Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pike Gone Crazy [Total Overhaul]

Default Pike Gone Crazy [Total Overhaul]

COMPLETE AND OVERHAUL OF TOTAL WAR CENTER

Here is an insane idea that may actually be sane.
    It expands citizenship! Creating a formal and Informal type
    It gives a greater and a more direct say to a much larger group of members on the site.
    It will most likely promote activity on the site as more people can openly participate in a meaningful way.
    It diffuses power among a larger group of people preventing a "group think" or an arrogant behavior and attitude.
    It promotes site community by allowing a larger group of people meaningful contribution in areas other than modding, debating, and gaming.
    However, it isn't simple, but it will sure be a kick in the pants if we implement it.

NEW CLASSIFICATIONS
    Peregrinus: Common members
    Plebeians: (Informal Citizenship)
    Patricians: (Formal Citizenship/ Old Citizen class)
    Senators (Senatorii): Old Patrician class / technically new

Note: Badges are for Patrcian Class and Senatorii Class. Badges will therefore be Patrician, Artifex, and Civitates.

PLEBEIAN ASSEMBLY

General members with at least 250 OR 500 posts or have a been a member of the site for at least 3 or 6 months
    Generally, this group would include members who have invested time into forum through posts and contributions through modding, debating, serving as staff members (e.g. Moderators, Vault staff and Librarian, etc…), or volunteering for site projects, but who have not yet did enough to be patronized for formal Citizenship.

Powers - Elect Tribune (of the people)
    + Propose and vote on decisions that affect the forum.
    + Proposes amendment to current awards as well as proposed additional awards.

CURIA ASSEMBLY

Patrician Class Only
    Member are admitted by being patronized for Formal Citizenship by a current Patrician or Senator or being recognize (rewarded) with a large award.

Powers - Elects Curator
    - Elects Magistrates (must be at least Patrician class)
    - Elects three Censors
    + Propose and approve members for membership in the Patrician Class
    + Propose members for Large and medium awards
    + Approve OR rejects decision made by the Plebeian Assembly
    + Proposed changes and vote on changes to the Constitution

SENATE
    Senators are expected to be exemplary members of the community in behavior and attitude. They must meet (all/some) requirements and have approval from the Senators
    - Citizen for at least 6 months
    - Have not received a moderation warning or Curial Warning for the past 9 months.
    - Patronize at least 3 members for citizenship and/ or successfully proposed at least 1 members for a large award and/ or successfully proposed at least 3 members for either small or medium awards.
    - Participate in or vote in in at least 50% or more of Curia elections and decisions.
    - - Served multiple terms (TBD) as an officer of TWC.

Powers - Elects Consul
    - Elects Praetors (Currently called Tribunes)
    + Proposed changes to the Constitution, as well as approve or reject proposals by the Curia.
    + Oversight on all Curia votes (decisions, Patrician applications, Censors, Large awards Must either support/ opposed legislation. 2 Supporter min. for continuance to vote or 3 opposed to kill the initiative
    See other proposal for more details

DETAILS OF POSITIONS

Tribune (of the Plebs) Qualification: No moderation warning for a period of 6 months. Must at least be Plebeian or higher
    Powers: Can veto decisions by the Curia regarding site decisions and changes to the Constitution. Have permission to vote in the Curia.| may appoint assistants
    Curator Qualification: Same as now, except Patrician Class
    Powers: same as now
    Consul Qualification: Senatorii Class Only
    Powers: Can nullify candidates for Tribune (of the Plebs) | Chief interpreter of Constitution | Performs same duties in Senate as Curator does in the Curia (opening and closing polls, etc.. | Breaks ties in referral cases | Serves all officers during interregnum | organizes elections of Curator and Tribunes.
    Special Rule: Sacrosanct from removal except by the Senate
    Magistrates Qualification: Must at least be Patrician Class Citizen
    Powers: Unchanged

Censors Qualification: Patrician or higher Class
    Powers: Monitors Patrician behavior and judge in referral cases.

Praetors (currently called Tribunes) Pending approval from admin
    Qualification: Senatorii Class ONLY
    Powers: Same as Tribunes
    Special Rule: Serves for an indefinite period. They are sacrosanct from vote of no confidence

FORUM REORGANIZATIONS
    I am not clever enough or knowledgeable enough to come up with Roman names for things. Some of the names are "placeholders" for something better.
    Essentially, I kept everything. The Forum Magnum can become the New "Plebeian Assembly" The Senate becomes the preservers of the forum in every way as the Archives are placed here.
    I also removed the word "republic" and replaced it with "site" so that it isn't confused with a role- playing "game, although this is what we are all doing anyway.

THE CAPITAL
    PLEBEIAN ASSEMBLY
    Come to discuss matters of the site, complaints, grievances, and nominations. All are welcome, but only Plebeians can post.
    SITE PROTHALAMOS
    An area specifically for the proposal and discussion of legislation and decisions
    SITE AWARDS ORGANIZATION AND FORUM TAGGING
    A more clever name here.

CURIA ASSEMBLY
    Come to discuss matters of the site, complaints, grievances, and nominations. All may view, but only Patricians can post!
    CURIA PROTHALAMOS
    An area specifically for the proposal and discussion of legislation, decisions, and elections of Officers.
    QUAESTIONES PERPETUAE
    Where Patrician applications are processed.

SENATE
    Come to discuss matters of the site, complaints, grievances, and nominations. All may view, but only Senatorii only!
    POLITIA (Or merged to form a singular forum; however, I want the Senate to be publicly viewed like the real Roman Senate, so it may be best that it is separate)
    An area for the discussion of citizen’s referrals. Senatorii & officers only.
    ARCHIVES
    For measures that have either finished their vote or fallen inactive.
    TWC LIVING HISTORY FORUM
    This forum stores threads which are of historic significance to TWC.
    ANNALS AND REGISTRY
    Records of Citizens enactments, proposals, and decisions.
    CITIZEN ATECHAMBER
    This is where Patrician Membership judgments are kept when concluded.

Before you knee jerk and respond with "oppose" or Pike, you are crazy. Think about it first. When you done laughing, then think again. Then post a reply. Honestly, when I thought about i laughed my butt off, but the more I thought about it, it was too crazy not to share.
    Last edited by PikeStance; February 25, 2016 at 07:57 PM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pike Gone Crazy [Total Overhaul]

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance
    General members with at least 500 posts or have a been a member of the site for at least 1 year
    Qualified to serve as staff members (e.g. Moderators, Vault staff and Librarian, etc…) or volunteers for site projects.
    I disagree with that. There are some new members on TWC forums who will to help or be involved in Staff. Putting that "1 year" limit/condition is unfair for them and will probably discourage some of them for the least.
    Also no moderation requirement for Plebeians?
    Regarding their power, don't you think that the veto right might make things unmanageable?

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance
    CURIA ASSEMBLY

Patrician Class Only
    Member are admitted by being patronized for Formal Citizenship by a current Patrician or Senator or being recognize (rewarded) with a large award.
    As far as I understand, the actual constitution says
    "Any member is eligible to receive the Opifex(Phalera, Asterix's) award, but must also meet the criteria to become a Citizen."
    That implies
    "To qualify for Citizenship, a member must have at least fifty posts, been a registered member for two months, and have not received a Moderation Warning or Curial Warning within the past six months."
    What's your idea/proposal regarding the awards? That needs to be clarified to fully understand that " being recognize (rewarded) with a large award" sentence.

I will probably have more remarks/questions later but I need to dig some points out first to be sure to get the right understanding.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 24, 2016 at 04:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Then post a reply.
    Oppose.
    Full access to all full users or nothing.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

I'd support this

Section Editor ES
    • Librarian • Local Moderator • Citizen • CdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post

PLEBEIAN ASSEMBLY

General members with at least 500 posts or have a been a member of the site for at least 1 year
    Why? Why not give it to every full member? Or at least those in good standing.
    Qualified to serve as staff members (e.g. Moderators, Vault staff and Librarian, etc…) or volunteers for site projects.
    I think Staff will want to decide by itself who is qualified.

Powers - Elect Tribune (of the people)
    + Propose and vote on decisions that affect the forum.
    + Proposes changes to and can addition to any and all awards.
    You're proposing to create offices left, right and centre here and you can spare only 1 Tribune?
    Also can you explain the last sentence?
    CURIA ASSEMBLY

Patrician Class Only

Powers - Elects Curator
    - Elects Magistrates (must be at least Patrician class)
    - Elects three Censors
    + Propose and approve members for membership in the Patrician Class
    + Propose members for Large and medium awards
    + Approve OR rejects decision made by the Plebeian Assembly
    + Proposed changes and vote on changes to the Constitution
    Nothing to note here.
    SENATE
    Must meet requirements and approval of Senators
    - Citizen for at least 6 months
    - Have not received a moderation warning or Curial Warning for the past 9 months.
    - Patronize at least 3 members for citizenship and/ or successfully proposed at least 1 members for a large award and/ or successfully proposed at least 3 members for either small or medium awards.
    - Participate in or vote in in at least 50% or more of Curia elections and decisions.
    - Have exemplary behavioral record and sound community attitude.
    - Served multiple terms (TBD) as an officer of TWC.
    Sounds like a CdeC 2.0 really. I don't really see the use of this but I can live with an extra layer of roleplay.

Participate in or vote in in at least 50% or more of Curia elections and decisions.
    How would this be measured? And wouldn't it be unnecessarily hard to keep track of all of this.
    - Have exemplary behavioral record and sound community attitude.
    Is this intentionally vague? All above criteria are exact and then there's this. What is an exemplary behavioural record? You've already got a criterium that excludes people who've recently received an infraction so what is the use of this? One would also assume that people who wish to engage in this roleplay have a pretty good community attitude, of which I'm also curious how you determine wether or not one has a sound community attitude.
    Powers - Elects Consul
    - Elects Praetors (Currently called Tribunes)
    + Proposed changes to the Constitution, as well as approve or reject proposals by the Curia.
    + Oversight on all Curia votes (decisions, Patrician applications, Censors, Large awards Must either support/ opposed legislation. 2 Supporter min. for continuance to vote or 3 opposed to kill the initiative
    See other proposal for more details
    What's the use of taking some priviliges away from all citizens and giving them to a select group of citizens?
    DETAILS OF POSITIONS

Tribune (of the Plebs) Qualification: No moderation warning for a period of 6 months. Must at least be Plebeian or higher
    Powers: Can veto decisions by the Curia regarding site decisions and changes to the Constitution. Have permission to vote in the Curia.
    Why only one Tribune? All offices except for Curator have more than one officer, with the Curator having assistents to make up for that.
    Consul Qualification: Senatorii Class Only
    Powers: Can nullify candidates for Tribune (of the Plebs) | Chief interpreter of Constitution | Performs same duties in Senate as Curator does in the Curia (opening and closing polls, etc.. | Breaks ties in referral cases | Serves all officers during interregnum | organizes elections of Curator and Tribunes.
    Special Rule: Sacrosanct from removal except by the Senate
    I have the feeling you made this one for yourself.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; February 24, 2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Pike uses too much formatting

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Qualified to serve as staff members (e.g. Moderators, Vault staff and Librarian, etc…) or volunteers for site projects
    Who is and who isn't suitable for a site staff role is no business of the Curia.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

People in general have expressed that they dislike the bureaucracy that surrounds the curia, so your solution to improve the curia and make more people want to participate in it is to add extra layers of bureaucracy?!?!
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tango12345 View Post
    Who is and who isn't suitable for a site staff role is no business of the Curia.

500% agree

Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    People in general have expressed that they dislike the bureaucracy that surrounds the curia, so your solution to improve the curia and make more people want to participate in it is to add extra layers of bureaucracy?!?!
    Last time (not that long ago) I said for the same discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir
    Most of the people still active in the Curia agree that it's time to simplify it to make it more attractive for potential or futur Citizens. Despite the fact that I agree with the arguments presented by the others in this thread (except GotR), I just can't see how this proposal can simplify the Curia organization.
    And I got this answer:
    It doesn't add any bureaucratic task that doesn't already exist. The only real difference is increasing the role and numbers of Censors.
    To my knowledge there is less opf a problem with motivation to become a citizen and more of a problem of motivating people to patronize.
    I also never claim that it will simplify things.... but it may make things more interesting and fun. Removing the distinction of citizenship would do nothing to help the site. This system would at the very least create a buzz thus awareness of.
    I leave that to your appreciation.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 24, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

My problem with this: what will this eventually accomplish if it was somehow implemented in the first place?

The curia barely gets anything reasonable or useful done as is beyond awarding shiny things. No amount of reform as it currently stands is going to turn the curia into something that actually does anything remotely useful to site staff or the greater modding community.

That is the problem with the curia now. Being useless. My prime recent example? This. No replies (despite 500+ views) and pretty much no citizens giving feedback beyond those who probably already knew about it from other channels in the first place. The curia puts plenty of effort into reformation discussion and whatnot but can't be bothered with something like that to help staff and the site as a whole.

Call me when the curia gets its head out of its arse please.
    Last edited by Hader; February 24, 2016 at 02:45 PM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

again? good Dude, opposing it all the way long; besides, Hader really nailed it down IMO.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

"The curia" has any obligation? We are just a bunch of rewarded guys posting here from now and then, as far as I know.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    again? good Dude, opposing it all the way long;
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    My problem with this: what will this eventually accomplish if it was somehow implemented in the first place?

The curia barely gets anything reasonable or useful done as is beyond awarding shiny things. No amount of reform as it currently stands is going to turn the curia into something that actually does anything remotely useful to site staff or the greater modding community.

That is the problem with the curia now. Being useless. My prime recent example? This. No replies and pretty much no citizens giving feedback beyond those who probably already knew about it from other channels in the first place. The curia puts plenty of effort into reformation discussion and whatnot but can't be bothered with something like that to help staff and the site as a whole.

Call me when the curia gets its head out of its arse please.
    I noticed your "This" at the time, had a look and saw that it was about things I don't know anything about. Thus there was no sense in reacting.

Also in my view there is no such thing as "the Curia". There is a group of very different individuals that (occasionally) participate in various "Curia activities". I can't speak for others, but my main motivation to be active here is that I like this community and I think that "awarding shiny things" as you describe it, is actually beneficial to the spirit of said community.

As for helping the site, or the greater modding community, I think I'm busy enough doing that outside of the Curia. There is only that much time one can spend here and to me it makes no difference where exactly I contribute what. Besides that, there has to be at least some fun involved to keep going. Remarks about putting heads where the sun doesn't shine and waiting for the moment those heads make it back to the light again are not helping to keep me motivated to go on.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post

Also in my view there is no such thing as "the Curia". There is a group of very different individuals that (occasionally) participate in various "Curia activities". I can't speak for others, but my main motivation to be active here is that I like this community and I think that "awarding shiny things" as you describe it, is actually beneficial to the spirit of said community.
    words of wisdom
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I agree with loli. 1 year is far too long and 500 posts are not easy for most. Make it available to full members.

Current requirements to join the Librarian staff is to be a full member and pass Hex's checks and they will stay that way until we or the admins decide otherwise. It will be a cold day in hell before the Curia or "the constitution" has a say in who joins and who doesn't join the Script.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    It will be a cold day in hell before the Curia or "the constitution" has a say in who joins and who doesn't join the Script.
    Current temperatures in Hell, Norway and Hell, Michigan are 1 and 0 degrees respectively according to google so the conditions seem about right for that.

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Current temperatures in Hell, Norway and Hell, Michigan are 1 and 0 degrees respectively according to google so the conditions seem about right for that.
    Librarian hell is located within the nations of Burkina Faso due to its literacy rate and as of now it is about 80 degrees F.
    Last edited by Riverknight; February 24, 2016 at 05:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riverknight View Post
    Librarian hell is located within the nations of Burkina Faso due to its literacy rate and as of now it is about 80 degrees F.
    That's between 26 and 27°C (for those who don't know)

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I think I'd personally go and light a big fire in either Hell, Norway or Hell, Michigan to raise the temperature there if that is enough to prevent some silly bureaucratic Curial detour for prospective staffers.

Whatever the Curia's task/job/purpose/whathaveyou may be, impeding, delaying and overcomplicating things should be none of it. Unfortunately the Curia has a tradition in just these things. It is on us to remedy that.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

That's actually warm for Norway.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I have to say I really surprise at how well received it was taken. I also like how members who generally do not post decided to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Oppose.
    Full access to all full users or nothing.
    I would not be opposed to this. I would also not be opposed to reducing the requirement to something far less.
    "Member of staff or 250 posts and 3 months membership" or something like that.

Why? Why not give it to every full member? Or at least those in good standing.
    You're proposing to create offices left, right and centre here and you can spare only 1 Tribune?
    Also can you explain the last sentence?
    Yes that one packs a punch! There is also no exclusion for the use of assistance.

Sounds like a CdeC 2.0 really. I don't really see the use of this but I can live with an extra layer of roleplay.
    It is based off of the old Patrician Class, but I can see what you mean.

How would this be measured? And wouldn't it be unnecessarily hard to keep track of all of this.
    It is actually explained in the proposal thread on a related concept. Basically, you apply by detailing your participation.

Is this intentionally vague? All above criteria are exact and then there's this. What is an exemplary behavioural record? You've already got a criterium that excludes people who've recently received an infraction so what is the use of this? One would also assume that people who wish to engage in this roleplay have a pretty good community attitude, of which I'm also curious how you determine wether or not one has a sound community attitude.
    Yes, it was meant to be a basis of everything I included. It should had been excluded or mentioned first as a "thesis statement."

What's the use of taking some priviliges away from all citizens and giving them to a select group of citizens?
    I didn't take any powers away. The Senate is more of an oversight committee than wielder of real power. The power is still within the two lower assemblies.

I have the feeling you made this one for yourself.
    Given I am always on the losing end of any Constitutional debate, I doubt it...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tango12345 View Post
    Sorry, that was my note of who would make up that group.

That is the problem with the curia now. Being useless. My prime recent example? This. No replies (despite 500+ views) and pretty much no citizens giving feedback beyond those who probably already knew about it from other channels in the first place
    You received 29 responses. There were not all citizens, but who to say a non- citizen didn't see it in the Curia and then followed your link. It is pretty presumptuous to believe that your post in te Curia had no effect. I personally didn't respond, because it isn't anything I am interested in or have the time to participate in.

The curia puts plenty of effort into reformation discussion and whatnot but can't be bothered with something like that to help staff and the site as a whole.
    It can be argued that there is a leadership void with the lack of the CdeC. (Granted it wasn't technically a leadership, but it often were a center piece of discussion and action).

It is hoped that by extending a medium in which "non0 citizens" can interact it will promote more action and service to the community. The existence itself would help raise awareness of a greater community.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    Current requirements to join the Librarian staff is to be a full member and pass Hex's checks and they will stay that way until we or the admins decide otherwise. It will be a cold day in hell before the Curia or "the constitution" has a say in who joins and who doesn't join the Script.
    Yes, I could fix it. However, I think they needs to be a minimal. I figure I start high and work down to a reasonable level of participation.

edit: I reduce the time frame. 250 pots in 3 months or 500 points in 6 months comes to 2.8 posts a day. 500 posts in 3 months is 5.6 posts a day. I am thinking maybe 250/300 posts in a three months or a member of staff. Then again,.. what about modders? Maybe the citizenship current requirement would be better suited: 2 Months and 50 posts.
    Last edited by PikeStance; February 24, 2016 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast