Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 05/09/2016)

Default Re: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 10/03/2015)

Chapter Three: The Tiger of Kai

Winter 1546: The Battle of Iida

Muneyori sat garrisoned in Inokuchi, providing a considerable military presence to offset any thoughts of rebellion from the local populace. The first thought that came to him was to mobilize immediately to provide support for his daimyo when reports had reached him informing him that Mikawa province had been under siege by the Imagawa. Muneyori’s thoughts never seemed to end; he couldn’t decide what to do, if he should do anything at all. His last order from Nobuhide was to conquer Mino province, and since then no word has come from his Daimyo. Muneyori paced back and forth endlessly unable on a decision while uneasy thoughts crept into his mind, was Nobuhide dissatisfied with me? Should I march back south and reinforce him against the Imagawa? Should I wait for orders to arrive before acting?

He came to a significant breakthrough in all his pacing, Muneyori would have to take matters into his own hands. Muneyori instantly assembled his forces in Mino province providing a large enough garrison to defend Inokuchi if need be. He was going to take destiny into his own hands. Muneyori marched his forced towards South Shinano, a province in the mountains equipped with an impressive stone quarry. This precious commodity of sturdy stone would bolster the Oda clan’s economy and provide a significant chokepoint into Eastern Honshu.

Muneyori arrived at Iida and for two seasons the Kiso clan, masters of South Shinano province remained inside devoid of supplies of any sort. He had no intelligence on the Kiso clan, their affiliations with other clans, possible alliances and their military strengths. They could be biding their time, waiting for reinforcements from elsewhere to relieve them. Muneyori grew displeased at the resilience of the Kiso clan, be patient he kept repeating in his thoughts, Nobuhide would never grow anxious. The heavens surely favoured the Oda clan, for how would they have come so far without it.

The Kiso clan rallied forward after two seasons of siege, their men limping forward. Signs of exhaustion were apparent, their men could barely stand up straight, and their only focus was putting one foot in front of the other. Muneyori estimated that the Kiso clan’s force was equal in size from what he had seen marching out of Iida to meet them in open field.

Muneyori positioned his force atop a sizable hill, with an incline that proved to be a challenge even for his own men to scale. The Kiso clan slowly advanced the hill while arrows continued to plummet from the skies. By the time the Kiso clan had reached the top to meet Muneyori’s men they were exhausted, bloodied and few in number and yet they charged into Oda lines, an honorable path into death.

The Kiso Daimyo did little to encourage his men, sitting at the bottom of the hill unable to witness the massacre that was occurring to his own force. He attempted to flee the battle upon witnessing the Oda Mon appear at the crest of the hill overlooking him. He had no more men to sacrifice, only a handful of bowmen and his personal retainers, defeat was imminent that he understood perfectly. Muneyori urged his men forward, charging downhill to slay the cowardly Kiso who would not meet death honorably from Oda hands. Muneyori abruptly ordered his men to stop charging and form battle formations once again. The Kiso daimio was fleeing straight into a fairly thick and dense forest from which an army had emerged suddenly, however it was not bearing the Kiso Mon.

This unknown force doubled that of which Muneyori had fielded that battle. They all bore the colour red and black, looking like bloodied demons from afar. Muneyori gritted his teeth together, this would be a challenge even for Nobuhide’s aptitude for battle. The Kiso daimyo and his remaining men were greeted by the unknown force with a hail of arrows and was met with a cavalry charge swiftly afterwards. The Kiso daimyo could not escape death after all, only escaping death from an Oda blade. Muneyori was startled by the turn of events, what would become of South Shinano now.

The unknown force then sent forth cavalry forward towards Muneyori’s force with signs of peace. One man broke away from his other companions and surged forward towards the Oda lines, his steed a hair’s length away from feeling the end of an Oda yari.

“I am Shingen of the Takeda Clan, who is in charge of this great host of men?

Muneyori could not believe it, how could he have not recognized the Takeda Mon, master horsemen from Kai province. “I am in charge, what is it you wish to discuss?”

Shingen was an impressive man, towering over men with not his height but the charisma that seemed to radiate from him. “It seems that you have beaten the Kiso, and are the new masters of South Shinano, I humbly request that we open trade so that we may prosper from one another”

Muneyori’s thoughts seemed to travel at half speed; it seemed as if time slowed down under the presence of Shingen. He replied as intelligently as he could under such captivating conditions “Yes, very well I accept your offer. However I must ask you a question, do you know who it is that you are consorting with?”

“I presume that you are the Oda from Owari province? Is your daimyo not Nobuhide Oda?” replied Shingen in a calm and orderly manner, speaking with immeasurable confidence.

“How do you not know if it is Nobuhide speaking before you right now at this very moment?”

“Nobuhide’s reputation exceeds him, and I know that if you were Nobuhide then we would be meeting with blades instead of words” Shingen responded and gestured towards Muneyori before departing quickly towards his own men.

Spring 1547: The Battle of Sunpu
    Shortly after the conquest of Totomi province, Nobuhide marshaled his men once more heading east towards Suruga province. His remaining force consisted of only half of what it was originally when it first met the Imagawa in Mikawa province. Nobuhide was utterly devoted to the destruction of the Imagawa clan, pushing forth even when every single advisor considered against. Nobuhide frowned at such cowardice, what useless advisors he had if they had no real ambition. He also frowned at the lack of Muneyori’s presence, this is what he needs to learn, to have real ambition, real resolve that is what the Oda clan requires if it is to reach greatness. His foul mood was over as quickly as it had started, this is why he was the one, the one destined to create real change.

During the march towards Suruga province, scouts returned to Nobuhide bearing intelligence regarding the Imagawa. The Imagawa had raised another force which remained encamped on the border between Totomi and Suruga while they attempted to recruit more men from across the countryside. Nobuhide smirked at the news, and ordered his men to abandon the road and enter the forest underneath the mountain side. Nobuhide assigned a handful of his own personal retainers to scout ahead in the forest, eliminating any scouts the Imagawa had assigned.

He quickly shuttered at the thought of having once feared the Imagawa, they were weak and only possessed a military with only one merit, numerically outnumbering foes. Unfortunately, their inept leaders could never make use of such a military. Nobuhide’s force marched through the dark, and dense forest completely bypassing the Imagawa force stationed at the border into Suruga province.

The Oda force arrived at the walls of Sunpu briefly before the Imagawa force could find its way back to defend their last castle town. Nobuhide had deliberately revealed that he had snuck past the Imagawa in order to cut off their retreat into Sunpu. This way he could defeat them on open field, well within the sight of Sunpu demoralizing all those willing to defy him.

The battle was short lived as Nobuhide positioned his force atop a steep incline, forcing the Imagawa to climb up towards certain death. The Imagawa general eager to return left his main force behind scaling on foot to reinforce Sunpu sprinted alongside his retainers. Their steeds heaved as they charged up the steep incline not expecting the Oda force to be awaiting his arrival. Before he could react in any way possible, he transfixed himself and his retainers into the Oda yari wall. His men was met with the same fate upon reaching the top, blood was flowing down towards the other Imagawa men and it greatly shook their morale, they had yet to learn of their general's death.

The Imagawa broke and began to flee once carcasses of their former brother in arms began to roll down the hill. Gravity as well as morale put an end to Imagawa resistance. Nobuhide walked his force into Sunpu with no resistance, the Imagawa Mon bloodied and tattered was dragged through the streets. Nobuhide looked up into the sky, knowing full well that news of the Imagawa’s eradication would bring a reputation to the Oda clan, all will know to fear us.

Side Note Bigger pictures or smaller pictures? More pictures or less pictures? Let me know!

Last edited by SanyuXV; October 19, 2015 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 10/19/2015)

The Tiger of Kai only wanting to trade? Seems like something else is going on.....

Gravity as well as morale put an end to Imagawa resistance.
    I liked this little sentence, thought it wrapped up the end of the battle nicely.

Also, the pictures were really good. Perfect size for my laptop (don't know about others), clean borders and a good amount. If you wanted, you could remove the floating banners to give them a more cinematic feel but pretty good nonetheless.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I'm enjoying the contrast between the indecisive Muneyori and the unbending determination of Nobuhide. (It seems that both commanders share the quality of taking full advantage of the terrain.) I liked the mysterious arrival of the unknown force in red and black. All will know to fear the Oda, indeed - but will their fear lead them to fight or flight?

Your pictures look great to me, both in size and quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    The Tiger of Kai only wanting to trade? Seems like something else is going on.....

I liked this little sentence, thought it wrapped up the end of the battle nicely.

Also, the pictures were really good. Perfect size for my laptop (don't know about others), clean borders and a good amount. If you wanted, you could remove the floating banners to give them a more cinematic feel but pretty good nonetheless.
    Thank you Merch! Yes, Shingen is some shady business... he rolled up to my stack right as the Kiso sallied and decided to reinforce me and then got booted off my land because of game mechanics It made for a really interesting twist though!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm enjoying the contrast between the indecisive Muneyori and the unbending determination of Nobuhide. (It seems that both commanders share the quality of taking full advantage of the terrain.) I liked the mysterious arrival of the unknown force in red and black. All will know to fear the Oda, indeed - but will their fear lead them to fight or flight?

Your pictures look great to me, both in size and quantity.
    Thank you Alwyn! Fight or flight? It all depends on who is leading the army! (Nobuhide doesn't understand the notion of flight)

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I liked that chapter.

I like your description of the weakened state of the Kiso after the siege - and the whole thing with Takeda Shingen does seem kind of odd...

And I agree with everyone else - your pictures look good here.
    (Although some of the trees in the background do seem to be floating. That's obviously not your fault, though!)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

another great update indeed, finally found some time to read it

I'm not very fond of Shogun2 (never really catched me), but I'm enjoying pretty much the way you present the whole thing
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    I liked that chapter.

I like your description of the weakened state of the Kiso after the siege - and the whole thing with Takeda Shingen does seem kind of odd...

And I agree with everyone else - your pictures look good here.
    (Although some of the trees in the background do seem to be floating. That's obviously not your fault, though!)
    Thanks Caillagh! Yes I'll have to be careful around that Takeda Shingen & thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    another great update indeed, finally found some time to read it

I'm not very fond of Shogun2 (never really catched me), but I'm enjoying pretty much the way you present the whole thing
    Glad you are enjoying it Flinn! If you aren't well we can arrange a deal behind closed doors...

Side Note Next update will be stalled for the meanwhile because as much of an avid TotalWar player I am, I cannot stay away from SC2 LOTV! I'll be back as soon as possible though! Until next time dear friends and readers.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

I like these latest turns! I'm intrigued and can't wait to learn what happens next.

What is SC2 LOTV?

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Blog Entries

this must be Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void I guess

Quote Originally Posted by SanyuXV View Post

Glad you are enjoying it Flinn! If you aren't well we can arrange a deal behind closed doors...
    never mess with the Dude, dude
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    I like these latest turns! I'm intrigued and can't wait to learn what happens next.

What is SC2 LOTV?
    Yeah, what Flinn said it's Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Next update will be a warm up chapter, I haven't been writing a lot lately so I need to get back into the hang of it. The next 2 or so updates will be of a more political nature, and we'll jump right back into the grind! Forgive me for the long wait, exams are finally over and with the holidays soon approaching I will have more time to play the game and get going on this AAR again

Chapter Four: Kato Bontenmaru

Summer 1547: Outskirts of Sunpu

Nobuhide held his breath, his body as still as the mountains above him. The young fawn leapt out of the grass in a crazed frenzy, startled by the howling of his men. The instant the fawn had broken away from the cover of foliage, Nobuhide released the pressure on the string and sent the arrow flying true to its target. The arrow landed right above the young fawn’s head into the thick trunk of the tree behind it. The howling stopped as the men approached the scene, the fawn absent and their daimyo staring blankly at the destination of the arrow.

A capable man approached Nobuhide, handing him a scroll, a message of some sorts. Nobuhide unfurled it and began reading, his dull state of mind sharpening to the tip of a blade once again.

“Bring me my horse; we must return to Sunpu immediately, a great shadow descends upon us.”

Nobuhide rolled and quickly tucked the scroll into the inside of his garment; his men who were previously howling in jest to chase a fawn had sobered up instantly at the sound of his voice. They formed ranks to protect their daimyo and proceeded to exit the woods, and head back into the safety of Sunpu.

The woods were not a great distance from the recently captured settlement of Sunpu but the plains that separated the woods beneath the mountain and Sunpu felt vast, never ending until the land sunk into the sandy shores. The people of Sunpu were still resisting the Oda clan since the occupation last season but to no true avail, the Imagawa were gone, cut from history. Moments away from the gate of Sunpu, a rider was fast approaching Nobuhide and his envoy of samurai retainers from the rear.

“A message, I bear a message for the Oda Clan! It is of urgent news and requires attention immediately, my daimyo Hojo Totome demands it!”

The rider was generating a cloud of dust beneath his steed, with no signs of stopping anytime soon. Nobuhide had heard the entire statement, the instant the man had uttered the word ‘demand’ his lip curled. Nobuhide raised his hand towards one of his retainers issuing an order; the same vigorous man that had delivered the message earlier in the woods. The retainers and their daimyo continued forth towards Sunpu at the same pace earlier before the arrival of the bellowing messenger from the Hojo clan.

The lone retainer stood on the dirt path with his yari in hand, awaiting the messenger on horseback. The brown steed was mighty but his rider however, was pale in comparison. The lone retainer stood his ground in the very middle of the dirt path, a direct obstacle to the course of the messenger. The brown steed barely grinded to a stop in front of him, kicking forth a cloud of dust and then raising forth its front legs knocking off its rider into the dirt below. The retainer raised his hand towards the steed and soothed it into a calm state, mounting it afterwards. The messenger still dazed raised his hands towards the back of his head to cease the bleeding.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING? ARE YOU MAD, MY DAIMYO WILL HAVE YOUR HEAD FOR THIS” the messenger grunted in obvious pain.

The lone retainer replied firmly, his voice of a husky essence “The Oda don’t take demands, the Oda give them”. He turned the brown stead towards the direction of Sunpu and started to pick up speed letting out one more announcement to the bewildered messenger.

“If you will have my head, you will need to know my name, I am Kato Bontenmaru.”

Default Re: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 12/22/2015)

Great chapter! I wonder what the first message contained, which Nobuhide interpreted with such an ominous image (a 'great shadow). I enjoyed Nobuhide's reaction to the second messenger's 'demand' and the lone retainer's response to the messenger. Kate Bontenmaru is a confident one, I wonder whether if he will regret announcing his name.

I liked the transition from a peaceful, if not intense, hunt to the serious nature of whatever message the Hojo have sent. And Botenmaru's confidence looks like it might get him and Nobuhide into some trouble.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

I like this Kato Botenmaru. He seems like he would walk with all the swagger of a Shogun II samurai

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Great chapter! I wonder what the first message contained, which Nobuhide interpreted with such an ominous image (a 'great shadow). I enjoyed Nobuhide's reaction to the second messenger's 'demand' and the lone retainer's response to the messenger. Kate Bontenmaru is a confident one, I wonder whether if he will regret announcing his name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    I liked the transition from a peaceful, if not intense, hunt to the serious nature of whatever message the Hojo have sent. And Botenmaru's confidence looks like it might get him and Nobuhide into some trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    I like this Kato Botenmaru. He seems like he would walk with all the swagger of a Shogun II samurai
    It seems the rollback that happened earlier in the year erased my response. Despite that setback I would like to thank you all for your continued support and kind words! The next few updates may be more slower paced and political as I try to ease myself back into writing and playing Shogun II as it has been a long while since I have been anywhere near it. Hopefully the quality of work will not be complete garbage and I'll get back to my subpar writing as usual, no promises though

Default Re: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 05/09/2016)

Chapter Five: Uninvited Guests

Summer 1547: Sunpu
    Several guards were posted to Sunpu’s main gate and during their active patrol of the area they had sighted an immense dust storm approaching the settlement. Out of this storm came forth a lone rider, and his small host of men.

“It is Lord Nobuhide, quick open the gates!” yelled one of the guards stationed on top the walls.

Nobuhide rode into the settlement, and remained motionless for a short moment. His mind still preoccupied with the message that Kato had given him earlier. However, his face like an unwavering mountain would give up no indication. Whether it is fear, joy or any emotion a human would be able to produce, Nobuhide would not yield to it in the public eye.

“You there, report. Has anything happened while I was away?” questioned Nobuhide as he signaled his hand towards one of the guards. His men oblivious to the fact that Nobuhide’s mind had just transitioned back onto reality.

The man knelt before his Daimyo and reported that a messenger from the Satomi Clan had arrived prior to his arrival and was awaiting him in the main hall.

“Very well, you may return to your post” replied Nobuhide as he thanked the man and the other guards for their diligence on the protection of Sunpu.

Nobuhide dismounted his loyal steed and proceeded to walk through Sunpu with his retainers in close proximity. He was a firm believer in walking amongst the common folk, to walk the path that others have done so before him; it was reminiscent of a quieter time, those being memories of home, of Owari. Amidst all the chaos, and clamor of the busy streets there was a calming sensation to it all.

Seconds after Nobuhide had arrived in the main hall, the small sense of serenity he acquired was lost. The messenger from the Satomi Clan was brought into the main hall as Nobuhide’s advisors converged on the same location.

“I bring an offer from the Satomi Clan, my instructions are not to leave until you have given an answer” announced the messenger. The messenger was tall in stature, but other than that he had no physical discrepancies to differentiate himself from other men.

“Daimyo Satomi Yoshitaka brings to you a grand proposal, one that will benefit both the Oda Clan and the Satomi Clan. He proposes an alliance between our great clans but to ensure this alliance he has but one request, a military coalition against the Hojo Clan. In return, my Daimyo Satomi Yoshitaka ensures that you will receive 50% of the gold being produced from the mines in Izu, the last remaining stronghold of the Hojo Clan.”

Nobuhide sat in contemplation, slowly digesting every word the messenger had spoken. His hands resting on his lap, fingers intertwined like the roots of a great cherry blossom tree. Just as Nobuhide was planning to respond, an announcement of a second messenger had arrived. This messenger directly contrasted from the first, he was shorter and was covered from head to toe in dirt, sweat and lines of blood running from his head. Nobuhide recognized him as the bellowing messenger from the Hojo Clan.

“Don’t listen to this Satomi dog, lord Nobuhide. I apologize for offending you earlier but it was and still is my mission to fulfill the wishes of my Daimyo Hojo Totome.” The two messengers scowled and glared at each other with bloody intent, as two guards positioned themselves in between them to stop any hostile action from occurring.

“Hojo Totome offers an alliance with the Hojo clan and in return the Oda Clan must help repel the Satomi clan from our former lands. The Hojo clan offers indefinite military access through our lands and we will open all trade routes with the Oda Clan.” The bloodied messenger declared while brushing dirt off him only to pause when one of Nobuhide’s retainers slightly unsheathed his wakizashi.

Nobuhide remained static as he sat before them, the hall void of all noise. Only the howling wind was defiant enough to break the silence that had befallen the main hall. Nobuhide gestured his hand and replied to the both of them with immense clarity, “I have heard enough, you are dismissed.”

“I mean no disrespect my lord, but I am not allowed to return until you have given an answer” the Satomi messenger uttered quickly in response. The Hojo messenger nodded in unison with the messenger’s response, both tasked with the same mission.

“And I have given an answer, tell your daimyo’s that they shall have their answer soon enough, you are dismissed. Whether you choose to return to give that answer is up to you, however you will not stay here as uninvited guests. ” Both messengers were promptly escorted out of the main hall, and eventually out of Sunpu.

“Bring me our reports on both clans, and find Kato Bontenmaru. I am in great need of his counsel.” Nobuhide rose from his seat and proceeded into his personal chambers. His footsteps heavy echoed down the vacant halls, each step heavy in thought.

Note The wakizashi being worn together with the katana was the official sign that the wearer was a samurai or swordsman of feudal Japan. The katana was the big or long sword and the wakizashi the companion sword.

Reports

Great chapter, I enjoyed Nobuhide's respond to the two messengers. Nobuhide's response sounds ominous for both the Hojo and the Satomi. I wonder what Kato Bontenmaru's advice will be.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Very glad to see this is still going. I, also, look forward to hearing the words of Kato Bontenmaru.

Blog Entries

only the finest quality here, as usual great addition, I love how the character of Nobuhide is well defined and in line with the mentality of the time. GJ

Great chapter, I enjoyed Nobuhide's respond to the two messengers. Nobuhide's response sounds ominous for both the Hojo and the Satomi. I wonder what Kato Bontenmaru's advice will be.
    Yup some tough decisions lay ahead for Nobuhide and the Oda Clan!

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    Very glad to see this is still going. I, also, look forward to hearing the words of Kato Bontenmaru.
    Kato Bontenmaru might have something to say, and he might not. We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    only the finest quality here, as usual great addition, I love how the character of Nobuhide is well defined and in line with the mentality of the time. GJ
    Thanks Flinn, I'm glad you're enjoying Nobuhide's character. He's one complicated fellow.

Announcement Thanks to you fine gentlemen and other readers for continuing to follow this AAR and the journey of the Oda Clan. Hopefully there will be a battle in the next update, if not then.... that's just unfortunate and I apologize beforehand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast