Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help make historical battles

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Help make historical battles

A couple of YouTubers have requested players to send in battle replays. I would appreciate if anyone wanted to join to play a couple of battles with a historical context. Obviously, it's not try-hard or anything (I'm not a good player ). We play for fun and the result doesn't matter.

I would also appreciate if anyone have any cool battles to recreate and if you have any cool ideas. Battle of Agincourt?

So yeah. I think it sounds awesome.

How to set this up.

You can either shoot me a Personal Message with your steam name or post it here. I'll try to add you back.

Post which historical battle you wish to take part in. 1 v 1 is easier to arrange, but for large battles we need to coordinate a bit more via Steam. That's the basics of it all.

Just a tip: We can do some really epic battles as well, if you look in the Steam Workshop under Maps. Riverfort, King of the Hill 2.0 and Barbarian Forest are pretty cool.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; August 30, 2016 at 04:39 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Default Re: Help make historical battles

I always enjoyed the idea of doing things like this but haven't really gotten the chance (either bad timezones/I don't feel like playing total war). But I'd be down with anything since this mod since it debuts tomorrow.

Though I don't know about Agincourt (or Crecy / Poiters) as it's just lots of longbows, dead horses, and dead/captured french nobility set on repeat.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by LaggyWolf View Post
    I always enjoyed the idea of doing things like this but haven't really gotten the chance (either bad timezones/I don't feel like playing total war). But I'd be down with anything since this mod since it debuts tomorrow.

Though I don't know about Agincourt (or Crecy / Poiters) as it's just lots of longbows, dead horses, and dead/captured french nobility set on repeat.
    H aha. Point taken.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I was thinking the Battle of Grunwald would be nice. We have Lithuania, Poland, Teutonic and Pomerania, so it's possible to do that. They also have some interesting drawings of army positions, although I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of this battle. We're probably going to slaughter some historical facts, not just men.

I'm open to other suggestions.

~Wille

i would really like to play with you that would be nice

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sure. Join in.

And if anyone, for what ever reason can't join us, here are the emails of some respective YouTubers.

OverkillTW: manofwar132@gmail.com
    Alex the Rambler: ramblerreplays@gmail.com
    Jackie Fish:
    jackiefishhh@gmail.com
    WarriorOfSparta: warriorofsparta1984@outlook.com

Warning: For the Replays to work, it's important to not move any units in the deployment phase. All parties has to click play right away, THEN position the armies. If you don't, then the replay won't work.

​~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; May 08, 2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    I was thinking the Battle of Grunwald would be nice. We have Lithuania, Poland, Teutonic and Pomerania, so it's possible to do that. They also have some interesting drawings of army positions, although I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of this battle. We're probably going to slaughter some historical facts, not just men.

I'm open to other suggestions.

~Wille
    Sounds fun! When are you arranging this? (Time / Timezone?)

The battle of Adrianople 1205.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Me and Frozen just did it. I've sent it to Alex, Overkill and Pixie. Hopefully one of them will use it.

If anyone else wants to have a go, suggest another one and join in.

~Wille

I'm getting an error when trying to add you? Search my username (LaggyWolf)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I added you.

​~Wille

I would be very keen to join in on this. Up for Agincourt, or Battle of Crecy could be good or Bouvines. Maybe Gallipoli or Siege of Calais. (English vs France theme going on). Battle of Poitiers?
    Or crusade battle could be sweet, mainly sieges I guess, Acre, Jerusalem, Damascus, Antioch, Kerak would all be good.

Basically I am game for anything! And willing to do some research on battles before doing them to get things right (outcome aside ofc)

Ciruelo's Avatar Tiro

I propose the battle of Meung sur Loire:

Map: Riverfort

Attacker: France (Joan of Arc's)
    Defender: England

One of the most epic battles of the Joan of Arc's campaign of the Loire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Meung-sur-Loire

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

@Simmo576
    Welcome.

At the moment, I'm a little bit hesitant to go with England, seeing as Longbows have ~40 seconds cooldown on their bows, which would make Agincourt a slaughter fest.

@ciruelo
    That sounds awesome. Unfortunately, me and Frozen tried the Riverfort a couple of times, but the replays didn't work. We have no idea why at the moment, but we probably did something wrong. :S On the other hand, standard battles work well.

~Wille

Hey mate.

40 sec cooldown? wow not noticed that will have a look. That is bad seeing as they should (historically) be able to fire 10-12 shots per min.

With regard to your replay not working, did it CDT when you tried to view? If so it is because a player/players moved their troops in the deployment phase before starting the match. For replays to work with the mod you have to start then deploy. Bit of a pain but heyho.

Steam name is Dangarus if you wanna add me for matches

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by simmo576 View Post
    Hey mate.

40 sec cooldown? wow not noticed that will have a look. That is bad seeing as they should (historically) be able to fire 10-12 shots per min.
    10-12 would tire you in few seconds and your accuracy would be absolute crap, plus you would be out of arrows after 6-7 minutes of shooting. Heavy warbows take a lot of effort to draw and that fire rate would be just pointless to achieve on the field (note, it is possible, just dumb thing to do). Also if archers are using volleys, then they fire rate goes down even more. Although current fire rate is way to low on pretty much all ranged troops.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

@LaggyWolf

Sorry, I missed your post.

This is more personal, it's not official or anything like that. Just talk to me on Steam and we'll figure it out. It's that simple. I'll take care of the emails and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by simmo576 View Post
    With regard to your replay not working, did it CDT when you tried to view? If so it is because a player/players moved their troops in the deployment phase before starting the match. For replays to work with the mod you have to start then deploy. Bit of a pain but heyho.

Steam name is Dangarus if you wanna add me for matches
    Cool. You're added.

Yeah thanks for the advice. We tried to do that twice, not moving anything, but unfortunately it didn't work. I'll try to ask Jackie Fish when he comes back next week how he and Pixie managed to get the Riverfort to work and if they faced any challenges. For the moment we'll settle with native custom Battles I guess.

~Wille

@Kjertesvein
    Yeah I have had some replays not work when we didn't move anything. Well I thought we didn't, someone may have I guess?! I think placing deployables breaks the replay as well. Not sure if moving the camera effects it?

@KAM2150
    Not to get into a debate about how the English used their Longbowmen but.......

Say 1000 Longbowmen fire at Knights charging them from 250yards. Takes the knights 40sec-1min's (ish) to reach the archers (longer if on foot). Archers have fired 10ish shot each in that time, each volley getting deadlier as the range decreases. That is potentially 10000 arrows hitting the knights. That is not a dumb or pointless thing to do (nor is it unacheivable). And the archers would still have arrows left to fire.
    Volley fire is not about accuracy it is more about volume and rate of fire. If you kill all the enemy in a couple of minutes, or at least devastate their ranks so you can mop up then it doesn't matter that you are knackered or have run out of ammo.
    The longbowmen were highly trained, strong and skilled archers and there is plenty of evidence that supports them being able to sustain good rates of accurate volley fire.
    This is how the English used their longbows to win battles. (didn't always work though!)

But game wise, having 10-12 volleys per min could be OP.

And I agree the fire rate for all ranged (apart from xbows) is too low.

Back to the topic: I would love to do a historical campaign style playthrough. So pick a war (ie 7th Crusade or Ottoman/hungarian war) and then play through the major battles and Sieges.

This is why the game have "Barrage" ability. I know most don't like activated abilities, but this one is grounded in reality. Something like WW1 British infantrymen Mad Minute using Lee Enfield. Just make longbowmen have barrage ability to crank their ROF up to 10 shots/min for several seconds, but lower their accuracy. When the ability expires, they'll get a fatigue penalty.

Kjertesvein, add me on Steam.

slytacular

I'll be up for a game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast