Thread: Crashing after nearly loaded campaign

Default Crashing after nearly loaded campaign

As the title says my game keeps crashing after 95% loading of a new campaign. there no unexpected error message the game simply shuts down. i tried lowering my graphics but to no avail. hopefully theres a quick fix to it

anyone have similar issues?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Default Re: Crashing after nearly loaded campaign

You're going to have to provide more information.

Has this problem always occurred?
    How long has this problem been occurring?
    Where is the "95%" you mention displayed?
    Are you playing Medieval 2, or one of the Kingdoms expansions?
    Are you playing a mod?
    Do you have any mods installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    You're going to have to provide more information.

Has this problem always occurred?
    How long has this problem been occurring?
    Where is the "95%" you mention displayed?
    Are you playing Medieval 2, or one of the Kingdoms expansions?
    Are you playing a mod?
    Do you have any mods installed?
    Hey Frunk,

I was just about to add some more information: I am using a mod, yes - its unfortunately a Chinese based mod on kingdoms so not so much support there (sigh of empire).However I haven't been able to play with it much but the crash doesnt show the 'unexpected error' message, instead just a minimized black screen before disappearing. I know especially with foreign mods that its difficult to pinpoint, but does this sort of crash come from expanded.text files? I'm hoping so - also it only happens when starting a new campaign

fantastic mod otherwise, Asia map, Tsarist Russia, Kokand Khantate, Japanese Meiji, omg <3 haha

Artifex

Thanks mate.

So does the crash happen before the game can load? Or does it occur some place else (like after selecting a faction)?
    Is a log file generated?

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Moved to M2TW Tech Help

Thanks mate.

So does the crash happen before the game can load? Or does it occur some place else (like after selecting a faction)?
    Is a log file generated?
    It has only occurred after I've started the campaign, the initial load screen appears, loads what looks to be 95% then closes out - Where are the log files stored? and do i need to do anything before the log files can work?

Update: ive used winrar for unpacking instead of 7zip: no luck, used the original expanded.txt instead of the translated: nope, and I used the original text files (and mandarin is installed on my comp): still no luck.

ahh i think i have figured it out - from the log:

00:36:26.672 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/models_strat/textures/ÏÉÊõʦ.psd.dds is missing
    00:36:26.672 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/models_strat/textures/ÏÉÊõʦ.psd is missing
    00:36:26.676 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.

I'm not on the toughest device lol

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You are having a tough problem:

Despite having mandarin installed in your system it can't handle the Chinese script. The problem here seems to be that a file reference within a CAS file is done in Chinese - hence the weird lettering of the file name.
    If you have set your log to trace then a few lines above the error message you should see the name of the CAS model. You would have to convert the CAS model (Milkshape is the most common format to work with), edit the texture name reference and convert it back. You should use one of the textures used in the model's entry in descr_model_strat.

All in all an involving procedure which requires some decent modding knowledge.

Artifex

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This isn't a hardware problem. The message simply means that the texture(s), referred to in the first two lines, can't be found.

Firstly, check is if those files (ÏÉÊõʦ.psd and ÏÉÊõʦ.psd.dds) do indeed exist in the textures folder.

If they exist, the next thing to check is the descr_models_strat.txt file the data folder. Search for an entry referring to either one of those files.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Gig.
    Last edited by Frunk; February 25, 2016 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You are having a tough problem:

Despite having mandarin installed in your system it can't handle the Chinese script. The problem here seems to be that a file reference within a CAS file is done in Chinese - hence the weird lettering of the file name.
    If you have set your log to trace then a few lines above the error message you should see the name of the CAS model. You would have to convert the CAS model (Milkshape is the most common format to work with), edit the texture name reference and convert it back. You should use one of the textures used in the model's entry in descr_model_strat.

All in all an involving procedure which requires some decent modding knowledge.

I did however install the Mandarin pack after I downloaded/extracted the mod, maybe i need to re-download it. I do models/modeling/textures for M&B but TW is a bit more complicated. I understand your instructions but this is an overhaul, and a big one at that haha - any mass re-namer tools? ^^

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This isn't a hardware problem. The message simply means that the texture(s), referred to in the first two lines, can't be found.

Firstly, check is if those files (ÏÉÊõʦ.psd and ÏÉÊõʦ.psd.dds) do indeed exist in the textures folder.

If they exist, the next thing to check is the descr_models_strat.txt file the data folder. Search for an entry referring to either one of those files.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Gig.
    search entry as in Crtl+F 'ÏÉÊõÊ' to make sure it's listed?

Artifex

Yes, that's what I'd do.

Is this mod available somewhere for free? I wouldn't mind downloading it and taking a look at the files.

Blog Entries

I ran into similar issues when porting Rise of three Kingdoms from a Chinese team - it does take a while until all the model_strat issues are sorted out. Some reference entries didn't even file extensions.
    There is also the possibility that the installation will actually fail because the system can't handle the Chinese characters in a file name - it did happen with Cyrillic in my Rage of dark Gods. Those are usually developer notes and not game files.

Yes, that's what I'd do.

Is this mod available somewhere for free? I wouldn't mind downloading it and taking a look at the files.

its a hefty download but totally worth it (with the exception of campaign not working atm)

mod: https://yadi.sk/d/I57yUgRzgkhVw
    english trans: https://yadi.sk/d/4IxY5OYQgkhYx

Let me know if it works for you

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Miscoozi View Post
    its a hefty download but totally worth it (with the exception of campaign not working atm)

mod: https://yadi.sk/d/I57yUgRzgkhVw
    english trans: https://yadi.sk/d/4IxY5OYQgkhYx

Let me know if it works for you
    Hefty indeed. Where I'm living at the moment has a very poor connection and low data limit. I'll have to wait quite a while.

Did the game work before you installed the translation?

In any case, a reinstall might just solve your problem, if you haven't tried that already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miscoozi View Post
    ahh i think i have figured it out - from the log:

00:36:26.672 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/models_strat/textures/ÏÉÊõʦ.psd.dds is missing
    00:36:26.672 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/models_strat/textures/ÏÉÊõʦ.psd is missing
    00:36:26.676 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.

I'm not on the toughest device lol

Can you post more lines? Just above these lines should be the mentioning of a CAS file. If not then you have to change your logging to trace: open your CFG file with Notepad and look for this header and the line beneath it
    Code:
    [log] 
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt 
    level = * trace
    Run the mod again and then check the end of the log for the CAS entry preceding the video memory entry.
    Once you have the CAS name look for the file in the data\models_strat folder and open it with Notepad. Right at the bottom should be an entry stating the texture file reference in clear text. If that has Chinese symbols then you are in for a long modding session. If it is regular letters then I can talk you through it - simply copy the entry here.

Edit: just checked through the English text download
    - 'quotes' is missing entries which will lead to loading screen crash, some entries are wrongly formatted:
    Code:
    {Author_107 created} Zeng Bo Han Xiang 
    {Author_108 created} Zeng Bo Han Xiang 
    {Author_109 created} Zeng Bo Han Xiang
    - 'names' and 'expanded' still have all display in Chinese characters, that usually displays all as question marks
    - 'tooltips' and 'strat' have bad formatting, you are better of with a standard copy of these files
    - 'historic_events' has some strange formatting (line wise), might not work and lead to crashes
    - 'campaign_descriptions' has some strange formatting (line wise)
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 27, 2016 at 10:15 PM.

Hey Giga thanks for looking into this ~

I have tried both Chinese and English texts,both crash in the same spot.

In regards to the quotes file, how should those three example lines look?

And from the log there seems to be quite a few things missing, I'm not sure how major/vital each texture is but I've attached the log to the post

system.log.txt

Problem Fixed

Thanks to the Poles! it was a model_strat CAS problem

in case anyone wants the fix put this into your mod/data/strat

https://www.mediafire.com/?ydapxokrpa2fx3j