Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Measuring Interest in TW: Warhammer

Default Re: Measuring Interest in TW: Warhammer

i think that the way total war has been declining with its flagship releases I.E. Empire and Rome 2, that developing a new engine has gone from being simply undesirable to being a serious risk of an investment. if total war warhammer gets them loads of money they might be more inclined to chance it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 213 View Post
    perfectly honest here, i think warhammer is absolutely ridiculous and silly looking. same as lord of the rings. anything that isn't at least grounded and believable, dragons, orcs, monsters, etc i just can't really pay attention to. it's like white noise to me, zero interest, negative value interest in fact.

i hope this is a trend that does not continue. i think ca feels they're running out of ideas and want to do something different and don't want to rehash anything, but trust me, ca hasn't done anything, i say this as a fan of their historically based franchise. the amount of things that can be expanded, improved, iterated, and plain revolutionized upon are too numerous to list.

in short, medieval 3 will be the greatest game ever.
    I don't think it's that interesting either but I'm going to give it a chance. I don't really like Starcraft that much but I play Starcraft 1 and 2 when I can because I became a fan of the story while playing the games.

Then again I may not care but I'll give it a chance. gameplay is what's most important and the game looks like it will have units which act much differently. Honestly I don't play Total War for any coherent narrative. Attila is miles better than any other I've played, but none are as immersive as CK2.

Icon1 Re: Measuring Interest in TW: Warhammer

Updated again. Far Cry Primal is the next game on the list to release, just over a week from now, but it's not showing much growth in wishlist numbers so far.

Another update. Interest in Far Cry Primal has picked up ahead of its release on Tuesday. Tom Clancey's The Division releases a week after that and continues to show strong growth in interest. Hitman is also starting to show a bump in wishlisting and following - it's out in about two weeks.

Senator

So, we should be able to gauge interest once VC comes out and in april

I don't care about any of those other games at all.

I'm only sad that I'm catching on to this one early because that means it'll be a longer wait to see the various mods people come up with. I'm very interested in seeing what there will be.

Updated again. Far Cry Primal is now out. Next up is Tom Clancey's The Division.

I am looking forward to TW:W because i hope the story and the missions and the general fantasy setting will help me rolepay and forget that I am playing against an idiot AI.

I am playing attilla now (bought on sale some time ago) and the AI does things no normal human being would ever do. In warhammer i could pretend that is just standard orc behaviour

I looked at the warhammer wiki trying in vain to find something interesting about the lore. Honestly it's all pretty dull and about as interesting to me to read about as the story of MST3K Cave Dwellers.

...but then I sas that there will be lizard men who worship 'the ancient ones.' This has to be an obvious Lovecraft reference, right?

Well at any rate I am still keeping my head up for this game. I think it looks weird but I am a fan of dark fantasy like Conan and Lovecraft. Also as a fan of reptiles/snake owner I know I'll be playing the lizard men race first !

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

thanks for keeping your eye on these stats. I love them @the eye
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Senator

based on Rome II there is no chance in hell of this being "the best strategy game in years". Likely they'll do a Rome II again - some fancy graphics in the adverts, then it'll have the same engine as Rome II, which is the same engine as Empire Total War (yes, they couldn't even be arsed making a game engine that could deal with close formation infantry fighting, or siege engines, or assaults on walls). This will be another huge disappointment and this time i am not wasting my money on it (and i liked the early Total Wars and Warhammer the miniatures game too)
    Last edited by Dunadd; March 11, 2016 at 04:17 PM.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadd View Post
    based on Rome II there is no chance in hell of this being "the best strategy game in years". Likely they'll do a Rome II again - some fancy graphics in the adverts, then it'll have the same engine as Rome II, which is the same engine as Empire Total War (yes, they couldn't even be arsed making a game engine that could deal with close formation infantry fighting, or siege engines, or assaults on walls). This will be another huge disappointment and this time i am not wasting my money on it (and i liked the early Total Wars and Warhammer the miniatures game too)
    The more of I see of the gameplay the more I think your prediction will be true.

easytarget's Avatar Libertus

Impossible to measure how little I care about Warhammer, guess I'll just call it immeasurably small and be done with it. I was amused though by the insanely busy graph that started this thread.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Trump would find this amazing. Warhammer is going to be a "yuge" release. Good people at SEGA/CA, fantastic company.

Updated again. I thought it would be interesting to take a look at who is wishlisting Total War: Warhammer - Total War veterans or new players to the franchise, so with the following key, here's the breakdown (only looking at ownership of Total War games from the release of Empire: Total War onwards):

(note that because the way the Steam appids are set up, anyone who owns Fall of the Samurai also shows as owning Shogun 2, regardless of whether they actually own the base game or not).

People who have wishlisted Warhammer:

People who have wishlisted Attila:

People who have wishlisted Rome II:

So it looks like it's actually Total War veterans who are interested in Total War: Warhammer, at least at present. It'll be interesting to see if that changes as we get closer to release.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by the_eye View Post
    So it looks like it's actually Total War veterans who are interested in Total War: Warhammer, at least at present. It'll be interesting to see if that changes as we get closer to release.
    Not sure the TWR2 comparison works now that we are almost three years from release of that title. Presumably most of the veteran audience already owns the game? Or does your TWR2 chart include those wishlisting prior to TWR2's release back in 2013?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

@The_eye may I ask you to try to use a very prominent color for highlighting TW Warhammer graphs in the original post, I think it is pretty hard to recognize it in the results or perhaps reduce number of games. That would aid your OP.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

If it makes more people interested in strategy games, I'm all for it. I have no problem playing a fantasy game if it is good, I just prefer historical.

I don't fit into any of those categories above though. I played the original Shogun, Medieval, and Rome (mostly RTR, which was a whole new game imo) but dropped out to play Paradox and board games after that. Arena is what got me back into the franchise. That's the game I am most looking forward to returning, since Rome 2 is not getting any more updates. I prefer vs play more than anything, so I'm crossing my fingers that Warhammer has good battles. Is there any word on Avatar Conquest mode? In a fantasy setting, there are so many cool things they can make for you to unlock! I really hope it comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Not sure the TWR2 comparison works now that we are almost three years from release of that title. Presumably most of the veteran audience already owns the game? Or does your TWR2 chart include those wishlisting prior to TWR2's release back in 2013?
    Veteran was the wrong word. I meant anyone who had played Total War games before. And no, the graphs are snapshots of who had the games on their wishlist at the time of the sample (start of March 2016). You're certainly right about Rome II, but I was suprised that Attila has a higher percentage of people who own no Total War titles wishlisting it than Warhammer does - I'd have thought a change from historical to fantasy would give CA a chance to reach a different audience.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    @The_eye may I ask you to try to use a very prominent color for highlighting TW Warhammer graphs in the original post, I think it is pretty hard to recognize it in the results or perhaps reduce number of games. That would aid your OP.
    Better now?

After watching so e youtube videos, I am more enthusiastic about Warhammer TW. Apparently their world is basically just Europe with everything exaggerated and with Orcs 'n Trolls and stuff replacing the Byzantines or Kebabs from the strategic picture. I like Bretonnia but it's not going to be an available faction ):
    I like Albion too because it's basically druidic Briton Celts which aren't really available in a lot of games.

The gameplay looks pretty good too.

overall I'm looking forward to the game and I'm going to buy it day 1

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast