule we want and do what we want. There are plenty of people who are enjoying the custom battles right now (myself included), and speaking as someone who mods campaigns, all but the most minor changes can take a lot of work to get right.

they say 30 sept then after waiting a week thei give us only battle .... and they dont tell anything about relase .... i dont want the relase right now i want to know when i should look for it,....

and they were very open with comunication they say hi the mod is altmost 50 % take the custom battle and come back in 12 month; dont verify each day if is a update or dont ...

Quote Originally Posted by alexu4326 View Post
    they say 30 sept then after waiting a week thei give us only battle .... and they dont tell anything about relase .... i dont want the relase right now i want to know when i should look for it,....

and they were very open with comunication they say hi the mod is altmost 50 % take the custom battle and come back in 12 month; dont verify each day if is a update or dont ...
    Part of the issue is that determining how complete the mod is and how much longer it'll take to get to a releasable stage is difficult. Really, either it's done or it's not, and especially for a modder where finding free time is difficult, determining how long something will take is a very tough ask!

Another side of the issue is that the AE team doesn't have a dedicated community management guy. All their members are busy trying to create a mod, and when you have to toss between spending a few hours working on the mod or spending a few hours writing up an update and asking each team member of their progress, work on the mod is almost always going to come first.

On that note, they'd probably happily accept for somebody to join their team and to do that stuff for them, because it is a seriously time-consuming thing to do at any reasonably high-quality level.
    Last edited by Causeless; October 10, 2016 at 09:29 AM.

(scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

We dont pissing know m8, before 2017.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

@alexu4326: you may not know how much work it entails to mod a campaign
    There´s several hundreds of database entries to work on, UI elements to create and implement and that´s just the easy part of it.
    There´s also ESF modding, which is so complex we´re still far away from knowing what every entry in the whole damn thing means.
    Couple that with not loosing any kind of overview one has and it´s a shitton of work.
    And now to top it of the irregular amount of time one can spend on what´s basically a hobby further limits how fast they can do this.

The pace at which they´ve progressed so far is really astonishing as it is.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Willhelm123 View Post
    We dont pissing know m8, before 2017.
    lol.. but just waiting

Civis

It's all cool and great everybody backs up the devs, but they gave a first launch date which included the campaign. Obviously, they didn't make due on their date what is understandable since it is all volunteer work etc, but now they released the custom battle mod only, why are they doing so secretive about the campaign release? It was included in the first release date why not give a good estimation when it could be done?Kinda pissed me off as well we have no goddamn clue when to expect this feature.

Anyways I didn't download the mod yet, as I will only play this for campaign purposes, so as you can understand I am eager to download the campaign as soon as possible. But I have no clue when to play this grand mod. Cheers
    I'm from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by Nastaroth View Post
    It's all cool and great everybody backs up the devs, but they gave a first launch date which included the campaign. Obviously, they didn't make due on their date what is understandable since it is all volunteer work etc, but now they released the custom battle mod only, why are they doing so secretive about the campaign release? It was included in the first release date why not give a good estimation when it could be done?Kinda pissed me off as well we have no goddamn clue when to expect this feature.

Anyways I didn't download the mod yet, as I will only play this for campaign purposes, so as you can understand I am eager to download the campaign as soon as possible. But I have no clue when to play this grand mod. Cheers
    They gave a launch date and they missed it. There's not really much that can be said for it. They aren't sitting on some complete campaign and deciding to withhold it, they are actively working to try and get something playable out of the door ASAP.

What should the AE team do to make up for missing the release date? Should they give another release date when it's too early to know, and risk missing that too? What are they ideally supposed to do in this situation?

Also remember that if you want the mod to release sooner, you can actively participate in that. Send them a message and offer to help them and the mod could release sooner and better than it otherwise would. I'm as excited to play AE as the rest of you and I'd be helping with the mod right now if they hadn't explicitly barred my work from being used in the mod.
    Last edited by Causeless; October 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yeah, demanding a release date, even estimated from unpaid guys who work in their free time is not the best thing to do. When you give release date, you try to rush things to stick to it or postpone it to another (probably) unachievable date. NOT giving the release date is best thing to do and only offering YOUR OWN FREE TIME to make things faster will help the team. When I work on DeI or my other mods, I often make a mistake that I will get a pack ready to this and that date but in 3/4 of the cases I am not able, since some random thing happens and I can't mod for few days or even weeks. Campaign overhaul is especially complex as you need pretty much EVERYTHING working from start, otherwise it will be unplaybale and all feedback useless. In case of battles you can release parts of it and then slowly work on bugs, but in case of campaign, it must be done fully as it will be allover broken or simply crash very often.

Believe me guys, if AE team is not giving you the date, it is simply becasue THEY CARE and they want to deliver the best experience possible.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

reffan's Avatar Laetus

To be completely honest, giving out any release date in regards of campaign was a big mistake on their part. Without it, there would be much less pressure on them.

Just one thing that is weird. Yes, the mod devs are not getting paid. But why do they have a manner of releasing that is essentially a games way of releasing. You dont have to polish a first release of a MOD. Its a mod not a game. Its somewhat a double standard (not getting paid but they polish it which is not needed for a MOD). It is just weird, even a teaser trailer and closed testing phases. My advise: Dont be so scared of people who whine & insult when a mod has bugs or other issues. Its a game modification not a AAA game release..

Patrician

I think you underestimate the amount of people who would bascially flood their threads since they would not understand that in early release something is not working. If you were never a part of big overhaul mod, you will not understand in how good shape campaign needs to be for the release. If campaign is not working or is crashing, then feedback would be useless as creators would be aware of it if they would release unfinished campaign. If you are unaware of how people would react to unfinished campaign, just check out Medieval Kingdoms (which never said that the release will have campaign!) posts on steam and I mean not those related to problems with units textures, hell, even on TWC it is sometimes not much better. For example, after each release of DeI, for the next month or two, I spend around 1-2 hours daily just to reply to the comments, while guys like Dresden also respond on TWC, Steam and other forums, which takes up a lot of time, that could have been used for further work on the mod.

I said it once, I will say it again, there is absolutly ZERO reasons to publish unfinished campaign. It would do a lot more bad then good.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; October 10, 2016 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seresox View Post
    Just one thing that is weird. Yes, the mod devs are not getting paid. But why do they have a manner of releasing that is essentially a games way of releasing. You dont have to polish a first release of a MOD. Its a mod not a game. Its somewhat a double standard (not getting paid but they polish it which is not needed for a MOD). It is just weird, even a teaser trailer and closed testing phases. My advise: Dont be so scared of people who whine & insult when a mod has bugs or other issues. Its a game modification not a AAA game release..
    Well, they cannot win there really. If a mod team doesn't release a trailer or give updates, they are argued as being overly secretive, whereas if they do they are accused of hyping up and of "playing game developers".

I honestly think the reason they haven't released a campaign yet is because it's not playable. For example, and I hope I will not get flak for saying this given my standing with the team, but I was informed that their campaign currently crashes after ending the first turn when all of the components for their campaign are put together. Some parts required for their vision of a playable campaign are not done. The campaign is not released because it's not done and because it's not completely playable, and I don't think that's something they are trying to keep secret. It's just a fact of modding.

Now certainly they could still release right now in this stage, but that's just going to cause a catastrophe. When it is said that a mod is released, people expect to be able to start it up and be able to actually play something. If a mod releases and it turns out to crash on the first turn, many people aren't going to be particularly graceful and understanding.

I'd also remember that the AE team did release something. They released what they had playable at that stage, which are the custom battles. They've given out what they can so far, and I believe they'll give out more in the future when they have a minimum viable product there.
    Last edited by Causeless; October 10, 2016 at 11:15 AM.

_Tyr_'s Avatar Civis

But this is not even the issue. I think they would give us pre-Alpha campaign or at least to a bunch of testers. The thing is that the campaign is literally in pieces. Every member who's working in it has his stuff maybe more or less ready, but they are working on putting everything together. Before that, there simply is no working campaign, not even a bare one. So they gave us all they had somewhat ready and that have been the custom battles. Thats at least how I understood it.

Sure though, in retrospect they maybe should not have set a release date in the first place, but thats easy to say now.

When they didn't release the campaign I was upset and mad because that's what I will enjoy the most but I understand at the same time why they wouldn't release a incomplete campaign.

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Seresox View Post
    I've released 3 major overhaul mods and 10s of minor mods in my modding career. On the overhauls i always did early alpha releases, the word alpha or beta was slapped all over the mod, and yet the amount of people crying that it was broken or unfinished and thus a bad mod was astounding. There's a dedicated core following of mods who do understand, but then theres a much larger audience who loosely follow or only just heard about it, find the download and expect a complete product.

In any case the first campaign release still won't be 100% and polished, we just want it functional. The reasons it isn't released yet is simply that, it isn't functional, core aspects of the campaign are not yet implemented. When it's functional, even if it isn't entirely balanced or fleshed out, we'll release it with a big fat BETA VERSION stuck all over it. Your player feedback is incredibly valuable to us in terms of balancing anyway so we need that.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Civis

It doesn't make sense to give the release date at first which includes the campaign, and after they didn't hit the release date, to say they have no ETA on when the campaign is going to be released. There is no logic in it. But it is fine. I'll check in some months it will be up by then.
    I'm from Holland

Patrician

They said that there will be no campaign even before the first release date was reached. It is not like they did that on the day of the release. So please, do not write something that is untrue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast