Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Eagles General Discussion Thread

Default Re: [WIP] Rise of the Eagles - a Napoleonic mod for MTW2

British troops coming soon to an european country near you (see what I did there? Now I can call them non-europeans, wow)

Foot Guards

Foot

Rifles

Highlanders

Black Brunswickers, with their own banner and staff

Light infantry trying to survive

On a side note, better textures for other countries. French Dragoons in particular

Reinhold, Prince of Pikes's Avatar Laetus

Icon14 Re: [WIP] Rise of the Eagles - a Napoleonic mod for MTW2

Very impressive! What program did you use to create the new unit models, if I may add

Thanks. I use the same program as anyone else, milkshape3d, but I also use XSI Mod Tool version 6.01 because it is very easy to navigate into and has only the needed stuff that modders use, no fancy 3dsmax bars with millions of functions. As for the headwear, I create my own but I also borrow pieces from Docm30, author of the l'Aigle mod for m&b, with permission to do so, to save time since these cavalry helmets have been created a dozen times already.

Gendarmerie

Black Brunswickers' Hussars

British Dragoons

British Lifeguard Dragoons

British Light Dragoons

I'd like to point out that the texture on the chest is correct and UVs are perfect. However, MTW2 animations for cavalrymen are quite bad and they'll distort my texturing work unfortunately.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    Since I'm not a person who likes to toy with people's expectations and I also dont like wasting time on projects that would never be as I want them to be, I want to announce that I'll halt development on this mod for some time as I'm considering abandoning it entirely. The reason being the answers to my questions in the Scripting forum, which are really not encouraging me to continue development. I was told of the marvelous scripting capabilities of MTW2, therefore I was willing to work hard, and I did for quite some time now. However, since even basic tasks apparently cannot be done properly and the armies have near zero customization script-wise, I feel that adding simple flavour events is kind of pointless. So unless a scripter tells me that there are more possibilities that what I'm currently seeing, or I figure out how to, at the very least, manage attrition and supplies properly, I'm going back to NTW. I hope you understand my reasoning. If I got to work hours upon hours on a project it is mandatory for me that it works the way I intend it to work.
    Whatever my final decision will be, I'll freely release the material I got, with the only condition of crediting me in your mods.
    What convinced you to continue?

The campaign map I guess... I have in mind a system that is similar to a board game of the napoleonic period which would require extensive revision of both graphics and structure of the game in later titles and this is simply not possible there. So even if attrition is, sadly, not feasible as I want it, the diplomatic aspect is easier to mod, has more possibilities (I'm using "religion" as "political orientation") and the scripting language used is far easier to understand and less prone to errors than lua IMHO. Plus, making units is fun. I dont have the constrants of NTW were I had to attach 2 bones to a specific part of the model and use 2 editors to make a single unit with multiple changes to heads, arms, legs and headwear. Here I simply model what I need, assign a single bone to the part I'm interested in, I add the right comments in the model to ensure that the game loads what is necessary, and BAM, that's it. In 20 minutes I make a unit with plenty of variants that will act as I expect without the hassle of ETW and NTW. The tradeoff in graphics is not so terrible so who cares, really.

You actually can do a lot more that you probably think with scripting in Medieval 2, you were just asking the wrong questions and being told the very specific things are impossible.
    Getting the desired effects in Medieval 2 is about carefully working around what can and cannot be done, sometimes using a convoluted approach instead of a direct one, when not possible.

I very strongly recommend you download and play the mod 1648, which has some of the things you're wanting already implemented, so you can see how it was done there. Armies without generals will rebel, armies with generals and no food will suffer morale penalties and eventually rebel, armies moving into a new region will forage until you can bring a supply wagon, etc.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...y-Years-of-War

Also check my reply in your released beta thread for some other advice. Good luck, it's showing a lot of promise!

Kesten pire's Avatar Foederatus

Great work

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    I very strongly recommend you download and play the mod 1648, which has some of the things you're wanting already implemented, so you can see how it was done there. Armies without generals will rebel, armies with generals and no food will suffer morale penalties and eventually rebel, armies moving into a new region will forage until you can bring a supply wagon, etc.
    Unfortunately the last patch for MTW2 on Steam removed Kingdoms.exe which now is a DLC, therefore the launcher of 1648 is useless and the game wont run even with the bat file. So yeah... somebody might need to update their mod. I only have the Steam version.

Gendarmerie a cheval

Chasseurs a cheval de la Garde

Grenadiers a Cheval

British 9 liber

Swiss fusiliers

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    Unfortunately the last patch for MTW2 on Steam removed Kingdoms.exe which now is a DLC, therefore the launcher of 1648 is useless and the game wont run even with the bat file. So yeah... somebody might need to update their mod. I only have the Steam version.
    Easy fix, all that's happening is the .bat is looking for kingdoms.exe, but the Steam version made Medieval 2 use a single .exe. 3 options, either make a copy of medieval2.exe and rename it kingdoms.exe, open the .bat and edit the line to say medieval2.exe, or specifically for that mod, use the 1648 custom launcher: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ustom-Launcher

Great work on all those models, they look fantastic!

Domesticus

Great work!

United States of America

US Militia (based on New York's militiamen)

US Line Infantry and staff + flag

US Rangers

US Backpack

US Light Infantry

Light Dragoons & Charleston Dragoons

American troops, does that mean the War of 1812 will play a part? I don't recall any American engagements in Europe in the Napoleonic Wars. They look great, though!

The USA, Ireland and Scotland all play a part. America isnt present on the campaign map, however the US will be displayed on the Diplomacy screen alongside with Scottish secessionists and Irish patriots. The smart French player will most likely want to improve their relationship and form a vast net of irish and scottish supporters, and get some help from the US Navy. A tiny fraction of the USA will be present on the campaign map with a single port (I still need to decide where exactly) to permit the French to trade with them by sea. At the same time, this trade route will be easy prey for the English Royal Navy.
    As for the War of 1812 itself, well I have plans to make a secondary campaign map just for that, and then an extensive Russian campaign map for Napoleon's invasion, with a gigantic 200 region-wide Russian territory, but that will require some serious work and historical \ topographic help (I can do the graphic part but I'm really bad at geography).

I was a bit slow this week.

Austrian Line

Hungarians

Grenadiers (German)

Grenadiers (Hungarian)

Foederatus

Good luck with this, Sirlion! Everything you've done so far looks great. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this mod, and I hope you get it completed as soon as you can.

Foederatus

Hi Sirlion! I've just noticed this mod. The units look really awsome! Congratulations!

as a mod can be downloaded?

no more news about this mod?