Thread: Bretonnian Foot Knights

Heljumper117's Avatar Libertus

Default Bretonnian Foot Knights

Hello, would somebody please be able to make Bretonnian foot knights as a unit in game, and then make them useable in campaign plz

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Bretonnian Foot Knights

A true Bretonnian Knight would NEVER be caught dead fighting on foot. What's next, pegasus mounted Orc Boyz?

Heljumper117's Avatar Libertus

[QUOTE=shawn858;14987737]A true Bretonnian Knight would NEVER be caught dead fighting on foot. What's next, pegasus mounted Orc Boyz?[/QUOT

So? I'm asking for a mod... don't want foot knights? Don't download, simple as that, you don't see anyone complaining about the hundreds of unit mods for rome 2 or attila do you? Because alot of those are made up and fictional to history yet nobody cares.

Vanders's Avatar Civis

I think they are just having a bit of fun

It doesn't sound as heretical to me. I mean, you got to be brain damaged to keep riding a horse in a marsh or during a siege. AFAIK, it was never said Brets are glued to their horses or that their vows bind them to horseback fighting, please do correct me if I'm wrong. Of course they are KNIGHTS, but even them (maybe not the Errants, those guys are nuts after all) could dismount to do some monster-hunting in caves and stuff, after all.

Of course a dismount option would be the best thing rather than dismounted units.

Seems everyone is forgetting the knights who have taken a vow of Empathy(I think thats what its called) where they fight on foot. Now that I think about it that may be hero unit only on the TT but well... /shrug

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

The Brettonians are very much a cavalry-focused faction. I think that making them have better infantry would be a dis-service to their lore and really hamper the uniqueness of their playstyle.

The whole idea behind Brettonia is the idea of their chivalrous knights, regal gallantry, divine fervor and faith in the lady, AND the fact that there is this big divide between the upper-class Knights of the Realm and the lowly, but still useful, peasantry. Why add armoured infantry to the Brettonians? Is it to make them "easier" to play? Easier to defend and attack cities with? Because an 80% cav army can be countered fairly easily? I don't think just adding better infantry would be a very clever, nor fun, solution to the issues you seem to be worrying about.

In the tabletop, as far as I'm aware, Brettonian knights have magic to help them in most situations in the form of Wards. Wards already exist in-game, and giving the Brettonians their wards would help set them apart from the cavalry of other factions as well as making them much more threatening on the battlefield. Spears and Pikes wouldn't work as well on the Brettonian cavalry compared to other factions. Make their cavalry tanks. That will make them monsters on the open field, and that is something they should excel at. Imposed with rough terrain? Use Yeoman Archers and Pegasus Knights. Magic could also grant you the limited ability to march through rough terrain with your cavalry.

Sieges should be something that they are not as effective at. Having a faction be a monster on the field AND in sieges would be game-breaking. Instead, have it where the Brettonians try and force the enemy to sally out. Use Lords to challenge other Lords to duels, granting the player the opportunity to weaken the enemy's resolve and fighting effectiveness. Have the Brettonians pray before a siege to give their peasants the much needed leadership to take the walls and gates to let the feared Brettonian Knights in. Sieges should require the player to think tactically. Adding dismounted knights would detract from that. Sure, dismounted knights could be made to be worse than most other factions' heavy infantry, but that kind of goes against how strong and skilled the Knights of Brettonia are, doesn't it?

Make the enemy fear the Brettonian Knights. Make them fear fighting the Brettonians on the field. But most of all, don't make it so that the Brettonians are just as feared in sieges. Every faction has their weakness. For Brettonians, that should be their infantry. Adding elite units to their infantry will weaken that idea; it will weaken the concept of Brettonia's famed cavalry.