Thread: Is this a bug?

Icon4 Is this a bug?

All over Europe, where I have salt it is called Tobacco, where I have apples it is called "Dogs - Allows creation of dogs of war", where I have honey it is called "Camels - Allows recruitment of Camel units", where I have glass it is called Chocolate.

I recently installed both SS and MTW2, I'm running it on Steam, did I do something wrong? Were some of the files corrupted perhaps? Has anyone seen this before? I'm having sometimes also PC freezes, so it might be related?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this a bug?

It's related to the data\text\string.bin files. By the looks of it your mod uses some files from the americas campaign where tobacco and chocolate is used as description. You may have some luck by deleting the following string.bin files in the data\text folder of the mod - check that a TXT version of the file exists and make sure you don't delete it by accident!

strat.string.bin
    tooltips.string.bin
    shared.string.bin

A new game start will generate new files from the TXT files - hopefully the correct version.

If that fails then open the strat and tooltips TXT files with Notepad and search for those entries. Correct the entry to the right of the bracket, example:

strat
    {SMT_RESOURCE_IRON}Iron

tooltips
    {TMT_IRON_TOOLTIP}Iron - a mining resource
    {TMT_IRON_MINE_TOOLTIP}Iron Mines increase the profit

Save the files and start a new game, your changes should take effect then, if not delete the related string.bin files - make a backup before you do those changes, just in case
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 16, 2016 at 11:50 PM.

I went to the folder and didn't see the bin files but I edited the text files. Started new game and still had mixed up resources.

The bug is related to Steam itself, later I found another thread on this with a much longer discussion and several theories and maybe they have a fix, but since they said it was merely visual, I didn't bother trying to fix it. If you want I could give you the link later on.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Blog Entries

There is a possibility that it is related to the virtual store (file changes don't take effect). I recommend to run this tutorial from step 3 and then delete M2TW folder in the virtual store if it exists.

Hm, looking at it all groups already have full permissions on that folder, and there's nothing Medieval 2 related in Virtual Store.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StrategEyes View Post
    I went to the folder and didn't see the bin files but I edited the text files. Started new game and still had mixed up resources.
    No bin files - did you start the mod once?
    Editing text files - did you edit the files in the mod's data\text folder or the main game's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    No bin files - did you start the mod once? Yes, there are bin files just not those 3.
    Editing text files - did you edit the files in the mod's data\text folder or the main game's? SS6.3 folder.