Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2d and 3d graphics thread.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The 2d and 3d graphics thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vikior View Post
    Excellent work on the units. One small thing though

I'm no historian, but to me these seem like the Slavs of the early middle ages. For example, I'm pretty sure that the Slavs of the 5th century didn't have access to that amount of mail armour. They probably looked something more alike to this:
    Thanks for your feedback vikior. Currently the Slavic roster has a Light Spear Infantry and a Light Skirmish Infantry based on the Infantry man in the photo you posted, plus a horse archer unit.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    The slavic 2 handed axe unit looks extremly good. However, I am quite curious on what sources you have based it? As far as I know Slavs of those times did not have much of heavy armoured units, most of the better equipped ones being probably cavalry/mounted infantry retainers of Slavic warlords or mercaneries in foreign services.
    The problem we have with the slavs is that not so much is known of them in the middle of the 5th century AD. At this time period they where probably under the yoke of the Huns, and much much later did they migrated to the Balkans up to the Limes Danubis. So apart from having many light infantry and cavalry, their nobles both on foot and on horseback, and elite retainers of Kings and Nobles would have had access to more heavy equipment. Like other steppe people they would have came across other steppe cultures that used such equipment and used it. As much as the Longobardi where influenced by the Avars so must have the early Slavs been influenced by both the Huns and their subordinates like the Heruli and Gepidae. The photos midnite used as his base are all early medieval reenactments, but as we know nothing of the Slavs, some artistic license is needed here, and midnite have done a great work.

Cheers

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by vikior View Post
    Excellent work on the units. One small thing though

I'm no historian, but to me these seem like the Slavs of the early middle ages. For example, I'm pretty sure that the Slavs of the 5th century didn't have access to that amount of mail armour. They probably looked something more alike to this:

http://www.ancientmilitary.com/images/Slav-Warriors.jpg
    Truth is somewhere in the middle.
    Recent discoveries in 6th century Roman (byzantine) military reports indigate that Slaviv tribes had some heavily armored warriors both on foot or mounted.
    Its true though that the vast majority of their 6th century warriors looked like these.
    But the unit Attila TW placed as town guards were actually "spesial forces" of the Empire.
    They were long range reconaisance units (like modern SAS) to spot army gatherings and if possible kill Slavic leaders. Those units reports that discovered recently prove the existance -at least rate- of all kind of cavalry and heavily (what heavily meens is another story) infantry. Remember that Slavs had many steppe influences.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slaviclevy.jpg   protoslavlevy.jpg  
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I do not claim to be a historian either and from what I know the Slavs of this period are very obsure people so definatelly some artistic licence is permitible. As far as I know there is consenzus that the Slavs of early 6th century which were able to organize the large-scale military expedition against Romans had to have some degree of advanced military organization and the top tier of their military leadership should be able to afford quality equipment. However the unit in question as well as reference pictures shows clearly the Norse influenced slavic equipment of eastern Slavs or western Slavs settled along the balic coast and I would date it in the period between 9th and 11th century (although I doubt the the presence of some of the helmet types from the pictures in Slavic military equipment). Slavs of the 5th and 6th century would be probably more influenced by the military equipment of Huns and eastern Germans. If I should make an educated guess Slavic nobility and veteran retainres would be equiped in similar fashion like their counterparts form the ranks of Goths, Gepids and Longobards.
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; April 29, 2016 at 03:40 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I agree..Hunnic and Avaric influences fit..because they were Slav people overlords or purcecutors and in all cases they lived side by side for long times.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I agree..Hunnic and Avaric influences fit..because they were Slav people overlords or purcecutors and in all cases they lived side by side for long times.
    That is exactly my view too on the Slavs, and thanks for your educational views Antonius.

Cheers

midnite's Avatar Citizen

A remake of the slavic 2 handed axe unit. Less chain mail, some leather armor, less helmets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slavichvyaxe2.jpg  
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Well one for the critics, well done midnite.

cheers

Well done, now they look more realistic without all that heavy armour. I would also advice to remove gjermundbu style helmet and leave only the variaton of simple spangethelms with amd without nasals (eventually few with cheekguards) but still I respect your artistic licence
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; May 01, 2016 at 08:05 AM.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

A few pics of units in progress/finished

eastern roman , huns, anglo saxon mercs, ostrogoths and some mercs available for hire.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	341073
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails merc2.jpg   merc1.jpg   ostro.jpg   eastrome3.jpg   eastrome2.jpg  

eastrome1.jpg   huns2.jpg   huns.jpg   anglosaxon_merc1.jpg  
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

midnite's Avatar Citizen

and some more mercs --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails merc4.jpg   merc5.jpg  

Nice! +rep

midnite's Avatar Citizen

A banner pic for the Anglo - Saxon faction

(still under construction)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saxonbanner1.jpg  
    Last edited by midnite; March 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

A clash of armies -- armies of britain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clash1.jpg  

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Very nice work, midnite!

super!

Nice

When will we see such a beautiful mod?

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    A banner pic for the Anglo - Saxon faction

(still under construction)
    Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    A clash of armies -- armies of britain
    Looks great!
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

midnite's Avatar Citizen

a couple of pics of a desert merc unit fighting romans of course. Approx 85% done. Not seen by anyone except me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newdesert2.jpg   newdesert1.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast