Thread: How to enhance pike animations

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Default How to enhance pike animations

This question might be a bit specific:

As you can see from the image above, When walking in guarde mode, front rank pikemen use a particuar animation, wich i find to be better than the normal one.

So, i would like to replace the animation on the left with the animation (already existing) on the right:

How can i do?
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Default Re: How to enhance pike animations

Good point, hope that is possible.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The Non-Combat section of the M2TW_Pike entry in descr_skeleton has three stand animations (stand_A, Stand_B, stand_C) - it stands to reason one if these is the one you are looking for. I am no expert on animations, but I would think that setting all three versions to the same A, B or C cas files should get you what you want.
    You obviously will have to re-generate your animations after that change - my money is on the A version to be the one you are looking for. Copying that section and then doing a simple search and replace action would seem the easiest (and safest) way to change the entries, example:

Search for: MTW2_Spear_stand_B
    Replace with: MTW2_Spear_stand_A

Copy back after action.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

I get a cdt when i try. This is what i did:

-I deleted the skeleton and animation .pack and idx. files
    -I set the "no_animdb = true" configuration
    -i changed the descr_skeleton, replacing the animations.

What can this cdt depend on?
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Blog Entries

I am no big expert on animations, but if memory serves you require the default animations as well when generating new animations, either in the mod's animation folder or the main game's folder.

There should be a step by step tutorial on how to generate animations.

Edit: did you edit the animation section outside the descr_skeletons file? There is always a chance that you may otherwise change an entry somewhere else if you do a 'search\replace' operation - that's why I mentioned 'copying and then doing..'
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 26, 2016 at 08:15 AM.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

The strange thing is that some time ago i was able to add marka horse animations in game and now i get a cdt whenever i try to regenerate the skeleton and animation pack, even without having modyfied the descr_skeleton file...i assume i managed to add them by manually repacking those files, using the pack animation batch...so i try to modify the export skeleton file and to manually repack the skeleton and animations packs: i had no crash, but i didn't have any change in pikemen animation either...that's a bit frustrating. I think i'd better rely on someone more experienced than me in this field.

Anyway thanks for your help Gigantius, i really appreciate it.

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Edit: Rafkos (not sure, ask Quintus who does the animations) over at EBII is pretty good.

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

I think the first thing you should do is to clean your data folder or simpy reinstall everything. It's just to make sure you don't have any modified/unused data. Then you should download and extract MTW2 animations so you get all the source files.
    I just checked and all you have to do in descr_skeleton is just to replace these letters to A
    Code:
    anim		stand_b_idle												data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_idle.cas								-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_idle.evt
    anim		stand_b_hf_idle_1											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_hf_idle_1.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_hf_idle_1.evt
    anim		stand_b_hf_idle_2											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_hf_idle_2.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_hf_idle_2.evt
    anim		stand_b_hf_idle_3											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_hf_idle_3.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_hf_idle_3.evt
    anim		stand_b_lf_idle_1											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_lf_idle_1.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_lf_idle_1.evt
    anim		stand_b_lf_idle_2											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_lf_idle_2.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_lf_idle_2.evt
    anim		stand_b_lf_idle_3											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_lf_idle_3.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_lf_idle_3.evt
    anim		stand_b_to_stand_a											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_stand_A.cas					-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_stand_A.evt
    anim		stand_b_to_stand_c											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_stand_C.cas					-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_stand_C.evt
    anim		stand_b_to_walk												data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_walk.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_walk.evt
    anim		stand_b_to_run												data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_run.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_run.evt
    anim		stand_b_to_ready											data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_ready.cas						-fr		-evt:data/animations/MTW2_Spear/MTW2_Spear_stand_B_to_ready.evt
    Of course make sure that all the files exist (all the chars have same lower/upper case etc). This should give you a raw base as the minority of the animations should look just fine ingame, however there are still transitions like stand/walk walk/run which you will have to treat separately using the trial and error method If you get any errors just post them here and I will try to help.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Thank you Rafkos!
    I'm still having problems though, this is what i did:
    1)I emptied medieval animation folder
    2)I emptied my mod's animation folder and then i put rusichi's animations and skeletons packs in it (i used rusichi's packs because my mod uses its mounts)
    3)I unpacked the animations and skeletons pack using vercingetorix' tool and i modified the descr_skeleton file
    4)then i set the "no_animdb = true" in my mod cfg file and started the game, but i got a cdt

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

3)I unpacked the animations and skeletons pack using vercingetorix' tool and i modified the descr_skeleton file
    This, If I remember correctly all the skeleton/animation extraction tools didn't work as intended for M2TW. My guess would be:
    - delete dat/idx files
    - do not extract any skeletons or animations, just extract an archive with source animations from CA
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3597
    - extract rusichi's animations on it

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Rafkos View Post
    - extract rusichi's animations on it
    In this case, do i have to use the tool made by vercingetorix? that is, do i have to copy-paste rusiki's skeletons and aniations packs in my mod's directory and then run the extractor?

Thanks again for your help

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Aren't they already extracted? If not then I'm not sure how to edit them, you would need an unpacked version.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9300 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

In the past weeks I've been looking for an unpacked version of marka horses animations, but i didn't find it...has anyone idea where could i find it?

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Have you tried unpacking the Rusichi animationas and extracting them manually?